synth->amp & house mix feed

Last response: in Home Audio
September 29, 2005 12:13:08 AM

I should probably ask these questions on the live music Usenet group,
but I've been reading RAP for almost a decade and know and trust many
of the people here. Also, I hope you'll forgive my ignorance as you
read the following paragraphs.

Lately, I've been playing keyboards in a "corporate band," playing
through a conventional system (a Barbetta amp which has a "line out"
for the house mix), but in a couple of weeks I'll be getting a pair of
cabs from Euphonic Audio and will be updating my system accordingly.
I'm asking questions now so I'll be ready to go when the cabs arrive.

I plan to use the following components:

1. Roland FantomXR rack synth, L & R out (which are balanced, "+4"
outputs).
2. Hafler P4000 stereo amplifier.
3. Two EA CXL110 10" speaker cabs.

First of all, can I run the synth straight into the Hafler power amp?
There should be enough level to drive the amp with a pair of +4 outputs
- right? (To mention the obvious, the Hafler *does* have variable input
gain.)

Assuming that is okay, is there any way for me to get a stereo feed to
the house mix? I can't seem to think of an elegant solution other than
using a mixer with multiple stereo outs (I was trying to avoid using a
mixer). I think there would be a problem using balanced Y cables on the
synth output, no? Is there a better solution for splitting to avoid
load problems? Or would the Y cables be okay?

Any ideas? It seems silly to bring in a mixer and all those extra
channels, gain stages, weight, and rackspace just for an extra feed of
a mere two channels of audio.

I have to get in and out of a lot of San Francisco hotels in a hurry
(often tricky with parking, elevators and whatnot) so I'm trying to
stay simple, light and portable....

Thanks,

-Naren
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:04:20 AM

"Naren" <naren99@aol.com> wrote in message
>I should probably ask these questions on the live music Usenet group,
> but I've been reading RAP for almost a decade and know and trust many
> of the people here. Also, I hope you'll forgive my ignorance as you
> read the following paragraphs.
>
> Lately, I've been playing keyboards in a "corporate band," playing
> through a conventional system (a Barbetta amp which has a "line out"
> for the house mix), but in a couple of weeks I'll be getting a pair of
> cabs from Euphonic Audio and will be updating my system accordingly.
> I'm asking questions now so I'll be ready to go when the cabs arrive.
>
> I plan to use the following components:
>
> 1. Roland FantomXR rack synth, L & R out (which are balanced, "+4"
> outputs).
> 2. Hafler P4000 stereo amplifier.
> 3. Two EA CXL110 10" speaker cabs.
>
> First of all, can I run the synth straight into the Hafler power amp?
> There should be enough level to drive the amp with a pair of +4 outputs
> - right? (To mention the obvious, the Hafler *does* have variable input
> gain.)
>
> Assuming that is okay, is there any way for me to get a stereo feed to
> the house mix? I can't seem to think of an elegant solution other than
> using a mixer with multiple stereo outs (I was trying to avoid using a
> mixer). I think there would be a problem using balanced Y cables on the
> synth output, no? Is there a better solution for splitting to avoid
> load problems? Or would the Y cables be okay?
>
> Any ideas? It seems silly to bring in a mixer and all those extra
> channels, gain stages, weight, and rackspace just for an extra feed of
> a mere two channels of audio.
>
> I have to get in and out of a lot of San Francisco hotels in a hurry
> (often tricky with parking, elevators and whatnot) so I'm trying to
> stay simple, light and portable....
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Naren

A problem I can forsee with the setup you've considered is the relative
level sent to the FOH (and perhaps monitors) mixer relative to your onstage
monitoring rig. Yes, you could control this with the gain controls on the
amp itself, but this is not really the purpose for those controls. A more
elegant solution would be to get a rack-mount mixer (you can get these from
Behringer, including a 1U version, for really cheap). Take the main outs to
send to FOH, then use aux outputs to send to your power amp. Since your amp
and Fantom are both rackmounted, a 1 or 2U rackmount mixer should fit into a
6-space rack with the other gear. This would still be nicely portable and
simple to set up (you could even have most of your rear-mounted connections
wired up in the box with little fiddling during setup). The mixer approach
has several advantages. First, if (and likely when) you decide to add
additional sound modules, you will have a place to plug them in. Second,
each input channel will have an EQ that you could use to obtain optimal
sound from your rig. Third, you can control your monitor rig volume
independent of the FOH (something the FOH engineer will certainly
appreciate).

Craig
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 6:21:32 PM

"Naren" <naren99@aol.com> wrote in message

> Any ideas?

You could take the output of the instrument to the house mixer, and get a
monitor mix from the house mixer to your amplifier and speakers. That way,
you can ask the person running the house mixer to also feed other
instruments to your speakers, so you can hear the other band members. .

Tim
!