Qusetion on mixing from real situations

Last response: in Home Audio
September 26, 2005 1:07:51 AM

I have a lot of common question about mixers, but I want to learn from live
examples. Is there a book (or web site) out there someone can recommend,
that shows HOW to hook up a mixers and patch cables to outboard gear and to
monitors using REAL examples, like

Exercise 2 : capturing an acoustic guitar with one mic

Exercise 12 : running a sub mix to a headphone

Exercise 42 : creating a compressed stereo mix of all channels

Exercise 65 : feeding FOH

Etc. Just regular stuff, but showing hookups and nomenclature.... This is
the kind of thing a LIVE sound engineer would know backwards...

Thanks in advance...
September 26, 2005 2:05:00 AM

"My Last Sigh" <mylastsigh@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a lot of common question about mixers, but I want to learn from live
>examples. Is there a book (or web site) out there someone can recommend,
>that shows HOW to hook up a mixers and patch cables to outboard gear and to
>monitors using REAL examples, like
>
> Exercise 2 : capturing an acoustic guitar with one mic
>
> Exercise 12 : running a sub mix to a headphone
>
> Exercise 42 : creating a compressed stereo mix of all channels
>
> Exercise 65 : feeding FOH
>
> Etc. Just regular stuff, but showing hookups and nomenclature.... This
> is the kind of thing a LIVE sound engineer would know backwards...
>
> Thanks in advance...

One nice little secret weapon for gaining this kind of knowledge for
free....download the manuals for the various pieces of equipment you're
thinking of using, and look for the application guides that are often
supplied with them. Some of them are a bit cryptic, but others will be
quite helpful. Between the diagrams and the manual text, there's a lot to
learn. Many mixer manuals will supply a few diagrams for #12 and 65. Any
number of compressor manuals will tell you about #42, complete with hookup
diagrams. Shure has some good tech stuff for microphone technique on their
website that might help with #2. For example, to get an overview of FOH
processing, you can download the manual for a DBX Driverack 260 from DBX's
website. It's an all-in-one unit that supplies the EQ, compression and
crossover functions(among other things) that you might want between your
mixer and your amps. It has sections that discuss the functions of each of
it's stages, and by reading those you can learn a lot about what the various
pieces of equipment do. Because it's designed as a one-stop solution, just
looking at what features they included is a good way to learn what equipment
you might expect to want.

Happy hunting,
Walt
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 9:32:42 AM

My Last Sigh wrote:

> I have a lot of common question about mixers, but I want to learn from live
> examples. Is there a book (or web site) out there someone can recommend,
> that shows HOW to hook up a mixers and patch cables to outboard gear and to
> monitors using REAL examples, like
>
> Exercise 2 : capturing an acoustic guitar with one mic
>
> Exercise 12 : running a sub mix to a headphone
>
> Exercise 42 : creating a compressed stereo mix of all channels
>
> Exercise 65 : feeding FOH
>
> Etc. Just regular stuff, but showing hookups and nomenclature.... This is
> the kind of thing a LIVE sound engineer would know backwards...
>
> Thanks in advance...

Hmmm.... Interesting question.

The live sound guys - alt.audio.pro.live-sound - swear by a Yamaha book.

Since there simply was no book when I started. I just worked it out for myself.
I recall that Studio Sound had the occasionanl article about live mixing but it
was pretty much a case of go out there and get dirty.

Graham
September 26, 2005 9:32:43 AM

Pooh Bear <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

> My Last Sigh wrote:
>
> > I have a lot of common question about mixers, but I want to learn from live
> > examples. Is there a book (or web site) out there someone can recommend,
> > that shows HOW to hook up a mixers and patch cables to outboard gear and to
> > monitors using REAL examples, like
> >
> > Exercise 2 : capturing an acoustic guitar with one mic
> >
> > Exercise 12 : running a sub mix to a headphone
> >
> > Exercise 42 : creating a compressed stereo mix of all channels
> >
> > Exercise 65 : feeding FOH
> >
> > Etc. Just regular stuff, but showing hookups and nomenclature.... This is
> > the kind of thing a LIVE sound engineer would know backwards...
> >
> > Thanks in advance...
>
> Hmmm.... Interesting question.
>
> The live sound guys - alt.audio.pro.live-sound - swear by a Yamaha book.

_Sound Reinforcement_ from Yamaha - excellent book.

--
ha
September 27, 2005 12:59:45 AM

WJ wrote:
> One nice little secret weapon for gaining this kind of knowledge for
> free....download the manuals for the various pieces of equipment you're
> thinking of using, and look for the application guides that are often
> supplied with them.

On that note, Mackie manuals are good like that. It's been a while since
I've looked at one specifically, but I bet a manual for their 24x8
console would have a lot of diagrams for hooking gear up to it. Might be
very helpful to the original poster.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 3:25:22 AM

> On that note, Mackie manuals are good like that. It's been a while since
> I've looked at one specifically, but I bet a manual for their 24x8
> console would have a lot of diagrams for hooking gear up to it. Might be
> very helpful to the original poster.

And note that since the principles are pretty much the same from box to
box, it can be worth reading the manuals for other products to look for
tips and alternatives.
!