serial ata vs eide

rkshack

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2003
Is the price increase for serial ata worth it or do you get basically the same performace in the eide version. I am going to get a hitachi deskstar but trying to decide between eide and serial ata.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Same performance for EIDE and SATA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, other benefits...
Well, WD offers a 10,000RPM drive in SATA that they don't offer in EIDE, but it's still slow enough that it wouldn't make a difference.

SATA is now 150MB/s, so I guess if you had a RAID array and some REALLY fast drives you might see some difference.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, other benefits...
Well, WD offers a 10,000RPM drive in SATA that they don't offer in EIDE, but it's still slow enough that it wouldn't make a difference.

SATA is now 150MB/s, so I guess if you had a RAID array and some REALLY fast drives you might see some difference.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Well, there are some other advantages. Like
- hot swappable
- no master/slave jumpers
- no devices conflicting / contending on the same channel
- longer cable (external drives)
- some scsi-like enhancements like command queuing

Some of these are included in the SATA standard but not yet available in current controllers/drives.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
-no master/slave jumpers

That's putting a positive spin on the truth, which is:
-supports only one drive per cable

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unless they were the same price or I had so many EIDE devices I needed to use the onboard SATA connections, I'd go with whatever was cheapest.