What are the breakthroughs that have changed computer gami..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
changed computer gaming? I think some are

* Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)

*Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)

*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)

*OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

"Doug Stanhope" <doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote in message
> In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
> changed computer gaming? I think some are
>

> * Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)

Not invented by id.

> *Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)

Most definitely not invented by id.

> *OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

John Camrack did his damnedest to not support DirectX.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Doug Stanhope <doug@dougstanhope.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
>changed computer gaming? I think some are
>

>* Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)
>
>*Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)
>
>*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
>
>*OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

Release the game before it's actually finished and then patch in the
missing content later. (thanks id)

Boy did every other game company on the planet jump on this
"innovation".

Xocyll

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:48:08 GMT, Doug Stanhope
<doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote:

>In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
>changed computer gaming? I think some are
>

>* Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)
>
>*Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)
>
>*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
>
>*OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

Quite simply...... The advent and expansion of the Internet and
brodband connections.

Oh, and the imporvements of grahpics processing.

I started gaming on computers with the old Text Hammaraubi game for
the Tandy TRS-80...... It's come a LONG way since then.

Oh Wait, I was playing Hammaraubi on a RTTY/cradel phone link up back
in high school in 1971 linking to a mainframe computer at Clemson
UIniversity. That was the same year I had my first "Hot Chat" too!
Hehehe

Yeah, it's come a long way!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

# Doug Stanhope

> * Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)

Lots of shareware games before Doom, e.g. Llamatron. But I guess these
weren't boxed at retail as shareware versions, so I'll yield.

> *Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)

Lots of prior games let you design your own level. One off the top of my
head: Super Breakout on the ST.

> *Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)

There were prior games with Link-up, e.g. Vroom and some kind of
asteroids game. I think they used RS232, but what's in the protocol?

Not ID-bashing, but credit where it's due :)

--
Toby
asktoby.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"Doug Stanhope" <doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote in message
> In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
> changed computer gaming? I think some are
>

> * Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)
>
> *Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)
>
> *Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
>
> *OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

These are all good things, but id software didn't invent or popularize any
of them. The shareware scene was alive and well for years before Doom came
along. Mods have been a part of gaming since the old Pinball Construction
Set and various track editors for games like Test Drive. Networked game
play was standard on many Macintosh games many years before Doom showed up.
These early games included NetTrek, Bolo, Spectre, and others -- networking
was was much more elegant on the Mac for a long time. Finally, id never
made hardware, and railed against DirectX, Microsoft's proprietary solution.

If we must play this game, I would give grudging credit to Microsoft for
DirectX/Direct3D, standard high resolutions, common networking APIs,
plug-and-play hardware configurations, common sound card support, Uninstall,
Software Update, and effectively killing off competing platforms, thereby
unifying the marketplace. Until Windows 95 came along, the Macintosh was a
superior gaming platform in many respects, due to its high resolution
graphics, functional GUI, high quality built-in sound, active shareware
scene, and ease of use that didn't really even need its better plug-and-play
since everything was included.

To start with id is akin to crediting Nintendo with inventing home video
games, which is something you don't want to do in the r.g.v.c. group. Learn
your history, young Stanhope. :)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:48:08 GMT, Doug Stanhope
<doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote:

>In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
>changed computer gaming? I think some are
>

>* Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)
>
>*Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)
>
>*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
>
>*OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

OK
I went too far thanking id. But they did have a lot of input on some
of these. What I mean is stuff that takes gaming to a different
place.

The shareware concept wasn't shareware exactly. I mean't the practice
of giving the first third of the game away for free. Then selling the
rest of the game to the addicted players. (I guess crack dealers did
this first) Doom exploded because of this. Today if you don't release
a demo of the game no one will touch it!

Like a game like quake that can be networked. Then suddenly people
are playing it on the net. Then people are throwing LAN parties.
Totally changing the way we think about games.

Who would of thunk it!! I've never seen my neice and nephew in
Wisconsin but I'm flying out for QuakeCON!

OpenGL and Direct X I was the first on my block to get a VooDoo card.
When people saw Quake vs GLQuake they went bananas. It was a gigantic
leap into PLAYABLE video games. Of course Quake was a BENCHMARK for
years because of this.

Now create your own level is what I saw with DOOM years ago. But of
course the Half Life people allowed Counterstrike to be extruded from
it. Counterstrike has got to be one of the most successful games.

any more?

> On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:48:08 GMT, Doug Stanhope
> <doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote:
>
> >In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
> >changed computer gaming? I think some are
> >

> >* Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)
> >
> >*Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)
> >
> >*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
> >
> >*OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)
> >

> OK
> I went too far thanking id. But they did have a lot of input on some
> of these. What I mean is stuff that takes gaming to a different
> place.
>
> The shareware concept wasn't shareware exactly. I mean't the practice
> of giving the first third of the game away for free. Then selling the
> rest of the game to the addicted players. (I guess crack dealers did
> this first) Doom exploded because of this. Today if you don't release
> a demo of the game no one will touch it!

Games had demos like that prior to Doom. Wolf3D, Jill Of The Jungle, that
one space game I can never rememeber the name of (TM), the original
side-scroller EGA Duke Nukem, etc.

> Like a game like quake that can be networked. Then suddenly people
> are playing it on the net. Then people are throwing LAN parties.
> Totally changing the way we think about games.

Empire was a networked game for over a decade before Doom/Quake. Trade
Empires was around forever, too.

> OpenGL and Direct X I was the first on my block to get a VooDoo card.
> When people saw Quake vs GLQuake they went bananas. It was a gigantic
> leap into PLAYABLE video games. Of course Quake was a BENCHMARK for
> years because of this.

And the Rendition cards had vQuake which had all the features of GLQuake,
but A: Could be played in Dos (At the time, the most used OS), and B: Had
Anti Aliasing. And there was vTomb Raider, and vIndyCar 2, and vNascar 2,
etc...

> Now create your own level is what I saw with DOOM years ago. But of
> course the Half Life people allowed Counterstrike to be extruded from
> it. Counterstrike has got to be one of the most successful games.

The Wizard (EA) had a level constructor. Pinball Construction Kit also. Gary
Kitchen's Game Maker. Adventure Construction Kit. Quite a few maze programs.

--
psz

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:48:08 GMT, Doug Stanhope
<doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote:

>*OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

Erm, how did iD invent that?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

and you got your facts where?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Don't forget Epic's pinball games, many of which were shareware.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"Doug Stanhope" <doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote in message >

Hmmm. Seem to remember lots of shareware games on BBS systems in the early
80's. On the PC the Apogee stuff was well before iD.

> *Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)

Hmmm. Pinball Construction Set on the Apple II ?

> *Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)

Hmmm. Seem to remember playing networked MazeWars on the Mac network in
college in the mid 80's. So the iD stuff wasn't even the first networked
FPS.

> *OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

OpenGL as a standard was around long before iD. They just championed it.
DirectX is Microsoft and is the anti-OpenGL.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

> OK
> I went too far thanking id. But they did have a lot of input on some
> of these. What I mean is stuff that takes gaming to a different
> place.
>
> The shareware concept wasn't shareware exactly. I mean't the practice
> of giving the first third of the game away for free. Then selling the
> rest of the game to the addicted players. (I guess crack dealers did
> this first) Doom exploded because of this. Today if you don't release
> a demo of the game no one will touch it!

While Apogee/ID did a lot to make this concept popular (for a time it
was their only way of selling games..) Demos have been around since
the 80s, well before Doom. Doom just happens to be one of the early
well known sucess stories of that model. Didn't Infocom even have
"demo disks" ?

Many of these advances aren't due to any one company, its more to the
advancement of technology and whats possible. Before the Internet and
high speed modems became prevelant, it was very hard to have anything
besides 1on1 modem games, if that even.

Demos became more prevelent when it became easier to distribute them.
Europe had the Disk Mag setup for years, but in the US we didn't get
into that until the CD-ROM magazine era, you could distribute demos
via BBSs and such.. but otherwise it was hard and costly to get the
demos to the people. Now with high speed access and easy distribution
chains and such, the process is much easier and more standard.

Not to take anything away from ID, Wolf and Doom are responsible for
starting an entire genre, sorta like SF2 started the 'modern' fighting
game craze. (Not to take anything away from classics like Karate
Champ, etc. but it was SF2 that started the revolution)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

Doug Stanhope <doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote in message news:<nq3ma01em6mn6oi9od0v7rni40vdtdbvgp@4ax.com>...
> In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
> changed computer gaming? I think some are
<snip>
> *Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)

Its not quite on the same playing level as, say UO, but I have a very
vague recollection* of my friend's Dad playing some sort of text-only
MUD through Prestel service in the UK, (which started in the mid/late
70's, I believe), around 1980.

I'll keep the cross posting in, as I'll happily be corrected by
someone more knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Mark.
----------
One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends
can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention.
--Clifton Fadiman, 1904 - 1999

* Disclaimer!
This was more than 20 years ago and I was pretty young at the time and
not into electronics/computers at all so I may be completely wrong!

Doug Stanhope wrote:

> *OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

Id had nothing whatsoever to do with either. I suspect you mean
affordable 3d accelerators which worked : in which case, thanks 3dFx.

ID did champion OpenGL and would certainly have had some influence in
future API development for both OpenGL and DirectX, but thats about it.

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
> Release the game before it's actually finished and then patch in the
> missing content later. (thanks id)

What iD game specifically was released unfinished with missing content?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:48:08 GMT, Doug Stanhope
<doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote:

>In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
>changed computer gaming? I think some are

>*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)

You're kidding, right? People have been playing networked games since,
oh, the late 70's with the first MUD experiments in Europe.

- Ed
http://www.antiexperience.com/edtang/

<doug@dougstanhope.com> made out with me while between gasps uttered:

>In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
>changed computer gaming? I think some are
>

>* Doom shareware concept. (thanks id)
>
>*Create your own level - Skins etc (thanks id)
>
>*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
>
>*OpenGL video cards and Direct X (thanks id)

hahahahha

Yes, I do suppose id Software popularized these features/concepts and
was able to profit considerably as a result while introducing them to
the masses.

--

best regards, mattchu

On Wed, 19 May 2004, I've Got a Loverly Bunch of Coconuts wrote:

> unifying the marketplace. Until Windows 95 came along, the Macintosh was a
> superior gaming platform in many respects, due to its high resolution

I think before Windows 95 the Macintosh was a great machine for work but
the Commodore Amiga was the superior gaming platform with the Atari ST
being the best of both worlds, great for working and gaming! Also as far
as I know, Midimaze for the Atari ST was the first MP FPS with bots...

lupin3@planetjurai.com (Jack Laughlin) wrote in

> Didn't Infocom even have "demo disks" ?

Yes, they had two "sampler" disks. The first had samples of Zork I,
Planetfall, Infidel, and The Witness. The second one had Zork I, Leather
Goddess of Phobos, and Trinity. There was also a "MiniZork" demo of Zork I
that was released on the Commodore 64.

Knight37

Andrew

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:40:56 -0700, "MrBiggles"
<mrbiggles909@yahoo.net> wrote:

>and you got your facts where?

Assorted iD press releases from the sound of it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

"One Punch Mickey" <fantantiddlyspan@hotmail.com> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
>> Release the game before it's actually finished and then patch in the
>> missing content later. (thanks id)
>
>What iD game specifically was released unfinished with missing content?

DOOM

First released with no modem/network support at all, and no support for
any sound card except a Soundblaster PRO (maybe it was the SB 16).

iD made no bones about it not being done, and that they were releasing
it as is because fans were tired of waiting for it and screaming and
would patch it as each piece was finished.

Now every company feels the need to retail games that are still Beta and
fix them later, even without the fan base screaming for it to be
released already.

Frankly i'm damn sick of paying for finished games and getting betas
that may or may not ever be patched to completion.

Xocyll

"Edward Tang" <REMOVESPAMebt201@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:48:08 GMT, Doug Stanhope
> <doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote:
>
> >In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
> >changed computer gaming? I think some are
>
> >*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
>
> You're kidding, right? People have been playing networked games since,
> oh, the late 70's with the first MUD experiments in Europe.

You're kidding right? comparing MUDs with online death match. ID opened up
the mass market for online gaming. playing MUDs was for the few who liked
RPG's and were lucky enough to have internet access. When Quake (1) was
released everyone could play online.

Ries

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:21:41 +0200, "Ries" <ries2@cistron.nl> wrote:

>"Edward Tang" <REMOVESPAMebt201@nyu.edu> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 May 2004 07:48:08 GMT, Doug Stanhope
>> <doug@dougstanhope.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In the history of computer gaming what are the breakthroughs that have
>> >changed computer gaming? I think some are
>>
>> >*Network game play (thanks id) (thanks id)
>>
>> You're kidding, right? People have been playing networked games since,
>> oh, the late 70's with the first MUD experiments in Europe.
>
>You're kidding right? comparing MUDs with online death match. ID opened up
>the mass market for online gaming. playing MUDs was for the few who liked
>RPG's and were lucky enough to have internet access. When Quake (1) was
>released everyone could play online.

I'm not arguing that the commercial potential wasn't realized until
later, sure, but id was definitely not "responsible" for the
technological breakthrough of online gaming.

However, don't underestimate the popularity of MUDs. At their height
of popularity computer networks (particularily academic ones) actually
had bandwidth issues because of their popularity. MUDs were far more
universal than for "the few who liked RPGs" as they were the first
very serious experiments in online society building, chat rooms,
dynamic online geographies... as well as twitch and turn based style
multi user games.

And No, when Quake I was released not everyone could play online,
solid fast-enough internet access in many parts of the world was just
beginning become widely availilble around '96 and I would argue that
while Quake was among the first Counter Strike and Starcraft had far
larger impacts with the *mass market popularity* of online gaming.

But in any case, I think it's hilariously short sighted to give sole
credit to ID for the breakthrough of either networked or online
gaming.

So I'm not kidding. Go read up on the stuff.

- Ed
http://www.antiexperience.com/edtang/

Alai

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,rec.games.computer.ultima.online,rec.games.video.classic (More info?)

I like how LucasFilm Games' Scumm system revolutionized the adventure genre.
It was a genius concept.