Sign in with
Your question

new sound card

Last response: in Components
November 1, 2003 9:21:54 PM

I am looking for a new sound card but not sure what to get. working with a 600 mgz with windows me i got a surrond sound speaker system. the card i have came with the pc it's a sound blaster QS 3000A. Looking to spend around 100.00. I have alot of mp3's and into a lot of music. can anybody help? thank you

More about : sound card

November 2, 2003 8:27:44 AM

M-Audio Revolution 7.1 or Creative Audigy2 ZS (there's also the option of Terratec Aureon 5.1 Sky/7.1 Space or Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 if you can find them where you live).
November 2, 2003 12:34:20 PM

Thank you for the advice i'll look into the ones you suggested.
Related resources
November 2, 2003 4:54:43 PM

I have great experience with M-Audio Revolution.
November 4, 2003 11:00:26 PM

The Revolution has great reviews and the best sound quality but no hardware acceleration of sound.
I havent seen a review comparing the new ZS to the revolution.

I would guess the new Audigy still has lingering incompatibilitys and you might have problems with it. The Revolution has immature drivers.

Your 3rd choice is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz which has no known problems.

Theres no one single answer. I like the EAX3 that only the Audigy has, the revolution has the best quality audio components and the santa cruz is an overall great choice but has neither of the audigy/revolution benefits.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>
November 7, 2003 5:11:49 PM

"I would guess the new Audigy still has lingering incompatibilitys and you might have problems with it"

What kind of problems are you talking about ?

"640K ought to be enough for anyone." - Bill Gates, 1981
Anonymous
November 7, 2003 6:15:55 PM

basically, the same ones they introduced with the soundblaster lives, and have never gotten around to fixing.
November 7, 2003 7:55:50 PM

First, their PCI implementation is an issue, they have multiple issues with many chipsets. The infamous case is with VIA chipsets.
Creative blames VIA. And VIA blames Creative. No surprises there from two companies who arent on the top of their game.
IMO both have flawed design. From what I understand, though I dont know if this is entirely true but VIA on many of their chipsets has an older PCI spec and many of the Sound Blaster cards use a cutting edge spec that Intel implemented along time ago. So Creative went ahead and did it anyway when not necessary.
The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz does not have these issues, nor to any other cards other than Creative to my knowledge.
I've even heard issues with INTEL chipsets on this very board.. that I would hope is user error but it wouldnt surprise me.

Also, the Audigys are PCI bandwidth hogs. They flood the PCI bus even when no sound is in use. This causes conflicts with other PCI devices sometimes.
When you have other crappy PCI devices, or those that simply need the bandwidth the Audigys waste then you get problems sometimes, especially when on a VIA pci implementation.

Their drivers are by far the worst in existence of PC computing and always have been.
We all know from the NV/ATI wars that drivers can make or break a product.

I've owned my Audigy since release and used many Creative products before with mixed results. My audigy still randomly pops and crackles in games and even with no sound in Windows!
This is on every chipset I've used it on, from the VIA KT133 (everything between) to the KT266A as well as my current Nforce2. I'm restating info but proof of my claim in the editorial sense can be found in the Audigy 1 review at guru3d.com

And Creative killed Aureal, when Guilliemont was in efforts to purchase the fiscally failing audio company- Creative said "take their offer and add 100k"... they were desperate.
(thx for the info Crash!!! :smile: )
They are a desperate pathetic company thats going to get the stuffing kicked out of them by Nvidia.
They bought out the Aureal technological assets and put them on lock down. A3D 2.0 was FAR superior to EAX and still is superior to EAX3.0 (advanced hd).
In fact, while A3D provided near precision perfect positioning, which Creative themselves admit is superior to their EAX algorithms, say isnt NECESSARY. That EAX is good enough.
Give me a break, we all know better than accept that lame excuse we've seen a thousand times before.

I dont think you meant to be sarcastic or smart with your response, thats why I'm gracing it with a full and detailed answer on why MANY hate creative and know them for the marchitechure crap producers that they are.
Most who defend creative do because they recently purchased one of their overpriced, underperforming cards or are stupid enough to think the added reverb effects in EAX3.0 or 4.0 is worth a damn.

But all is not lost, Creative is an easy opponent to defeat technologically and Nvidia hired all the former Aureal (A3D) engineers.
The onboard soundstorm which is now finally in decent shape driver wise in onboard form is near ready for prime time and expect other surprises from NV on launch of the confirmed standalone Soundstorm.

I will say right now, I use an Audigy 1 out of my own stupidity and ignorance and belief that they had improved in the areas I outlined above.
I'm torn between going with the excellent Santa Cruz (the best value for the dollar by far), the M-Audio Revolution or waiting for the NV standalone card. I pulled out the audigy and I'm using my onboard, but my Nforce2 only supports 2 speakers And I use logitech z560s, though it sounds fine with my koss pro3aa's.

My issues include- since I bought the Audigy its had many driver issues and incompatibilitys. Do a search for "squeal of death" and read. I'll do it for you, oh first hit is right here. I've tried every suggestion in that article as well as much more.

I get hard locks in games using EAX3.0 even using the drivers that were released yesterday (11/06). I refuse to purchase another Creative product until some of these problems are fixed.
Also, Creative tinkers massively with your EQ and reverb settings when switching from headphones to 5.1 ect. resulting in terrible sound in many modes. I've never been able to stand their "tweaked" headphone mode.
For being such great cards (/sarcasm) they dont even have a decent EQ! They have a nice 'two band' EQ :rollseyes: While the aging Santa Cruz has an 18band EQ..

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
November 7, 2003 8:03:02 PM

Thanks for your post...I was really wondering what were the problems with these Sound Card (not trying to be smart or anything).
So now, if I was to build a good gaming rig, what would be the best SC ? Turtle Beach or M-Audio or ... ?

November 7, 2003 8:16:01 PM

I'm really curious to see how the Nvidia stand alone soundcard is going to do. So if you are interested in that direction if you have onboard you could suffer and wait it out for the next 3 months or whenever its released.
It wont be a terrible release driver-wise either because most of the driver issues have been ironed out in the onboard version of soundstorm.

The M-Audio Revo has the best sound quality of any consumer sound card but lacks hardware acceleration of DirectSound3D and with upcoming games like Doom3/HL2 you want as much taken off your CPU as possible.
We're even seeing that effect in Call of Duty. It taxes the hell out of my 1700+.

The Santa Cruz is the best all around card on the market. It runs about $45 on newegg and is worth everydollar and more. I dont think there is a better value per dollar.
The ONLY disadvantage is that it doesnt support EAX3, but I'm using an audigy and its no different than EAX2 (which the santa cruz supports). It has more reverb effects per room but it makes little difference in game in my experience. I personally dont like 'reverb' in any sense of the word anyway.
Sound positioning is what I want out of my 4.1 speaker setup but unfortunately A3D is dead and gone..

I wish I wouldve listened to those who warned me about the audigys but I didnt listen.

So if your not interested in the Nvidia card, or want a card now I would approve the Santa Cruz for your uses.
Even if you want to move to the NV card later the Santa Cruz is at a great price. You will have an extra card for a buddy or a 2nd system.

----
November 8, 2003 12:31:26 AM

How would you (or someone else) rate the sound coming from a Asus P8C800-E deluxe MoBo ? I know it's surely not as good as with a Sound Card (even a Sound Blaster...) but is it acceptable or not even close to acceptable (to play games etc...) ?
I will use 2 speakers with subwoofer.

November 8, 2003 1:15:21 AM

I'm not familiar with that chip but it depends what speakers your using. I think with Klipsch 2.1s or something pretty good like those you might want to consider an upgrade.
I'd use onboard with speakers that are under $100. But if you start using really good speakers and turning up the volume then get a new card.

Most every 2.1 setup though I'd use the onboard. If you ever go to a 5.1 or similar setup I'd pickup something else.

----
November 9, 2003 7:08:04 AM

I have a Audigy 2 ZS running on an IS7 Intel 865 board and I don't any problems, best $100 I ever spent.
!