Sound card problems

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
I just bought a "Sound Blaster 16 pci 4.1" for my dads computer. After installing it, the computer would not boot up. It made it to the windows XP loading windows, then after that. Nothing. I took it out and tried to boot again, and once again the same thing. Whats wrong with the computer? It will boot in safe mode and thats it.
His specs are:
AMD Ahtlon XP2000
K7S5A mobo

Could the mobo be shot from the card?
any help would be great, thanks in advance =D

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

What was the soundcard you replaced?
Did you remove the old drivers?
If it was onboard sound, did you disable the soundcard in the CMOS?
If you've done all of the above, try clearing the CMOS, and resetting it.

<b><font color=purple>Listing your system specs, will greatly aid us, in being able to help you solve your problem.</font color=purple></b>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This should work.

In Safe Mode go into Device Manager and delete any sound card drivers that are installed, including onboard sound.

Reboot.

Go into BIOS setup and disable the onboard sound.

Shutdown.

Install the new sound card and boot the system. Windows should now detect the sound card properly.

If you still have problems move the sound card to a different PCI slot and reboot. (You don't have to repeat the other steps).

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Ok i'll try this once i go over. yes i am replacing the on board sound so i hope this works. thanks for all the help guys! i'll keep you posted

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A GREAT friend will be sitting next to you saying "man we really screwed up"

JohnB299

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Ok i followed your directions phsstpok but no luck. I deleted all items in the sound devices, disabled on board sound, installed the card and no luck =( computer still continues to boot to windows loading screen then goes to black after its done. ?? Should i install drivers prior to installing the card to see if that works?