Did I just create bad boot sectors?

chillysalsa

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
Hardware: Asus A7V333, 2 x IBM GXP60

Ok, I’m trying to re-install Win XP on my computer.

Previously, I had 2 partitions, one with XP and one with Win98, and I was running RAID0 (stripe). I used Partition Magic 7 to set that up.

I decided to switch to RAID1 (mirror) for reliability. So I just switched it in the RAID BIOS, popped in the XP disc, and started to format. It got through the Copy files to Disk part, and then when it reboots, it says the HDD is unreadable. You can go through the same procedure of “Begin Install>Choose Partition>Copy Files for Installation>Reboot” as many times as you want, it just never reads the stuff on the HDD when you reboot so it starts the install procedure again. I’m in an endless loop!

My question is WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

I’ve tried disabling RAID, and just directly tried one drive on the IDE channel. Same thing, it’s stuck in that loop. If you don’t have the XP disc in, it keeps rebooting because of a HDD Read Error (which I can just barely read before it restarts!).

Was I supposed to consolidate/or delete the 2nd partition before formatting? I thought deleting the Stripe array and creating a new Mirror array would already wipe everything!?! Maybe there are some boot sector fragments left from the other partition that are causing the errors? I dunno… just totally lost. It seems I have 2 crap HDDs because “I wanted more reliability”….

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
WinXP needs drivers for the controller. A while after setup starts you can read "Press F6 for RAID & SCSI controllers". You need to have a diskette with those drivers, it is included with the controller.

chillysalsa

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2002
Yes, I was loading them like that.

It turns out my HDD / mobo are just very quirky. I retried it a bunch of times to much frustration.

After about the 7th time, it finally recognized the HDD and I was able to reboot and continue the installation process.

(Later I got greedy and tried to install 2 O/S, and corrupted the original partition with XP! I finally reinstalled it along with WIN98 after a long, frustrating weekend.)

Thanks