Steve3128

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
I’m putting together my first P4 system that I’d like to order this Monday. I’ve chosen the Intel 875 Motherboard with the 3.0 CPU. I’ve also chosen a well ventilated case with extra fans so I don’t think I should not be running into any overheating problems.
My questions are concerning memory. From what I’ve read to date, the memory I am considering in using is the CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200C2 or the TWINX1024-3200LL. (Note: I have never over-clocked a system before but it is something I’d like to get more familiar with doing).

Question 1 – Is over-clocking really worth doing. Will I see a noticeable improvement in my systems performance or should I be looking at going with Intel’s recommended module (anybody knows what the best recommended module is)? The thought here is maybe I should go with the lower and more affordable memory and use the money to get a WD Raptor drive to boost my performance. A second option would be to get the 3.2 CPU. Understand it one or the other, 3.2 and standard memory or 3.0 and higher speed memory. I’m already at my max budget. And something like a drive is something I can add on later but to upgrade memory would not be worth it.

Question 2 – If I install either one of these memory modules, then install my XP Pro and do nothing to my BIOS will I be running in a NON-over-clocked mode or does the system sense the modules and makes chances automatically.

Question 3 – The $275 (retail) TWINX1024-3200LL is to the high side of my budget. Is this the best performing and most reliable module I can get for this price or is there another manufacturer I should be considering (I only buy retail items, no OEM)?

Question 4 – OK, let’s say I go with one of these memory modules. My understanding the biggest problem is overheating if over-clocked. I know how to monitor the system temperatures and have taking care of adding a few fans. What is the basic on changing the settings?

Any help, THANKS

twofruitz

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2003
Question 1 - Yes its definatly worth doing, you will really see an increase in gaming performance. I strongly advise not to buy an intel mobo. they are useless and cant OC. look at an Asus P4C800-E deluxe or a Abit IC7-max3. both are good boards. you really need to buy a good mobo or else your systems performance will suffer.

Question 2 - your bios will do it all for you.

Question 3 - Corsair is great ram but the LL is having major problems with 875p chipsets so stay away from this. ordinary corsair is great through. other options would be a Geil 3500 or 3700, kingmax hyperx or mushkin black line which all are great.

Question 4 - Overheating is not a problem; normally. my systems temp hasnt changed and my 2.4c is up to 3 gig :).

Other suggestions.

dont buy a 3.0 processor. you wont notice a difference between 2.8 or even 2.6 and the overclocking abilities are better on the 2.6 and 8.

make sure your graphics card is up to the task. with a good processor you should be looking at a 9700 or 9800. this will insure your memory, processor and mobo all run at their best.

overclocking on my mobo anyway is as simple as changing one setting. some others have more advanced features but mine does well anyway.

heat is really never an issue unless u do crazy overclocking eg. 2.6 up to 3.6. as long as air is blowing through the case all is good.

if you do decide to OC look at buying a new heatsink such as a Zalman or Thermalright.

hope that helps

---------
Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.0G \
Asus P4C800 \
Corsair 2x512 3200LL memory \
Radeon 9600pro @ 500/700/1.35 \
SB Live 5.1 \
80G Seagate S-ATA150 \
430 Antec 1080AMG

Steve3128

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
I don't have a problem buying good stuff. I looking at going from a P3 to a P4. I like to buy it through newegg. I would like to get all retail items. Need the board (875 chipset), cpu (2.6 or 2.8 - 800), memory, sound card if not on board, speakers and a DVD player. Budget $800 to $1000 max including shipping. Floppy, CDRom and P4 case I've got. Gonna get the AIW Radeon 9800 graphics card. So give me a recomendation. My first time building my own system. I need to be able to do my work on it too, MS office stuff and AutoCad. Movies, TV, and games like MOH and Battlefeild are some favorites.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steve3128 on 11/04/03 00:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WTF? Do I have to chase you all over the forums and correct your mistakes? Intel released an overclocking utility for their latest boards!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Steve3128

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
I told you guys about the controler a couple days ago (see post D875PBZ & D865PERL Desktop Control Center - in Motherboards and Chipsets)
Here's were I read it: must read!
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Aug/gee20030903021550.htm
Here's the site:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/software/dcc/index.htm

Does that mean an Intel D875PBZLK can be over-clocked like these other boards.
The Abit board still offers alot more for the money I think though. Is it just as reliable.

Which one of these do you mean?
OCZ 512 x 2 (1024MB) Enhanced Latency DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold, Model OCZ5001024ELDCGE-K
or
OCZ Enhanced Latency DDR 1024MB (2x 512MB) PC-4000 / 500MHz Dual Channel Series Memory Kit, Model OCZ5001024ELDC-K
Can’t find any 4000 Mushkin memory on newegg.com

How does this look for a system? I did this before I saw your reply.
- ABIT IC7-Max3, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 800MHz Canterwood ATX Motherboard
- Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB
- 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) TWINX1024-4000PT Matched Pair
- ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DDR 8X AGP
- Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB Hard Drive

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steve3128 on 11/04/03 04:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Noone wanted to break your heart, but we knew about it before it was released.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

G

Looks sweet with that rig you can have a 3.2GHZ with 1ghz FSB that will be almost as fast as a P4 3.2EE... Also I might add that if you want to make the rig a good 40-50$ cheaper go with a 865, 1% or so performance lost aint that bad...(I dont rember the full specs of the abit board maybe your looking for some of its feature so my recommandation wouldnt apply).

Anyhow thats a sweet rig =).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1. Overclocking is often worth doing, especially for people who want the best performance but can't afford the fastest parts. If you are considering overclocking, consider the 2.6C.

2. Yes.

3. The LL offers better timings which slightly enhance performance. While a couple manufacturers initially had problems with it, BIOS updates have made those problems infrequent at stock speed.

4. The P4 is heat protected and will slow down if it gets too hot. To keep your system at full speed, keep it under 70C. For optimal results, keep it under 60C.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not supporting any company, I'm just warning you to be carefull about 100% inclusive/exclusive statements. Don't state something as a fact if you're still guessing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think so, just the easier stuff like changing bus speed. But some processors can clock quite high at stock voltage.

Steve3128

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
Wusy,
You didn’t overreacted I asked for advise and you guys are giving it. Thanks! I appreciate it. Don’t worry about Crashman. He likes to bust balls sometimes. I been up and down this Forum and he seems to be one smart cookie, and you know them Gurus you gotta let them vent every now and then.

I see your running RAID 0 with (2) 40Gig Drives. Do you have a total of 80 Gig storage or is it only 40 Gig like in RAID1? How much performance increase do you think you have using it?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steve3128 on 11/05/03 01:33 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Steve3128

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
Does it appear as one drive letter (82GB) on your computer?
I use AutoCad at home. Small mechanical dwgs. from work. So loads and saves will be alot quicker I guess? Will AutoCad start up allot faster too?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by steve3128 on 11/05/03 01:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could have asked ANYONE that first question, of COURSE running two drives in RAID0 gives you the full space of two drives. The only reason RAID1 gives you only the space of one drive is because the other one is a copy!