Add a line out/headphone jack to a record player

Last response: in Home Audio
September 27, 2005 11:02:45 AM

Hey!
I am trying to record some music onto my computer from a vinyl
album. I have a record player, but it only has built in speakers and no

line out. This makes it impossible for me to connect it to my computer.

I was wondering if it were possible to rewire it so I could add a line
out minijack and connect it to my computer's sound card. How would I
wire this? There are two sets of three connections that say AUX and
PHONE. The three of each include: LEFT, RIGHT, and GROUND. I really
would appreciate the help in trying to get this to work. Thanks!!!
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 11:44:50 AM

packerfan6000@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hey!
> I am trying to record some music onto my computer from a vinyl
> album. I have a record player, but it only has built in speakers and no
>
> line out. This makes it impossible for me to connect it to my computer.
>
> I was wondering if it were possible to rewire it so I could add a line
> out minijack and connect it to my computer's sound card. How would I
> wire this? There are two sets of three connections that say AUX and
> PHONE. The three of each include: LEFT, RIGHT, and GROUND. I really
> would appreciate the help in trying to get this to work. Thanks!!!
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 11:48:16 AM

hey there...I am from the Green Bay area...howdy packerfan!!...you can
use an external solution...I bought a TerrTec Phase 26 USB ...its an
external sound card that connects to your PC via USB....this particular
solution has phono inputs and a phono pre-amp...specifically designed
to stream LP from a phono to the PC...then burn the compilation
later.....if you need more ...let me know...got the Phase 26 on eBay
for about $90
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 5:36:31 PM

Umm... I mean that there are absolutely NO outputs. (No phono or
anything). And I was wondering if I could just connect a 1/8 in. plug
onto the speaker leads. I don't know much about the 1/8 in. plug
schematics.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 6:59:19 PM

packerfan6000@yahoo.com wrote:
> Umm... I mean that there are absolutely NO outputs. (No phono or
> anything). And I was wondering if I could just connect a 1/8 in. plug
> onto the speaker leads.

Yes, you could do that. It won't sound very good but you can at least
play around with the concept and see if you want to improve things, if
it's good enough, or if it turns out to be more trouble than you
thought.

But if you don't know how to do it, you'd better get someone locally to
help you.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 4:10:43 AM

On 27 Sep 2005 13:36:31 -0700, packerfan6000@yahoo.com wrote:

>Umm... I mean that there are absolutely NO outputs. (No phono or
>anything). And I was wondering if I could just connect a 1/8 in. plug
>onto the speaker leads. I don't know much about the 1/8 in. plug
>schematics.

No! Unless you know otherwise, and fersure, fersure,
assume that this "record player" has a hot chassis
and is lethal to touch.

DO NOT do this. DO NOT.

Chris Hornbeck
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 9:03:30 AM

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

> No! Unless you know otherwise, and fersure, fersure,
> assume that this "record player" has a hot chassis
> and is lethal to touch.

If it's old enough to have a hot chassis, the speaker will be fed from
an output transformer, which will isolate the speaker leads from the
power line and any other high voltage.

Of course if he's not smart enough to unplug it before opening up the
case and it actually has a hot chassis, perhaps there will be fewer
follow-up questions.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 2:46:02 PM

<packerfan6000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey!
> I am trying to record some music onto my computer from a vinyl
> album. I have a record player, but it only has built in speakers and no
>
> line out. This makes it impossible for me to connect it to my computer.
>
> I was wondering if it were possible to rewire it so I could add a line
> out minijack and connect it to my computer's sound card. How would I
> wire this? There are two sets of three connections that say AUX and
> PHONE. The three of each include: LEFT, RIGHT, and GROUND. I really
> would appreciate the help in trying to get this to work. Thanks!!!

Well, it is possible. There are about three different ways that come to
mind:

1) Cut into the pickup lead that comes out of the tone arm, and take a
connection from that to an amplifier with a phono input or computer adapter
designed for connecting record decks. Records should be played back with
"RIAA equalisation", so you need a way to get that into the circuit.
(Though if it's a very old record, you might need to see what equalisation
was used to cut it.) You'll need to fit a decent external lead, plus a pair
of sockets on the record deck so you can plug the lead into them when you
want to play through the record deck's speakers.

2) Work out the record deck's internal amplifier circuitry, and take a
connection from that, after the equalisation stage but before the power
amplifier stage.

3) Take a connection from the speakers. You'll need to keep the volume
turned down to ensure the output level is suitable for whatever you connect
it to.

But isn't this quite a bit of hassle for one album? Can't you get a friend
to do it for you? Or why not look through your local advertisers, and see
if you can buy a record deck with the required outputs, and an amplifier
with record deck input? Or even see if the record is available for download
from one of the legal online services (eg emusic.com or mp3search.ru)

Tim

..
!