GUI8 / Fritz8 buggy forever ... ?

Chessbase has not fixed some major bugs in Fritz8.

Example : the notorious Ctl+D (= insert diagram) in game annotation which
does not work properly (= invisible in game notation unless you print the
game !) under Fritz8 (last update : january 2005 ?!); it was only recently
(june 2005) corrected in CB9.

Chessbase never replied to my mail on that subject and I assume that today
their reply would be "buy Fritz9" (assuming they corrected that bug at
last).

It is sad that they lack so much discipline in program maintenance...

ceebee

"Gilles Garrigues" <gilles.garriguesZ@Zwanadoo.fr> wrote in
rec.games.chess.computer:

> Chessbase has not fixed some major bugs in Fritz8.
>
> Example : the notorious Ctl+D (= insert diagram) in game annotation which
> does not work properly (= invisible in game notation unless you print the
> game !) under Fritz8

It doesn't work properly because you don't insert a diagram with CTRL-D in
Fritz 8. With CTRL-D you offer a draw.

There is no key combination assigned to the "insert diagram" command, You
have to chose it from the context menu when right clicking on the move you
want to annotate. In that case you'll see "diagram" written following the
move. Of course you can change/customize the assigment to the CTRL-D
shortcut in tools -> customize

> Chessbase never replied to my mail on that subject

No wonder.

> It is sad that they lack so much discipline in program maintenance...

Independent of _their_ (assumed) bugs: I'd wish they were the only ones.
Alas.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***

Smithers

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Op 24 Sep 2005 14:37:10 GMT schreef CeeBee:

> "Gilles Garrigues" <gilles.garriguesZ@Zwanadoo.fr> wrote in
> rec.games.chess.computer:

> It doesn't work properly because you don't insert a diagram with CTRL-D in
> Fritz 8. With CTRL-D you offer a draw.
>
> There is no key combination assigned to the "insert diagram" command,

You're wrong. In the window where you make notes (the window pops up at
Ctrl+A), Ctrl+D means: insert diagram

Hi,

your german isn´t as bad as you might think. I am sure that they
understood you.

Mike

> Vielen dank. Ich moechte ChessBase auf (mein schlimmes) deutsch
> schreiben. Deutsch (und franzoesich, und italienish) ist mein
> "hobby."

Gilles Garrigues <gilles.garriguesZ@Zwanadoo.fr> wrote:
> PS : Maybe some day the creators of Zappa or Fruit will give CB a rude
> awakening.

Perhaps. It's very interesting that there are now freely-available
engines of the same kind of strength as the best commercial engines. At
the moment, Fritz seems to be better suited to analysis than any of the
free engines I've seen, though I've not yet looked at any of the new
super-strong free engines.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Natural Goldfish (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ fish but it's completely natural!

The only drawbacks I've seen with the free engines is you cannot access all
their features in an obvious way through the Fritz interface. Other than
that, they're very good.

* David Richerby <davidr@chiark.greenend.org.uk> (15:03) schrieb:

> Perhaps. It's very interesting that there are now freely-available
> engines of the same kind of strength as the best commercial engines. At
> the moment, Fritz seems to be better suited to analysis than any of the
> free engines I've seen, though I've not yet looked at any of the new
> super-strong free engines.

What does one expect from an engine that is »suited to analysis«?

mfg, simon .... l

Better comments than just "Doesn´t get the bull off the ice.".

cb-products do not fall in that category.

Mike

> What does one expect from an engine that is »suited to analysis«?
>
> mfg, simon .... l

Hi!

Hurra!!! (or Alas...) - Fruit 2.1 is commercial product now.

I am not happy yet...
Can't understand why...

Regards
SoloMoon