Low Density vs. Hight Density

TKS

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2003
I'm looking to upgrade a few of the ancient computers at work here. They're the old Dell optiplex craps...all around 700mhz PIII's. I know they all have PC100 and PC133 in them. One of my impudent bosses who thinks he knows crap about computers is making a big stink about high density vs low density and how 'we need to be careful to get the right one.

Now, If my memory (ba dum dum) serves me correctly I think high density was reserved/is reserved for high end systems like servers and is only used on DIMM slots over 512MB...and that it uses a 32bit process; whereas low density is what is generally used on all other systems and uses a 16bit process and can go into practically any DIMM slot. Am I right on this? My boss thinks he's a computer God and I'm not 100% sure. I've checked the web but there's answers both ways on this. I think I'm right...but I want to be 100% sure before I blast his 'knowledge' out of the water. Thanks for the help all.

----------
<b>Got any of that beer that has candy floating in it? You know, Skittlebrau? </b> <i>Homer Simpson</i>

TKS

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, you boss is 100% correct. The BX chipset for example (the most common for use with PIII processors) only supports 16MB MAX per chip (128megabit chips). That's 256MB on a 16-chip double-sided DIMM. This info is in the FAQ if you would have cared to read it.

ALL the "standard" memory on the market right now is HIGHER desity than this and will either be read at 1/2 size, 1/4 size, or fail to function completely.

So you need special "older" memory for many Dell systems! The correct part number for the Crucial 256MB DIMM that works with nearly all BX boards is CT32M64S4D7E. The 128MB version is CT16M64S4D7E.

Dell and Intel (Dell used Intel boards) only recommend 128MB max per slot on the SE440BX-2, but I've tested these modules extensively on those boards and the 256MB version DOES work!

Now, your BOSS was right, you were wrong! Most off the shelf current 256MB DIMMs are single sided, making them 1/2 of a 512MB module like the one you mentioned, making them NON-Compatable with BX chipsets.

Tell your boss YOU were wrong, Crashman set you straight, and that he should hire me! I'm degreed in "Automotive Technology Management" and "Mechanical Design and Engineering Graphics Technology Management" from Central Michigan University, have also been a system builder for around 5 years now, and need a job (look at all the positions I can fill!).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>