Power supply in water

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
September 29, 2005 2:06:51 PM

Hi,

I have just found my DC power supply for a mixer desk in some water. It
was not plugged in but submerged.

If it dries out completely maybe with the help of a hair dryer etc.,
should it be okay?

Thanks

Rock

More about : power supply water

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2005 2:06:52 PM

"Rock" wrote ...
> I have just found my DC power supply for a mixer desk in some water. It
> was not plugged in but submerged.
>
> If it dries out completely maybe with the help of a hair dryer etc.,
> should it be okay?

Fully submerged, or partially?
How long between submerged to active drying?

As someone else here already observed, it is the transition
(in time AND in space) between wet and dry that causes the
corrosion problems.

Fresh water or pool/sea/salt/flood?

If not fresh water, then rinse/soak in fresh water and leave
submerged until you are ready to dry it with hairdryer.

Do you have access to internal components?

Need to remove all covers, etc to make sure all surfaces are
actively dried.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2005 2:06:52 PM

Rock <1940@pobox.com> wrote:

>I have just found my DC power supply for a mixer desk in some water. It
>was not plugged in but submerged.
>
>If it dries out completely maybe with the help of a hair dryer etc.,
>should it be okay?

If the water is clean and nothing gets corroded. Flush it out with clean
water, then leave it in the sun for a week or so. You want the power
transformer as dry as possible before applying power.
--scott
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2005 2:06:52 PM

I successfully dealt with a similar situation with water damaged Mackie
1202 mixer. It was drenched and corrosion had, indeed, begun to 'grow'
on the circuit boards inside. I used a product called "No-Ox" to clean
up the circuit boards. I think that particular product no longer
exists, but CAIG has something similar called "DeOxIt".
http://www.caig.com/ , . I carefully removed all visible corrosion and
even applied the No-Ox to areas where there was no corrosion (just in
case). After drying everything up with a hair dryer, I reassembled the
mixer, plugged it in and it's been working fine for years now.
September 29, 2005 6:56:25 PM

In article <1128002537.588981.253930@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "arohana" <arohanamusic@verizon.net> wrote:
>I successfully dealt with a similar situation with water damaged Mackie
>1202 mixer. It was drenched and corrosion had, indeed, begun to 'grow'
>on the circuit boards inside. I used a product called "No-Ox" to clean
>up the circuit boards. I think that particular product no longer
>exists, but CAIG has something similar called "DeOxIt".
>http://www.caig.com/ , . I carefully removed all visible corrosion and
>even applied the No-Ox to areas where there was no corrosion (just in
>case). After drying everything up with a hair dryer, I reassembled the
>mixer, plugged it in and it's been working fine for years now.

Items under water that have power connected, you can pretty much throw
away. I've heard of dishwasher cleaning methods. The most important thing
for me is to immediately dunk it into some clean water. After final washing,
or intermediate washing, I often coat the whole thing with WD-40 and
let it sit in the sun or some other drying method. I have very good
success rate. DeoxIT may work just fine or better, but costs more.

greg
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
September 29, 2005 6:56:26 PM

> Items under water that have power connected, you can pretty much throw
> away. I've heard of dishwasher cleaning methods. The most important thing
> for me is to immediately dunk it into some clean water. After final
> washing,
> or intermediate washing, I often coat the whole thing with WD-40 and
> let it sit in the sun or some other drying method. I have very good
> success rate. DeoxIT may work just fine or better, but costs more.
>
> greg

Last spring I went canoing. The winds were pretty strong. I ended up
capsizing and having to swim the canoe ashore. I had forgot to move my cell
phone from my belt to my dry bag. Thinking it was toast and having nothing
to lose, I opened it up, peeled back the screen and circuit board, rinsed,
and blow-dried it. The battery was dead and would not charge. However,
with a new battery, it is still working just fine. No fogging. Amazingly
lucky? Or good circuitry in a Motorola V400?

Steve King
!