Sign in with
Your question

Alienware

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
June 29, 2002 12:51:37 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I couldn't find a catagory for "systems". Anyway, I'm thinking of getting an Alienware "Area 51" with a few upgrades, most notably the new rambus 4200 Rimms. Everything I've found from professional reviewers seems pretty good, but there are some places out there saying that they've had pretty bad experiences with Alienware, especially with their service. Any comments anyone?

More about : alienware

June 29, 2002 1:17:11 PM

If you buy retail, then what you're paying for IS the service, support, warrantees/gaurantees.......If theyre lacking in that dept. then look elsewhere. Dell has good service, although they dont really make a gamers machine.

I sold my sig for $50.
June 29, 2002 1:58:17 PM

ORR.... You could build you own!!! :smile: For a lot less may I add. I'd say the only thing you'd be lacking in is the service/guarantee, but after working on computers for a while, I'm sure you'd make a better support person than any of the service personnel at those companies. Building comps is a great learning experience.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:
Related resources
June 29, 2002 5:33:35 PM

Actually this computer is for me at work. I do build my own systems at home. I have the option to make some recommendations to the buyer on the vendor to purchase my computer from. They usually go with standard desktop systems from Dell, or IBM, but I wanted something a little zippier for some data aquisition and spreadsheet/graphic manipulation of some very large data files. I wanted to go with the new rdram, but I didn't see that offered anywhere on the Dell or IBM site. I had configured some XEON systems out on their sites and they would do the trick for sure, but I thought I would explore the Alienware angle for a similar system with the high speed Ram. For work I don't have the option to order parts piecemeal and put the system together myself. It has to be bought by the buyers, funneled through the IT dept, speced out with the standard corporate software package, asset tagged, etc..... before I even get it, but since my application is non-standard, I am getting some flexibility in what I can recommend. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience using Alienware.
June 30, 2002 1:12:33 AM

I've had a great deal of experience with the folks at Alienware. I suggest that you read through some of these older posts from the Computer Shops forum.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">??ALIENWARE??</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tough Decision (Concerning Alienware)</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Alienware Experience & A Good Report On GamePC.com</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">More on Alienware - Repost</A>

I can guarantee that you will seriously regret any dealings that you have with this organization. Considering this is for a work environment, you might wish to continue your search for a reputable company. It's <i>your</i> reputation, after all, good sir.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
June 30, 2002 11:36:03 PM

Alienware isn't bad, but there are other places to look. Voodoo pc and Falcon NW.........

I've seen good out all three, but I would rank performantion wise this way.....

1. Falcon
2. Voodoo
3. Alienware

All support staffs are good, those I've seen at times Alienware staff lacking on technacal side.

Depends on what you wish to spend.......

MeldarthX
July 1, 2002 2:44:52 AM

Hey Toey! What brings you to the CPU forum dude?
You should stick more here too!

--
:smile: Intel and AMD sitting under a tree, P-R-O-C-E-S-S-I-N-G! :smile:
July 1, 2002 2:50:09 AM

Hey, Vic!

You never know where I'll turn up. I may post here more often, since the trolling seems to have slowed down a bit.

I like to check out all the forum sections, even the ones where no one seems to go. You never know what you might find! :wink:

See ya!

Toey

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
July 1, 2002 2:03:08 PM

dude, you cant talk to this "do-it-yourselfers" about computers, unbless you makw your own. But, if your going to buy from a company "as do I" buy from Voodoo. Go to their communty, and ask why Voodoo is better than Alienware, I guarantee you you will buy a Voodoo.

My computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
July 1, 2002 3:27:02 PM

Actually, I finally had an opportunity to open up my own shop last year, and the business is going great guns. I'm primarily selling high performance systems aimed at gamers and power users, with a plethora of customizations available. I really owe Alienware a vote of thanks for this, as after dealing with uncaring OEM companies with proprietary parts, and spending far too much time on the phone trying to get some kind of satisfaction out of a company like Alienware, I realized that I had more than enough experience to <i>be</i> the reseller, instead of the customer. I'm A+ certified, so there really was no excuse for ordering from anyone else in the first place. My mistake was wanting the latest and greatest, when the hardware wasn't available to me on the retail market at the time. Since becoming a vendor, that is no longer an issue.

I guarantee that I can build a system just as hot as anything that comes from Voodoo, and save you a ton of money ... and still make a decent profit for myself. I even do the fancy wiring!

I like Voodoo systems (and yes, I agree, they are superior to the offerings from Alienware), and if I was still in the market for a computer that was built by a third-party, I might do some shopping with them. But the price is literally astronomical for the newest systems, and I can easily cut several thousand dollars off a high-end system for my customers for a machine with a very similar configuration. And I provide the technical support, even remotely, which gives more than satifactory results for anyone who makes a purchase from the shop, because I <i>do</i> care about the customer's overall experience with the systems they buy from me, and I give a 110% to provide that service. I think I have a good work ethic, and I'd be ashamed to do anything less.

Toejam31

July 13, 2002 1:36:37 PM

Thanks for your advice..... I am going with Hypersonic. Seems like more bang for the buck, also all the reviews on resellerratings were exceedingly positive. Here's the rig I'm having the buyer order for me...

Intel 2533MHz Pentium 4 Processor w/ 512K Cache (533FSB)
(Intel) Vantec GSN-7025 High-Performance CPU Cooler
(Intel) Asus P4T533C i850E Pentium4 Motherboard w/ USB 2.0 (RDRAM)
PC1066 512MB RDRAM (RIMM 4200)
PC1066 512MB RDRAM (RIMM 4200)
PC-61 Aluminum Tower Case by Lian Li (Black)
Enermax 431W PEG465P-VE ATX 12V Switching Power Supply
1.44MB Floppy Drive (Black Bezel)
Innerworks Enthusiast Rounded IDE & Floppy Cables (Yellow)
Promise Fastrack TX2 ATA/100 Dual Channel RAID Controller
RAID(0) Striped Drive Configuration (RAID controller required)
(RAID) 2x80GB WD Special Edition 7200rpm (RAID controller required)
Toshiba 16X DVD ROM/48X CD-ROM Drive (Black Bezel)
Plextor PlexWriter CD-R/RW 40X-12X-40X Burn-proof (Black Bezel)
NVIDIA® Geforce4 Ti 4600 128MB DDR (w/ DVI, TV Output & Dual Display)
Innerworks Active Video Cooling
2 x 17" Flat Panel NEC Mitsubishi LCD1700V Thin Frame Monitor (Black) (wish they offered the samsung 171p though)
Cambridge Soundworks FPS1600 4.1 Speakers (Black)
Realtek 10/100MBit Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter
Keytronics Lifetime Designer Keyboard (Black)
MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 Optical USB (Silver)
MS Windows XP Professional CD & Manual Pre-installed & Configured
July 13, 2002 1:49:48 PM

I'm guessing that's gonna cost quite a bit. BTW, if you can switch out those speakers for a set of the Logitech Z560s. Very good from what I've read/heard. Also, why not wait for the P4T533. Then if you can get some RIMM4200, you'd be kickin!

July 13, 2002 1:58:34 PM

The speakers aren't real important to me for this system since it's for work, and won't be playing games or watching DVD movies, etc.... Actually I did order the 4200 RIMMS, and yup, its a pretty penny ~ 4600 or so, but that's for the buyer to take care of ;-) .... And I needed this system a week or so ago, the computer buyer has been on vacation recently so she's been backed up....
She finally gave me approval to use vendors other than IBM and Dell, both of which she requested quotes from.... neither of them could configure a system like the hypersonic, and neither had the 4200 rimms either...
July 13, 2002 2:04:01 PM

Well, the reason I said to get the RIMMs and a P4T533 was cause your mobo (P4T533-C) doesn't support it. Only the P4T533 does. It's not yet available I didn't think.. What are you gonna be using this for. Unless your doing digital editing and video stuff, this comp is really not needed....

July 13, 2002 2:28:50 PM

hmmmm, their website product specs says it supports it http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4t533-c/overview.htm

I can't imagine that hypersonic would offer that mobo on their configurator (the only one offered for this system) if it didn't support the 4200 rimms...

My application is the processing and manipulation of large quantities of data from a data acquisition system we have for several 24/7 experimental processes. Basically I have to perform calculations on gigabytes of data everyday for 6 concurrent processes, then I have to organize all the raw data files (from the 6 control pcs) into directories on my computer, that make sense for later users, and burn all that data to cd's for permanent storage and access.

Basically, I wanted the fastest system my employer would spring for, and that would have the longest service life.
!