Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Re-installing Win7

Last response: in Windows 7
July 30, 2012 1:30:14 PM

Ok, so long story short.

My SSD is breaking down and I intend to refund it. My OS is on the SSD. Can I install my Win7 OEM-version on my HDD for the time being and then again install it on the new SSD when I get it? I heard that the OEM-version locks on the MOBO. So, as long as the same MOBO is plugged into whatever memory device, I can install this Win7 on it however many times I want? Or did the OEM-version only have one installation?

Thank you in advance!
Monaro

More about : installing win7

a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 30, 2012 1:36:52 PM

Can I install my Win7 OEM-version on my HDD for the time being and then again install it on the new SSD when I get it? < Yes you can,only tied to the board not the other hardware.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 30, 2012 1:38:18 PM

The OEM copy is locked to the firmware itself so yes, as long as you have the same motherboard you should be alright
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 30, 2012 1:41:05 PM

Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

microsoft ^
July 30, 2012 2:04:39 PM

Thanks, guys! Appreciated!

-Mon4ro
m
l
July 30, 2012 2:04:54 PM

Best answer selected by mon4ro.
m
l
a c 416 $ Windows 7
July 30, 2012 2:05:19 PM