Mics at Newport??

Last response: in Home Audio
September 27, 2005 12:23:32 PM

Hi all...

Saw the first segment of the Martin Scorsese film on Dylan last night,
and was wondering if anyone knows what the Newport Folk Fest mics were?

They sounded pretty good considering that the guitars were not mic'ed
(or at least I didn't see any)...

I *did* see what looked like a C12 with a sock over it, but that was
off to the side...

Anyway, they had 2 mics side-by-side at chin level pointing towards the
ceiling (omnis?), and 2 more hanging from the rafters 10 feet above the
performer...
All looked similar, with that distinctive pop-screen...

Just curious...
Thanks...
Bruce

More about : mics newport

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 8:05:03 PM

I saw that this evening and I was thinking how much restoration work
must have gone on. Some of the film looked very "cleaned up". I suspect
the original audio didn't sound as good...

I was highly dissapinted by the ending. :o )
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 8:12:43 PM

I think they were Schoepses.

Peace,
Paul
September 28, 2005 9:26:42 AM

studiorat wrote:
> I saw that this evening and I was thinking how much restoration work
> must have gone on. Some of the film looked very "cleaned up". I suspect
> the original audio didn't sound as good...

The recording may not have been too bad since that was from independent
mics, but the PA system couldn't handle the Butterfield+Dylan band. The
so-called "fist fight" backstage was Pete Seeger saying (in a rather
animated fashion) that the sound was so distorted that the words
couldn't be understood and that they should just turn off the sound
system. He claimed (years later) that he said if he had an axe rather
than a banjo, he'd cut the wires himself. I haven't watched the TV show
yet. Maybe Pete was on there, saying that.

It was quite an assault on the ears, and the afternoon sound check
could be heard all over the Festival Field. This was back in the day
when most of the workshop "stages" consisted of a pole in the ground
with a number on it to indicate what workshop area it was, and a couple
of folding chairs for the performers. All acoustic. All up close and
personal. Combine the loud and distorted sound with the shattered image
that those who thought they knew Dylan and it's not surprising that
there was a near riot.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 12:23:20 PM

tonewoods@rockisland.com wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> Saw the first segment of the Martin Scorsese film on Dylan last night,
> and was wondering if anyone knows what the Newport Folk Fest mics were?
>
> They sounded pretty good considering that the guitars were not mic'ed
> (or at least I didn't see any)...
>
> I *did* see what looked like a C12 with a sock over it, but that was
> off to the side...
>
> Anyway, they had 2 mics side-by-side at chin level pointing towards the
> ceiling (omnis?), and 2 more hanging from the rafters 10 feet above the
> performer...
> All looked similar, with that distinctive pop-screen...
>
> Just curious...
> Thanks...
> Bruce

Looks to me like they were probably Neumann KM-56's which like the C-12
are side address mics. You can see the connectors on the mics which are
correct and they would have been a logical choice at the time . I
think you can see one being used at some of the other Dylan concerts
shown in the film and they are clearly seen being used in the studio
for Dylan's acoustic guitar (which would have nothing to do with
Newport however).

Mark
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 4:51:44 PM

If I had an axe....

Yes, much was made of Pete Seeger's comment. It's possible that the
omni mics on the stage had so much of the band in them that the result
was a wash of noise - I expect it would have bothered alot of people here.

Maybe the omnis were a bad choice? Then again - no one was expecting
what was coming. I've always loved Bloomfield's playing, but it was way
over the top.

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY

!