How to change 64 bit windows 7 to 32 bit?

marc777

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Installed windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. Have a software which is only compatible with 32 bit. Can I adjust the windows 7 work with the 32 bit software?

marc777

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Is there any legacy feature in the windows 7 ultimate? This software has five parts, one part of it is not compatible with 64 bit version, the other 4 parts work fine.

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007

I had originally started with vista 32 and just reinstalled 64 bit with the same oem key with no problems.

G

32 bit software should work, some older 32bit software may require turning off UAC and running as admin using compatibility settings, but not found any 32bit programs I cannot get to run on Win7 64bit.

If the program relies on 16bit emulation you are out of luck then as no 16bit emulation in 64bit windows, they decided to leave that legacy of Win 98 out and rightfully so!

4745454b

Titan
I'd be looking for different software.

One option might be to upgrade to the version of 7 that comes with a copy of XP. It won't have video acceleration, but you'll be able to run many programs. That or grab something like VMware and run your copy of XP virtually. Virtualbox is a program that might work for you, and its free.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Junior73

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Windows 7 64 bit has whats called wow64 that allows you to run 32 bit aplications on the 64 bit system, it will be a bit slower as it dosnt utalize the 64 bit address. If you have an old 16/32 bit app, you can use virtual pc/virtual xp to run it, MS has alot of info on it.

Junior73

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Dose Virtual box actually work on Windows virtual 7? I guess all the info that I have read on the MS boads say that Virtual box was more for VM 2007, and that VM 7 had virtual xp to deal with most of the issues related to legacy systems.

4745454b

Titan
I didn't even think to check if it supports win7. I didn't see anything in there about it doing so. In the docs section, it does say under Host OS,

Windows Vista hosts might show an error about a COM server not being accessible. This is a problem of our installation routine which we have not figured out yet. To fix the problem, open a command prompt shell and enter...

This tells me it will run on vista, but with problems. 7 isn't that much different, not sure how well it will work though. Seeing as he has ultimate edition he doesn't need to use this.

G

it is Matlab version 2009

dr9bob

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I installed Win7 - 32 Enterprise Edition bit on an old computer smoothly UNTIL I tried to do an Easy Transfer form my 64 bit Win7 computer to this newly set up 32 bit computer. Windows tells me that I can not do an Easy Transfer from a 64 bit to a 32 bit computer. So there. I'm stuck having to set up everything manually. Any Ideas?