Account codes gone bad....

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 19, 2004 9:03:26 PM

Hey!

Just reciently I bought some 90 codes from a vendor (Got them cheaper than
the normal 90 day codes and saved some $$'s). Imagin my supprise when all of
a sudden my account gets blocked and WOW! it's due to those new 90 day
codes. After some checking I find that the person that my broker bought them
from got a bunck of codes, then after selling them got a refund... affected
about 3000 ppl from what I've found out, although my broker won't tell me
who it was (Probably a good thing, profeshinal and all..... Bad emails would
come their way otherwise among other things....) Anyway, after I get my
account fixed with EA (Supprisingly easy) they sent me a Customer Survey....
So I fill it out..... "What would you say is the one thing EA could do to
improve our service?".... Oh boy!

<Rant>
Well for one thing, my account was disabled due to someone buying game time
codes from you, selling them to brokers (Which I got mine from) and then got
a refund on the codes that were bought. This is something that EA could have
and should have stopped by checking to see if any of the codes had already
already been used. In my mind you have, by not checking this fact, helped
someone commit criminal fraud. I can only assume (Based on the reports that
I have that about 3000 ppl were affected) that you know have a LOT of
unhappy customers that spent their hard earned $$'s and gold on codes to
play UO. I'd say at a minimum that the ppl affected by this should not be
punished (As we have been) and should be compensated for your thoughlessness
in refunding codes that had already been used. (As I mentioned this is
something that you easily could had checked, and then refused to refund.
After all how many merchants refund money on a box of candy that has already
been eaten??) I would LOVE to hear a reply on not only this, but on the
whole matter in general. What are you planning to do? Or are you just going
to let the player community take it in the shorts? I would personally love
to hear that you will not only do something, but compensate us the players
who got burned due to your... less than enthusiastic checking of records
(i.e. checking that the codes were not already used prior to refunding the
money). However I'm not holding my breath that you will even respond to me.
Feel free to prove me wrong on all fronts!
</Rant>

Thats what I sent them. I don't expect a responce (Been playing UO to long
to expect that). What the hell, I can hope.
Anyway IF they do reply I'll pass it on IF anyone cares. I'll judge by the
rplys this gets.
Also wondering if anyone else got hit by this? (In this group or know
someone that has)

Alminair GM Smith/Miner
Aspiring Tailor

More about : account codes bad

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 19, 2004 10:15:27 PM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:03:26 GMT, "Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Hey!
>
> Just reciently I bought some 90 codes from a vendor (Got them cheaper than
>the normal 90 day codes and saved some $$'s). Imagin my supprise when all of
>a sudden my account gets blocked and WOW! it's due to those new 90 day
>codes. After some checking I find that the person that my broker bought them
>from got a bunck of codes, then after selling them got a refund... affected
>about 3000 ppl from what I've found out, although my broker won't tell me
>who it was (Probably a good thing, profeshinal and all..... Bad emails would
>come their way otherwise among other things....) Anyway, after I get my
>account fixed with EA (Supprisingly easy) they sent me a Customer Survey....
>So I fill it out..... "What would you say is the one thing EA could do to
>improve our service?".... Oh boy!

EA has a gift for doing exactly the wrong thing with their customer
service.

I'd been hearing rumours that something was fishy with the account
codes that some brokers were selling. A few of them have been selling
them at prices below what EA charges for months now.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 20, 2004 8:33:10 AM

Well apparently this was just one supplier of codes. I'm also guessing that
EA has a volume discount that allows retailers to make money on the codes
and cards as well, otherwise there would be no reason for ppl to resale them
at all. Most of the acount codes that EA sells are on the $13 a month scale.
Kinda bullshit when you get reductions in rate for longer time ammounts via
CC, but the codes from EA don't. Either way I'd love to have the person who
got this 'refund' in an alley for about 10 min or so.... Better yet in jail
with a cell mate named Bubba. *Sigh* the reality is probably more along the
lines of "they are outside the US". Hell prob in India withthe rest of the
EA customer support!

"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:03:26 GMT, "Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Hey!
> >
> > Just reciently I bought some 90 codes from a vendor (Got them cheaper
than
> >the normal 90 day codes and saved some $$'s). Imagin my supprise when all
of
> >a sudden my account gets blocked and WOW! it's due to those new 90 day
> >codes. After some checking I find that the person that my broker bought
them
> >from got a bunck of codes, then after selling them got a refund...
affected
> >about 3000 ppl from what I've found out, although my broker won't tell me
> >who it was (Probably a good thing, profeshinal and all..... Bad emails
would
> >come their way otherwise among other things....) Anyway, after I get my
> >account fixed with EA (Supprisingly easy) they sent me a Customer
Survey....
> >So I fill it out..... "What would you say is the one thing EA could do to
> >improve our service?".... Oh boy!
>

> EA has a gift for doing exactly the wrong thing with their customer
> service.
>
> I'd been hearing rumours that something was fishy with the account
> codes that some brokers were selling. A few of them have been selling
> them at prices below what EA charges for months now.
>
> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 20, 2004 11:25:15 AM

On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:03:26 GMT, "Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net>
wrote:
OK, I gotta weigh in here for a sec on this.... You probably are not
going to like what I am going to say either..... But it starts out
like this....

There ain't no free lunches.

You were looking for something for nothing in essence. What you got
was Nothing for Something... Often the case when you lok for "cut
rate" deals.

>Hey!
>
> Just reciently I bought some 90 codes from a vendor (Got them cheaper than
>the normal 90 day codes and saved some $$'s). Imagin my supprise when all of
>a sudden my account gets blocked and WOW! it's due to those new 90 day
>codes. After some checking I find that the person that my broker bought them
>from got a bunck of codes, then after selling them got a refund... affected
>about 3000 ppl from what I've found out, although my broker won't tell me
>who it was (Probably a good thing, profeshinal and all..... Bad emails would
>come their way otherwise among other things....) Anyway, after I get my
>account fixed with EA (Supprisingly easy) they sent me a Customer Survey....
>So I fill it out..... "What would you say is the one thing EA could do to
>improve our service?".... Oh boy!

Oh yeah, He has the descretion to remain tight lipped about his
sources..... Where were those ethics when he was out gathering up
these commodities to sell? Real professional. Sounds like a prime scam
to me. I wouldn't dobut but what the broker and the owner of the codes
were one in the same!

><Rant>
>Well for one thing, my account was disabled due to someone buying game time
>codes from you, selling them to brokers (Which I got mine from) and then got
>a refund on the codes that were bought. This is something that EA could have
>and should have stopped by checking to see if any of the codes had already
>already been used. In my mind you have, by not checking this fact, helped
>someone commit criminal fraud. I can only assume (Based on the reports that
>I have that about 3000 ppl were affected) that you know have a LOT of
>unhappy customers that spent their hard earned $$'s and gold on codes to
>play UO. I'd say at a minimum that the ppl affected by this should not be
>punished (As we have been) and should be compensated for your thoughlessness
>in refunding codes that had already been used. (As I mentioned this is
>something that you easily could had checked, and then refused to refund.
>After all how many merchants refund money on a box of candy that has already
>been eaten??) I would LOVE to hear a reply on not only this, but on the
>whole matter in general. What are you planning to do? Or are you just going
>to let the player community take it in the shorts? I would personally love
>to hear that you will not only do something, but compensate us the players
>who got burned due to your... less than enthusiastic checking of records
>(i.e. checking that the codes were not already used prior to refunding the
>money). However I'm not holding my breath that you will even respond to me.
>Feel free to prove me wrong on all fronts!
></Rant>
>
>Thats what I sent them. I don't expect a responce (Been playing UO to long
>to expect that). What the hell, I can hope.
>Anyway IF they do reply I'll pass it on IF anyone cares. I'll judge by the
>rplys this gets.
>Also wondering if anyone else got hit by this? (In this group or know
>someone that has)
>
>Alminair GM Smith/Miner
>Aspiring Tailor

In the long run you bought a diamond ring for a nickle and what you
got was a diamond ring that wasn't worth $.05! Then you expected UO
to cover your butt by checking to see if the codes were valid. Well,
maybe they should have but it wouldn't have kept you from getting
ripped off would it? And in the end, you had to do what? Pay the
normal price for your game access. Now you are out way more than the
original price.

:sigh: All for the hopes of getting something for nothing.

I say again.... There ain't no free lunches!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 20, 2004 10:58:12 PM

"Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net> schreef in bericht
> Hey!
>
> Just reciently I bought some 90 codes from a vendor (Got them cheaper
than
> the normal 90 day codes and saved some $$'s).
<snip>

You're not going to like my reaction either.:p
First: I think selling account codes through a vendor is illegal?
I was under the impression youre supposed to call a gm when you see someone
doing that.
But with all the scamming going on, and if youre able to buy something
cheaper then its supposed to be, doesnt that ring a bell?

Secondly: if the post below the /rant sign, is the email you actually sent
to EA, then I wouldnt be too surpised if you
didnt get an answer.
You bought the code, you bought it for less then its supposed to cost, and
you somehow blame this all on
EA, AND you show the biggest lack of respect Ive seen, in an email to a
gamescompany, and yet you
complain about their customer support..
I find its uually a great way to get treated with respect, if you treat
others with respect first.:p

Earendil
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 21, 2004 5:07:25 AM

<Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 May 2004 17:03:26 GMT, "Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
> OK, I gotta weigh in here for a sec on this.... You probably are not
> going to like what I am going to say either..... But it starts out
> like this....

Don't matter :)  Everyone has their opinion and frankly if I didn't want to
invite comment I wouldn't have posted.

> There ain't no free lunches.
>
> You were looking for something for nothing in essence. What you got
> was Nothing for Something... Often the case when you lok for "cut
> rate" deals.

I wasn't looking for something for nothing. I was looking for an economic
deal to make the game I love more affordable. And I did. Additionally I
didn't loose anything since my money was refunded due to this 'issue'.
Realistically I did get 'free' time from when I put in my game codes to when
they 'refunded' them. That wasn't something I was looking for though. What I
wanted, and still do, was 90 game time codes that give you a discount like
signing up for 6 month shot of UO with the CC. $3 off a month for doing that
with a CC, but screw you on the GTC is the message I'm getting from EA.
Frankly I'm not fond of revolving charges on my CC. The more their are the
harder it is to keep track of. Much simpler just to use GTC's for UO, plus
it allows you to control when the charges hit. Not that it matters much but
It wasn't like I was paying 5.99 for codes. That would be a "Duh, your gonna
get screwed!" I payed about $30.00 each for 90 day codes! *Gasp!* i.e. I
payed the same ammount that it would have cost me using CC w/6 month charge.
Not something for nothing... Just a different way of paying and tracking.

But thanks for your view. I did have to think for a second on that. I 'knew'
why I disagreed, but it took some thought to verbalize it.

> [...]
> >Anyway IF they do reply I'll pass it on IF anyone cares. I'll judge by
the
> >rplys this gets.
> >Also wondering if anyone else got hit by this? (In this group or know
> >someone that has)
> >
> >Alminair GM Smith/Miner
> >Aspiring Tailor
> >

> In the long run you bought a diamond ring for a nickle and what you
> got was a diamond ring that wasn't worth $.05! Then you expected UO
> to cover your butt by checking to see if the codes were valid. Well,
> maybe they should have but it wouldn't have kept you from getting
> ripped off would it? And in the end, you had to do what? Pay the
> normal price for your game access. Now you are out way more than the
> original price.
>
> :sigh: All for the hopes of getting something for nothing.
>
> I say again.... There ain't no free lunches!
May 21, 2004 5:49:57 AM

"Mieke Schotting" <mschotting@nospamplanet.nl> wrote in message

> "Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net> schreef in bericht
> > Hey!
> >
> > Just reciently I bought some 90 codes from a vendor (Got them cheaper
> than
> > the normal 90 day codes and saved some $$'s).
> <snip>
>
> You're not going to like my reaction either.:p

Same as above email :)  I don't expect anyone to agree with me :)  I however
suspect you will like my reaction less :)
Nothing personal, I'm just stating MY view on this and targeting the points
you brought up.

> First: I think selling account codes through a vendor is illegal?
> I was under the impression youre supposed to call a gm when you see
someone
> doing that.

If that was the case, EA wouldn't sell them in bulk to retailors eh? "One
guy wants 3000 90 day codes? Shure he'll put them on his own account!" I
think not. Even if they don't officially endorse it, they don't discurage
it. Check Markee Dragon's site and numerous others. Hell UO Auction sells
them as profit in order to keep running. If OSI disapproved I don't think it
would be possible to do. Do you?

> But with all the scamming going on, and if youre able to buy something
> cheaper then its supposed to be, doesnt that ring a bell?

If it matters see above. Not like I'm getting a super great deal. Works out
the same as CC on a 6month charge.

> Secondly: if the post below the /rant sign, is the email you actually sent
> to EA,

Yes it is, a copy-past in fact

>then I wouldnt be too surpised if you
> didnt get an answer.

Me niether, but not for the reasons that you stated.

> You bought the code, you bought it for less then its supposed to cost

See above email.

>, and
> you somehow blame this all on
> EA,

Not what happened, just how they handled it. The "We didn't check the
merchindise when we gave out a refund, so your account is disabled" doesn't
scan with me. Offhand I can't think of anywhere else it would.

>AND you show the biggest lack of respect Ive seen, in an email to a
> gamescompany, and yet you
> complain about their customer support..

Although as bitter as I may sound I have had a lot of good experiences with
EA support. However the occasional pain in the ass they throw me usually
overshadows the good experiances.

> I find its uually a great way to get treated with respect, if you treat
> others with respect first.:p

If they HAD then I would have. Name me some company that resales something,
doesn't get paid, and then reposess the item after its been resold to a
customer? That would be like buying a car(In full), and then the factory
repoing the same car because the dealer didn't pay them(Regardless that you
paid for it in full). Last I looked in the US, selling something (Even if it
resells multiple times after that) without intent to deliver is called
fraud. Hmmmm..... Also I somewhat remember it is illegal? Here we have
someone that buys 3K codes, sells them and takes the money, and then turns
around and gets a refund from EA on the same codes. Probably doubled his
cost for FREE. My gripe with EA is that it would have been easy for EA to
spend a couple of hours and checked the status of the codes. Most companys
I've know don't give refunds when a 1 use item had already been used.
Additionally they would have saved themselves from Grumpy bastards like me
complaining. Not that I expect anything to be done about it. However as far
as your 'lack of respect' YES! My respect meter is running low right now.
How much does it take for EA to reallize that when they give a refund, and
then suspend 3K accounts due to that refund, that those codes had been
resold already? How much thinking after that to realize that it sounds like
a textbook example of fraud? Yes my respect for EA is low. I love the game,
but I'm not happy with the company. So I made my complaint, and stated my
view. They have the option to hit delete if'n they can't take what I
consider to be needed criticism.

Apparently I'm the only one in this group that got tagged like this *Shrug*.
Well hell; that's life.
Thanks for the different viewpoint though.

Alminair

> Earendil

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 21, 2004 6:00:48 AM

<Snipped>

I missed this part of your email when I replied, my appologies.

> Oh yeah, He has the descretion to remain tight lipped about his
> sources..... Where were those ethics when he was out gathering up
> these commodities to sell? Real professional. Sounds like a prime scam
> to me. I wouldn't dobut but what the broker and the owner of the codes
> were one in the same!

I very much doubt that since I did get a refund. I wouldn't have if the
above was the case.

> In the long run you bought a diamond ring for a nickle and what you
> got was a diamond ring that wasn't worth $.05! Then you expected UO
> to cover your butt by checking to see if the codes were valid. Well,
> maybe they should have but it wouldn't have kept you from getting
> ripped off would it? And in the end, you had to do what? Pay the
> normal price for your game access. Now you are out way more than the
> original price.
>
> :sigh: All for the hopes of getting something for nothing.
>
> I say again.... There ain't no free lunches!

I think what I said in the first responce pretty much covers this. Their are
no free lunches, but there are good deals. Additionally this is also a
comment on EA's buiz model since they are selling GTC's to resellers in the
first place. Nor is this a 'new' thing. Many Buiz all over the world make
their money reselling things.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 21, 2004 7:51:01 PM

> "Mieke Schotting" <mschotting@nospamplanet.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net> schreef in bericht
> > > Hey!
> > >
> > > Just reciently I bought some 90 codes from a vendor (Got them
cheaper
> > than
> > > the normal 90 day codes and saved some $$'s).
> > <snip>
> >
> > You're not going to like my reaction either.:p
>
> Same as above email :)  I don't expect anyone to agree with me :)  I however
> suspect you will like my reaction less :)
> Nothing personal, I'm just stating MY view on this and targeting the
points
> you brought up.

Thats why I dont dislike your reaction at all.:)

> > First: I think selling account codes through a vendor is illegal?
> > I was under the impression youre supposed to call a gm when you see
> someone
> > doing that.
>
> If that was the case, EA wouldn't sell them in bulk to retailors eh? "One
> guy wants 3000 90 day codes? Shure he'll put them on his own account!" I
> think not. Even if they don't officially endorse it, they don't discurage
> it. Check Markee Dragon's site and numerous others. Hell UO Auction sells
> them as profit in order to keep running. If OSI disapproved I don't think
it
> would be possible to do. Do you?

Ah my bad, I thought you had bought them off a vendor IN game.
I do remember reading thats considered illegal, but I'd have to look that
up.

<snip>

> If they HAD then I would have. Name me some company that resales
something,
> doesn't get paid, and then reposess the item after its been resold to a
> customer? That would be like buying a car(In full), and then the factory
> repoing the same car because the dealer didn't pay them(Regardless that
you
> paid for it in full). Last I looked in the US, selling something (Even if
it
> resells multiple times after that) without intent to deliver is called
> fraud. Hmmmm..... Also I somewhat remember it is illegal? Here we have
> someone that buys 3K codes, sells them and takes the money, and then turns
> around and gets a refund from EA on the same codes.

Hmm thats a different story then I thought it was.
If thats the case, they are indeed involved.
Do you know for sure this involves 3000 people?
Uhm then thats a very rich guy now, since 3000 x 30 (?) is a big amount.:(

Maybe you need to post about this on stratics, since thats actually read by
EA people?

Earendil
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 22, 2004 11:23:12 AM

"Alminair" <alminair@earthlink.net> wrote:
>LOL, ty :)  I'm just stating my views. Sometimes I'm wrong. Had I posted and
>been unable to answer your points, then I would have been wrong (In my
>mind).

ROTFLMAO.

D.
--