ATI AIW 9600 or 9700 Pro??

poopyman67

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2003
I need help!! I'm not sure which one I can get, the 9600's cheaper, but the 9700's faster!! Help!!

BTWL does anyone know how big a 30min recording of a TV would be??? Thx!!

Drexel

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2002
I got the 8500 AIW. I wish I got the 9700, because then I wouldnt feel the urge to update for a longer period of time. Anyways, in the ATI's vcr format, in (i think it was) good quality (there is dvd, good, longest and videoCD) a 30min video took up 500megs (yeah, its quite a bit) I myself am looking for a good software conversion to dvdX or divx. If anyone reads this can ya list some programs (free or not)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
At the highest quality and low resolution (VHS quality, I use for VCD MPG's), 30 minutes of TV takes up around 300MB. ATI VCR format takes up less space, MPG2 more space, etc.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I have the AIW 9800 pro, i had to RMA it though because of bad video memory. The AIW 9700 pro is probably the same as the 9800 and i really liked the 9800 in the short time it worked. But the 9600 has something that the 9800 doesn't have which really pissed me off. The AIW 9600 has a radio tuner in it. SOB, the high end model should have all that plus some. I didn't know that at the time I bought it but I think I'd still pick the 9800 Pro just for it's faster performance for future games.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The AIW 9600 Pro IS the high end one. The AIW 9800 is designed for gamers who watch TV, the 9600 version is geared more towards HTPC. Look at the 8500 series, the 8500DV (64MB) is downclocked and includes a 1394 controller, the AIW8500 (128MB) is full clocked and doesn't have the 1394 controller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Also remember that the AIW 9600P came out AFTER the AIW 9800P.

Chronology people! :wink:

Expect the next version (hopefully PCI-EX) to have all the newer features of the AIW 9600Pro.

Remember that WEDNESDAY at Rage3D they will be having a MultiMedia chat with the guys from ATI. Check out their site if you want to add a question.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Also remember that some of the EARLIEST ATI TV-Wonder cards had FM RADIO! It was later removed.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The hell if im going to settle for the 9600 as the high end one. I need more power. What fun is a game without 16*12 4xAA high quality graphics.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, the AIW 9600 Pro is nearly as fast as the 9600XT at stock speed, because it comes with the RAM clocked at 325 instead of the regular Pro's 300. The AIW 9800 has a 256-bit RAM bus which is twice as wide as the 9600 series, and 4 additional rendering pipes.

supersaki

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I just ordered an AIW 9800 pro because i won't be upgrading again for another 4 years maybe. Anyways, when I heard the 9800 doesn't come with fm tuner, but the 9600 does, i did the product comparison between them at ati. My question is, it shows the bus speed of the 9800 as AGP, but the 9600 as AGP 4x/8x. Does this mean the 9800 can't run at 4x/8x? or tell me its a typo or doesn't matter.

Yugi - Oh! NOT ON MY CARPET

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
9800 is 2x/4x/8x compatable, 9600 is 4x/8x only. Basically the 9800 fits more boards, this is true for all 9800 cards including AIW, Pro, XT.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let me rephrase that: 9800 is AGP Universal, with a max transfer rate of 8x. 9600 is not AGP Universal, because it won't fit 2x boards, and also has a max transfer rate of 8x.