Sign in with
Your question

UDMA 4 limited to 2 by WinXP

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2003 4:46:35 PM

I upgraded my notebook from WinMe to XPPRo. Now the hard drive seems to be much slower - awfully slow - than before. The SIS 630 IDE driver for Win XP, says UDMA4 is possible but that it is only running at UDMA 2. There is no option to up it. As it is mobile the HD seems to plug into the motherboard rather than use a cable so the 80 pin cable is not an option. I have seen in other forums, people saying change to PIO,reboot change back to UDMA remove Primary IDE, registery tweak but none seem to work.The motherboards runs SIS630 and linked components on the motherboard, I have downloaded the XP, IDE, AGP and full 630 Graphics updates - but this did not change it. AIDA has identified a 'SIS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller' on the motherboard as well as primary and secondary but I am only worried about my main hard drive on Primary IDE with no slave attached. There is no driver for XP for this(sis5513) it stopped at 98 and ME - Could this be the problem? More specs below - thanks for anyones help.

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium IIIE, 800 MHz (8 x 100)
Motherboard Name PortoCom FreeStar Notebook 340S2
Motherboard Chipset SiS 630
Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type Intel GTL+
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 100 MHz
Effective Clock 100 MHz
Bandwidth 800 MB/s
Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width 16-bit
System Memory 119 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (01/15/01)
Video Adapter SiS 630 (8 MB)
Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 (Primary)
Optical Drive QSI DVD-ROM SDR-081 (8x/24x DVD-ROM)(Secondary)
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Problems & Suggestion
Problem AGP aperture size is more than half of the system memory size. This may cause performance penalty.
SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller ]
Device Properties:
Driver Description SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

Thanks for looking
Phil

More about : udma limited winxp

November 1, 2003 2:03:06 AM

why do you think the hard drive is slow. poor system performance? poor data transfer rate?

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
November 1, 2003 5:33:25 AM

Staring any program - say Word XP, the disk rattles slowly, it takes ages for the program to appear, then the program stays half blank on the screen, more rattles and finally it appears.
If the start menu, then programs is clicked, while the system is doing even in the background disk activity, then the menus do not flow out for ages.
I have cleaned up, defragged, removed all adware with SpyBot Search and Destroy - but no great improvement.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2003 5:41:04 AM

Hehe, sucker! You only have 119MB of RAM available. The most likely cause of your performance problem is that XP uses around 140MB of RAM just to load! It will run with less by caching many of it's files to the hard drive. Given that, the hard drive is always busy, as is the data bus. The BEST thing you can do with that laptop is nix the XP!

98SE is the fastest OS to use on any system that has less than 512MB of RAM. In fact, 98SE is the most stable version of 9x, better than ME, and operates on around 64MB of RAM, leaving the rest for programs.

Even 2000 would probably run slow on that system, if you want to stay with NT, you'll probably get the best performance from NT 4.0!

I'd go 98SE!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 1, 2003 5:54:46 AM

Thanks Crashman - as the Microsoft site says recommended 128MB min 64MB, I thought I was OK but perhaps not.
I still have 1 memory slot available for an upgrade if I stuck 256MB in there that should help - but what about the UDMA2 mode working when UDMA 4 should be available?
(I have 2 destops and the laptop all running XP Pro, broadband router and Wireless G networking on the laptop. I think that XP is a much more stable environment for networking, if the laptop goes back to 98SE or ME, I can imagine encoutering all the missing network connections and continual rebooting to make sure they all see each other, when problems occur).
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2003 6:05:18 AM

It's a scam by MS to sell more copies of Windows. Bill Gates said XP would rescue the hardware industry by FORCING UPGRADES! So you buy XP thinking it will work on your current hardware, it's slow as hell so rather than call it a loss you buy more RAM!

My school has a bunch of PIII 500 machines with 128MB running XP, they are SLOWER than their old PIII 133's were running NT 4.0 with 48MB of RAM!

I did some of my own testing with XP and found the MINIMAL amount of RAM XP actually uses is around 140MB. But if you don't HAVE at least 256MB, XP will put many of those files in the swap file instead! That makes it capable of running on less than 256MB, but at snail's pace!

XP has worked for me using the default driver for the IDE controller on every system I've tried. My current i850E system says the Primary IDE channel is operating in DMA mode 5.

Your drive DOES have a cable, a short specialized laptop drive cable. If it has 40 conductors, you'll be limitted to slower modes.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 1, 2003 6:16:06 AM

Thanks crashman - Bloody Microsoft!!!
November 2, 2003 2:46:49 PM

You were right the cable has only got 40 leads.
As a thought, from the specs I quoted in my first post, if I were to buy an 80 channel connection lead, would this then give me the UDMA 4?
I thought the 100mhz clock speed and or bus, togehter with the drive which is an ATA66 drive, should give me UDMA4?

Thanks
Phil
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2003 4:45:05 PM

UDMA modes are a feature of the IDE controller. Of course BIOS turns DMA on and off, and drivers can control how they are used in Windows, but that's as far as it goes on our end. As long as the chipset supports UDMA100, BIOS should support it, and the driver should support it. But BIOS and the driver detect what modes the Drive supports and what type of cable is used. An 80 conductor cable has to be used to prevent cross-talk between the wires at high transfer rates. Things such as your CPU bus aren't a factor.

November 2, 2003 7:58:28 PM

140MB for Windows XP to load.

That is not strictly true (at first).

On my tests, a completely fresh installation of Windows XP will use up 80MB of RAM on boot up (~56MB for Win2k).

In fact, I installed it on a K5 with 80MB RAM, PIO Mode 4 hard disk and it was usable. I was even playing DVDs on it through my Hollywood+ Decoder card (okay so that could be cheating).

The trouble though is that after putting on your virus checker, variouse drivers and other task bar tray furnature, the 80MB rockets to 140MB (~128MB for Win2k).

But still, on a machine with 128MB (In this case a K6-2 500MHz machine running at UDMA 2) I found that it was still quite responsive (which is more than I could say for SUSE Linux) and not really any problem.

I reckon that it could more be a driver problem (which is a problem for you as there are'nt any decent drivers.) but it's odd that it's only working at UDMA 2 as that is really slow. I reckon that the problem lies in the UDMA 2 limit.

Add more RAM, it may help a lot, but I think installing a better driver would help even more.

While I was writing this responce, I have found the IDE driver for SIS630 (SIS 5513 IDE controller) that you are looking for on SIS's website.

http://driver3.sis.com/utility/ide/ide203.zip

You may have looked in the AGP category but not the IDE category. Unlike most other chipset makers drivers, the AGP and IDE drivers are in seperate downloads.

I have looked in the INF file and it supports your IDE controller.

Hope this helps
srg4096

P.S When it comes to RAM though 'The more the merryer!'

Windows XP Works on a K5 PR133 (100MHz) with 80MB RAM!!!!!!
a b V Motherboard
November 2, 2003 8:39:05 PM

Bare install of WinXP on 512MB RAM: 140MB to load Windows. I feel it probably always uses at least 140MB, but caches many of those files to the hard drive if you have less memory.

In fact, up to 1GB of RAM, the more you add, the bigger XP gets. It's a fairly smart OS, it probably caches the files it needs least with more memory, and progressively caches more important files as it's forced to use less memory.

November 3, 2003 1:42:42 PM

That's interesting as my machine has 512MB of ram and a bare install was just 80MB

Windows XP Works on a K5 PR133 (100MHz) with 80MB RAM!!!!!!
!