UO on Linux?

Anyone know how I can accomplish this?
I'm running Lindows but I don't have a Windows emulator as of yet.

Is that what I'm going to have to get in order to get to play UO on my
new machine?

--
Here are the 4 stages of Life
1) You believe in Santa

PacManFever wrote:

> Anyone know how I can accomplish this?
> I'm running Lindows but I don't have a Windows emulator as of yet.
>
> Is that what I'm going to have to get in order to get to play UO on my
> new machine?

I have been playing UO (2D) with Wine for almost one year now. It works
fine, apart from two small problems:

The "Ultima Online is loading ..." window doesn't disappear. It's always
necessary to press the STRG+CTRL+Escape shortcut to get rid of it.

The information window at the beginning doesn't work, probably because of
the missing IE.

Torsten

In article <78m2m1x152.ln2@neubert.fqdn.th-h.de>, Torsten Neubert wrote:
> PacManFever wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how I can accomplish this?
>> I'm running Lindows but I don't have a Windows emulator as of yet.
>>
>> Is that what I'm going to have to get in order to get to play UO on my
>> new machine?
>
> I have been playing UO (2D) with Wine for almost one year now. It works
> fine, apart from two small problems:
>
> The "Ultima Online is loading ..." window doesn't disappear. It's always
> necessary to press the STRG+CTRL+Escape shortcut to get rid of it.
>
> The information window at the beginning doesn't work, probably because of
> the missing IE.
>
> Torsten

The BEST(*) option is to use VMWare and an old copy of Windows 95 or
98...

(*) Best, of course, is not necessarily the cheapest... VMWare is
currently 199 for an individual license... Also, VMWare needs at
LEAST a 900 mhz processor to run UO acceptably.

WineX, from Transgaming, actually loads and runs the 3d client, bu the
graphics are horribly screwed up. You can walk around, cast spells,
buy stuff, etc. but it ain't pretty, OR easy...

Brian K

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:57:49 GMT, Brian Keener <keenerb@roleplayga.org>
wrote:

>WineX, from Transgaming, actually loads and runs the 3d client, bu the
>graphics are horribly screwed up. You can walk around, cast spells,
>buy stuff, etc. but it ain't pretty, OR easy...

It's that way using the 3d version with Windows too...

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

I tried the 3D one... except that I got dial-up.... Looked nice enough
(Although OBVIOUSLY not 3D)
BUT, when 1 setp takes 45 seconds... well it got deleted QUICK!
Yet the 2D runs just fine over dial-up. My PC is a custom build that I KNOW
can handle the software,
so all that leaves it the suspision that the 3D client uses a ton more
bandwidth.... Stupid of you OSI... Very stupid.

Alminair

In article <brDjc.12476$eZ5.9985@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Alminair wrote:
> I tried the 3D one... except that I got dial-up.... Looked nice enough
> (Although OBVIOUSLY not 3D)
> BUT, when 1 setp takes 45 seconds... well it got deleted QUICK!
> Yet the 2D runs just fine over dial-up. My PC is a custom build that I KNOW
> can handle the software,
> so all that leaves it the suspision that the 3D client uses a ton more
> bandwidth.... Stupid of you OSI... Very stupid.
>
> Alminair
>

> "Polychromic" <macecil@attbi.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:57:49 GMT, Brian Keener <keenerb@roleplayga.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >WineX, from Transgaming, actually loads and runs the 3d client, bu the
>> >graphics are horribly screwed up. You can walk around, cast spells,
>> >buy stuff, etc. but it ain't pretty, OR easy...
>>
>> It's that way using the 3d version with Windows too...
>>
>> --
>> Michael Cecil
>> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Heh heh... I log in and use it under WinXP every now and then, but
always end up going back to 2d.

An interesting note, I've done bandwidth monitoring with my Linux
router, and the 3d client does not use any more bandwidth than the 2d.

What I DID notice was that there was far far far more hard disk
accesses and memory swaps under 3d than there was under 2d. I would
blame that on having to load textures/etc. for everything on the
screen, which is far more intensive under 3d than it is under 2d. The
biggest performance increase I saw was when I stuck a ultra320
controller and 15,000 rpm SCSI inside my machine for testing purposes.

You can illustrate this for yourself under recent version of Windows
using Performance Monitor.

Dial-up being an obvious exception, bandwidth is NOT THE ISSUE. Even
over a FULL T1, UO3D is just as laggy as it was over my 144/144 SDSL
connection, even on better hardware.

Brian K

Good God! that means that it's a result of... *Gasp* Shitty programming!
*Arhg!*
Gee who woulda guessed.....

Alminair

Thanks for the info to!

Alminair wrote:
> > I tried the 3D one... except that I got dial-up.... Looked nice enough
> > (Although OBVIOUSLY not 3D)
> > BUT, when 1 setp takes 45 seconds... well it got deleted QUICK!
> > Yet the 2D runs just fine over dial-up. My PC is a custom build that I
KNOW
> > can handle the software,
> > so all that leaves it the suspision that the 3D client uses a ton more
> > bandwidth.... Stupid of you OSI... Very stupid.
> >
> > Alminair
> >

> > "Polychromic" <macecil@attbi.com> wrote in message

> >> It's that way using the 3d version with Windows too...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael Cecil
> >> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> >

> Heh heh... I log in and use it under WinXP every now and then, but
> always end up going back to 2d.
>
> An interesting note, I've done bandwidth monitoring with my Linux
> router, and the 3d client does not use any more bandwidth than the 2d.
>
> What I DID notice was that there was far far far more hard disk
> accesses and memory swaps under 3d than there was under 2d. I would
> blame that on having to load textures/etc. for everything on the
> screen, which is far more intensive under 3d than it is under 2d. The
> biggest performance increase I saw was when I stuck a ultra320
> controller and 15,000 rpm SCSI inside my machine for testing purposes.
>
> You can illustrate this for yourself under recent version of Windows
> using Performance Monitor.
>
> Dial-up being an obvious exception, bandwidth is NOT THE ISSUE. Even
> over a FULL T1, UO3D is just as laggy as it was over my 144/144 SDSL
> connection, even on better hardware.
>
> Brian K

PacManFever tippselte am Montag, 26. April 2004 23:15:
> Anyone know how I can accomplish this?
> I'm running Lindows but I don't have a Windows emulator as of yet.

Get WineX[1] from CVS at www.transgaming.org ;)

I'm using WineX for perhaps 1 year (before WineX I used Wine) getting best
results with Age Of Shadows (2D Client). The only problem I have is telling
UO that my OS is German. I'm playing on a German shard and the other
clients now guess I'm English and try to translate my texts. The result
looks very funny but are not really useable =) Instructing the other
players to disable the TransServ.exe everything works fine (umlauts like
the German "ä","ö","ü" work fine, too). Well, playing on an English shard
should work like a charm ;)

[1] WineX is capable of DirectX and OpenGL

So far,
--
Bernd "beko" Kosmahl
http://duke.famkos.net

Bernd Kosmahl tippselte am Freitag, 30. April 2004 09:46:

www.transgaming.COM, of course. Gomen ;)
--

Bernd Kosmahl wrote:

> results with Age Of Shadows (2D Client). The only problem I have is
> telling UO that my OS is German. I'm playing on a German shard and the
> other clients now guess I'm English and try to translate my texts. The
> result looks very funny but are not really useable =) Instructing the
> other players to disable the TransServ.exe everything works fine (umlauts
> like the German "ä","ö","ü" work fine, too). Well, playing on an English
> shard should work like a charm ;)

To get a German UO insert UserLanguageCodeString=deu in your uo.cfg (after
CurrentVer).

Torsten

Torsten Neubert tippselte am Freitag, 30. April 2004 20:37:
> To get a German UO insert UserLanguageCodeString=deu in your uo.cfg (after
> CurrentVer).

I couldn't find a String like CurrentVer but I added your suggestion to all
uo.cfg files I found. It seems like it works - time will show :)

Thanks for that hint :)