Stereo Line to Mono line.

Last response: in Home Audio
September 28, 2005 6:24:47 PM

Hi all,

I want to mono the output of my desk for a quick job this weekend
where I need to use mains and subs. I only have the one amp to hand
due to equipment splitting issues. The desk does not support MONO
directly.

What would be the simplest way to mono the desk without potential loading
issues? I don't just wany to link the outputs together and I feel linking
with resistors may drop too much signal. I can lose up to 6dB without
concern, but the less the better.

As this is a one of, I would also appreciate it being free, or nearly so! :)

Any references or diagrams would be appreciated!

Robert!

More about : stereo line mono line

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 6:24:48 PM

In article <433a99a8$1@nntp.onyx.net>, Rv! <Rv@no.way.invalid> wrote:

>I want to mono the output of my desk for a quick job this weekend
>where I need to use mains and subs. I only have the one amp to hand
>due to equipment splitting issues. The desk does not support MONO
>directly.

So, use the left channel output and turn all the pan controls to the left.

>What would be the simplest way to mono the desk without potential loading
>issues? I don't just wany to link the outputs together and I feel linking
>with resistors may drop too much signal. I can lose up to 6dB without
>concern, but the less the better.

Why bother? If you make a mono mix, you get a mono output. If all the
pans are set left, everything is mono on the left output. If all the
pans are set center, everything is mono and the two outputs are the
same.

>As this is a one of, I would also appreciate it being free, or nearly so! :)

You already have everything you need built into the desk.
--scott

September 28, 2005 6:24:49 PM

Rv! wrote:

> This is a stereo desk with stereo channels, with NO pans. Your answer
> is so obvious I didn't even think to tell you the fact. I cannot use desk
> controls to Mono the output.

So how do you normally use it? Do you normally mix stereo sources that
you send to the PA?

Can you give us a hint? What's the make and model? And can you point to
a web page with info? Maybe there's a way. A lot of "stereo" channeld
have the inputs normalled so that when there's only one input, it's
split equally to both channels, which is mono, panned to the center.
Use just one channel to feed your PA.
September 28, 2005 11:57:58 PM

news:D he5uj$i3g$1@panix2.panix.com...
> In article <433a99a8$1@nntp.onyx.net>, Rv! <Rv@no.way.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>I want to mono the output of my desk for a quick job this weekend
>>where I need to use mains and subs. I only have the one amp to hand
>>due to equipment splitting issues. The desk does not support MONO
>>directly.
>
> So, use the left channel output and turn all the pan controls to the left.

This is a stereo desk with stereo channels, with NO pans. Your answer
is so obvious I didn't even think to tell you the fact. I cannot use desk
controls
to Mono the output. I wish to Mono the final balanced (or unbalanced)
output
from the desk.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:57:59 PM

Huh? What "desk" is this? Sounds more like a stereo line mixer to
me. What are you mixing? Have you bothered to do a google search for
"summing boxes" or "summation boxes?" Have you considered getting a
real mixer that actally has pan pots? Have you considered just losing
the right channel or the left channel? And what kind of amp is this?
Almost every amp I know of is at least 2-channel. I haven't seen
1-channel amps for many years (the last one I saw was made in 1982).

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:57:58 +0100, "Rv!" <Rv@no.way.invalid> wrote:

>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>news:D he5uj$i3g$1@panix2.panix.com...
>> In article <433a99a8$1@nntp.onyx.net>, Rv! <Rv@no.way.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>>I want to mono the output of my desk for a quick job this weekend
>>>where I need to use mains and subs. I only have the one amp to hand
>>>due to equipment splitting issues. The desk does not support MONO
>>>directly.
>>
>> So, use the left channel output and turn all the pan controls to the left.
>
>This is a stereo desk with stereo channels, with NO pans. Your answer
>is so obvious I didn't even think to tell you the fact. I cannot use desk
>controls
>to Mono the output. I wish to Mono the final balanced (or unbalanced)
>output
>from the desk.

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 11:58:00 PM

> This is a stereo desk with stereo channels, with NO pans.
> Your answer is so obvious I didn't even think to tell you the
> fact. I cannot use desk controls to Mono the output. I wish
> to Mono the final balanced (or unbalanced) output from the
> desk.

If you only input to the "left" inputs and use the "left" outputs
(or substitute "right" for "left", etc.) why is any kind of "mono"-ing
required at all?

If you know that the obvious answer won't work, it is generally
helpful to pre-emptively explain why and include pertinent details
like what kind of mixer you are using, etc.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:33:45 AM

Rv! wrote:

> This is a stereo desk with stereo channels, with NO pans.

What make and model is the desk?

--
ha
Anonymous

"Rv!" <Rv@no.way.invalid> wrote in message news:433a99a8$1@nntp.onyx.net...
> Hi all,
>
> I want to mono the output of my desk for a quick job this weekend
> where I need to use mains and subs. I only have the one amp to hand
> due to equipment splitting issues. The desk does not support MONO
> directly.
>
> What would be the simplest way to mono the desk without potential loading
> issues?

Take the main output for the right channel, and feed it to one of the left
channel inputs. Don't touch the right channel main output fader once you've
set up.

Tim
!