CD-writer noise/reading problems

Rdn

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2003
Hello, all. Recently, I had some problems with my two optical drives - for my DVD-ROM's part, it turned out to be a faulty IDE cable, so I exchanged the IDE cables for both the DVD-ROM and the CD-writer.

One of the things I tried to do with the CD-RW before switching its IDE cable, was run to run a CD-cleaner disc in my CD-RW, and the real problems started after this point.

Before, it used to read CD's perfectly, also the lightly dirty/damaged ones that my DVD-ROM had problems with. Now, it has big problems reading discs.

It doesn't seem to misburn, (though the burning laser spins down and up again sometimes during burning) but when I use a CD that I've burnt with my writer, it causes initialization problems with the reader, as if it was dirty/damaged. Luckily, once my DVD-ROM has managed to struggle past the initialization phase, the data seems to be fine.

Also, when it tries to read, it emits a very loud and erratic noise that I haven't heard before I ran the CD-cleaner. It's not present when the burn process has come a bit on its way.

Could the CD-cleaner disc have done this, or could it be another problem?

Plextor PX-W1610A (firmware was updated), 2 years old, haven't really burned many CD-Rs at all.

Should I pop the hood and manually clean the laser? I've done it a few times at high school (in the electronics classes), and the warranty isn't in effect anymore.

rahimiv

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2003
that was probably your mistake, dont use the cleaning disc, you can either knock the head out of alignment or scratch the lens (despite how "clean" those brushes are you just dont know). Best way to remove dust is to use a can of compressed air, or if you got shop air and can get a hose into your computer room that'll work too...