Which 80GB HD are you have with your P2B

JohnTheLuck

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
My Maxtor DiamondMax 40GB now gives me a SMART warning, so I am looking for a replacement. I want to upgrade to a 80GB. I bought today a Western Digital WD800JB 80GB 8Meg buffer, only to find that it is not recognized correctly by my BIOS. It sees only it as 32GB (my old 40GB is recognized as a 40GB though...).

Instead of trying all brands by myself, can you tell me which 80GB disk you are running on your P2B, and the BIOS version. Please be specific by including the mfg model number. Here is my system spec :

ASUS P2B rev 1.2,
BIOS 1014beta3,
Maxtor DiamondMax 54098H8

Thanks,

JTL

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BIOS 1014 beta will fix all your problems, it allows for large hard drives and CPU multipliers higher than 10x (for upgrades). I'm a board referbisher and have used it on all my P2B's.

Your Rev. 1.2 can run a Celeron 1400 on the $20 Upgradeware Slot-T adapter! Or if you would like more performance for less money, the Tualatin Celeron 1100@1466 is a choice option (but running a 133MHz bus overclocks your AGP slot).

So get that BIOS!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

JohnTheLuck

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2003
Crashman,

I am effectively running BIOS 1014beta3. I should have been clearer, and indicated that I have an PowerLeap PL-iP/3T slot1 adapter, hosting an Intel Thualatin PIII 1.4Ghz. My FSB is still at 100Mhz.

The only problem is the upgrade of the HD. My old 40GB Maxtor is recognized correctly, while the WD800JB isn't. I ran WD utilities to debug BIOS issue, which confirm that the HD is not recognized at its full capacity. It is not a jumper or auto detect problem.

Any HD make and model you know for sure is running with this configuration ?

JTL

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I ran my WD800JB on a P3B-F with the same BIOS version, no problems. For many months in fact. Considering the BIOS between the P2B and P3B is nearly identicle, I'm not understanding why it's causing a problem. In fact, the BIOS limit of older versions was less than 40GB, something like 37GB! So if your board supports a 40GB drive, it should support up to 127GB drives!

Are you sure your BIOS is set to Auto instead of the drive type of your last drive? Did you try going into BIOS and choosing the detect hard drive option?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, BTW, WD drives are jumpered differently for Master and Single. If it's single, remove the jumper. If it's master, put the jumper in the Master position.