Tascam US 122 and Adobe Audition - Multiple Sources to Mul..

Last response: in Home Audio
September 28, 2005 10:37:39 AM

Hello,

I am looking for a budget audio interface that will allow me to record
e-drums and guitar (or any two audio sources) to two seperate Adobe
Audition tracks simultaneously.

Will the Tascam US 122 be suitable for this purpose? Are there any
better options in the budget price range?

Thanks in advance,

Carl
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 12:44:02 PM

carl.durber@gmail.com wrote:

> I am looking for a budget audio interface that will allow me to record
> e-drums and guitar (or any two audio sources) to two seperate Adobe
> Audition tracks simultaneously.
>
> Will the Tascam US 122 be suitable for this purpose?

You can record two input channels to two tracks. If your drums are
stereo (guitars often aren't) that will eat up its two input channels
and you won't be able to record the guitar. If you have mono drums,
then, yes, you can record drums to one mono track and guitar to the
other mono track. If you need more input channels, the TASCAM US-428
offers recording on four channels simultaneously as well as hand-on
mixing controls.

> Are there any
> better options in the budget price range?

The US-122 is a nice unit because it addresses a lot of the questions
that people have about recording with a conventional sound card, like:

Where do I plug in headphones?
How do I control the volume of my monitor speakers without using the
computer?
How do I monitor what I'm playing when I record?

As to wheter there are any better options, sure, there are other
similar products on the market. Which one is better is a matter of
what's better for you. There isn't one that clearly stands out as
having noticably better sound quality, so look at features, feel, and
how it fits into your working space.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:30:09 AM

Thanks for the reply, that cleared a lot up for me.

One more question - If I put the two outputs from the drums through a
mixer and into one input on the US-122, would I be able to record
stereo drums to a single track?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:56:10 AM

carl.durber@gmail.com wrote:

> One more question - If I put the two outputs from the drums through a
> mixer and into one input on the US-122, would I be able to record
> stereo drums to a single track?

Yes and no. You can record the drums on one track, but being one track,
it won't be stereo any more. You can record mono drums on one track or
stereo drums on two tracks.

If you wanted to record, say, drums and bass in one pass, you could put
the drums and bass into a stereo mixer, mix them to taste, and record
them on two tracks. But that bass/drum mix would remain fixed for the
project. You couldn't change the bass part later on if it wasn't right
after you've recorded other tracks.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 9:22:46 AM

Thanks again.

One final question - the TASCAM US-428 offers four inputs, could each
of those go to a different track on Audition? Say I had stereo drums
going into two inputs, guitar into an input, and bass into an input -
would each of these be available on individual chanels in Audtion so I
could re-record (or alter the volume of) just the bass for example?
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 9:41:20 AM

carl.durber@gmail.com wrote:

> One final question - the TASCAM US-428 offers four inputs, could each
> of those go to a different track on Audition?

Yes. That's what the four inputs are for.
!