Yay! We do get to choose...

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Our 7th anniversary (or whatever they're calling it) rewards. Now, I just
want to find out if we spend $20 for the new release, do we get 30 days
included? That would make the cost only $5 over the monthly fee
(depending on whether you buy ahead.)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
18 answers Last reply
More about choose
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Polychromic wrote:

    > Our 7th anniversary (or whatever they're calling it) rewards. Now, I just
    > want to find out if we spend $20 for the new release, do we get 30 days
    > included? That would make the cost only $5 over the monthly fee
    > (depending on whether you buy ahead.)
    >

    I don't know if you have tried it yet, but you can preview the gifts on
    TC. You just double click a statue in front of the Brit bank. Some of
    the gifts are really quite nice.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    In this foul year of our lord Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:15:47 GMT, Rick
    Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> proclaimed:

    >Polychromic wrote:
    >
    >> Our 7th anniversary (or whatever they're calling it) rewards. Now, I just
    >> want to find out if we spend $20 for the new release, do we get 30 days
    >> included? That would make the cost only $5 over the monthly fee
    >> (depending on whether you buy ahead.)
    >>
    >
    >I don't know if you have tried it yet, but you can preview the gifts on
    >TC. You just double click a statue in front of the Brit bank. Some of
    >the gifts are really quite nice.

    Nice, a fireplace deed!!! About time... shame we'll have to buy the
    special edition for it :(

    ps. Neon cows??!?


    Jared of Europa
    -*-
    "I have often deprived myself of the necessities of life,
    but I have never consented to give up a luxury."
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Jared of Europa wrote:

    > In this foul year of our lord Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:15:47 GMT, Rick
    > Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> proclaimed:
    >
    >
    >>Polychromic wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Our 7th anniversary (or whatever they're calling it) rewards. Now, I just
    >>>want to find out if we spend $20 for the new release, do we get 30 days
    >>>included? That would make the cost only $5 over the monthly fee
    >>>(depending on whether you buy ahead.)
    >>>
    >>
    >>I don't know if you have tried it yet, but you can preview the gifts on
    >>TC. You just double click a statue in front of the Brit bank. Some of
    >>the gifts are really quite nice.
    >
    >
    > Nice, a fireplace deed!!! About time... shame we'll have to buy the
    > special edition for it :(

    I'm thinking either that or the tapestry if we only get one item.

    The blessed armor/weapons are pretty nice for now but I don't think I
    will byte. I figure in another year of the 'hardware game' as it is
    evolving they will become ordinary.
    >
    > ps. Neon cows??!?
    >

    Yeap. Great loot on them which is why there is always a crowd of butt
    monkies there.

    IMO: It must be an inside joke. All the talk about heroric quests and
    dragon slaying. What people<the masses> really want are neon cows and
    phat loot. I took part for about 10 minutes when it first started then
    dropped out. It is another indication that I am completely out of touch
    with the current user base. Monty Python/rabbit/Tim the Enchanter got it
    right. Phat loot trumps everything.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Jared of Europa <jared@intnospamvelt.com> wrote:
    >Nice, a fireplace deed!!! About time... shame we'll have to buy the
    >special edition for it :(

    Nope. The same gifts will available as a seventh anniversary gift
    (instead of another cake) come September.

    >ps. Neon cows??!?

    On TS, they were a short lived spawn that dropped artifacts and high
    end magic items. The general idea was that since these items and the
    monsters that dropped them spawned in so few areas that a more general
    spawn was needed to get these items into circulation for balance
    testing.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

    >The homeless have to choose function over decoration, so no paintings or
    >fireplaces for me...
    >Or rose bushes...*snickers*

    The rose bushes work just fine (I.E. spawn their leaves) without a
    house.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:
    >>The rose bushes work just fine (I.E. spawn their leaves) without a
    >>house.
    >
    >Oh, i didn't mean that...just seems like a silly gift...+5 str for 5
    >minutes...yay...think i'll pass up the Hildebrandt painting and the long
    >awaited fireplace and go for the bush...

    Oh, I don't know. That +5 means my low magic resist chars don't have
    worry so much about debuffs. It also means that if I overload myself,
    munch on a leaf and recall. Like orange leaves, they offer you handy
    options.

    Pretty much the same applies to your other criticisms.

    >Functional items to benefit various character types would've been better, as it
    >stands, we're getting dressy show pieces that will mostly sit in the bank
    >collecting dust, or hang in someone's private gallery at their palacial Malas
    >mansion...

    They are quite functional, if not perfect. If all you want is another
    cake, fine. I'll take your gifts.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    >That +5 means my low magic resist chars don't have
    >worry so much about debuffs. It also means that if I overload myself,
    >munch on a leaf and recall.

    True, though i learned awhile back to be careful with that sort of thing...when
    i had the tower near Britain moongate(now owned by Windsor Fox), my old
    treasure hunter was hit by a Gazer's weaken spell and downed a strength potion
    because the spell had left her overloaded...(not a pleasant welcome home after
    a few hours digging up treasure...)

    When both spell and potion had worn off, she was left with less hit points than
    she should've had, and ultimately had to call a GM to fix it.
    (think the character had 92 max str at the time, and once spell and potion had
    timed out, she was sitting on 78 hp...)

    >Like orange leaves, they offer you handy
    >options.

    They are handy, wish i had the skill for growing plants...I'd grown a couple to
    mixed results when the system first came out, but haven't really taken the time
    to do so since my first plant died...

    *weeps uncontrollably*

    >They are quite functional, if not perfect. If all you want is another
    >cake, fine. I'll take your gifts.
    >

    No thanks, all that cake is giving me a gut...and i didn't really mean to say
    the current line-up wasn't entirely lacking in functionality, just that i
    would've liked to have seen a more diverse mix that gave mulitple character
    types some little something to benefit them.
    (Or something absolutely daffy, like the magic hat o' plenty they'd proposed as
    a vet reward awhile back...)

    I'd give examples, but it's too easy to get into the "the game's already item
    based enough, we don't need more" debate, so i'll refrain.

    But just as a note to all the people so buggered about the nature of the game
    changing, it really hasn't...it's grown, and the layers have deepened.

    The game's been a pretty even balance of having the right skills and the right
    gear since i started playing at least(a couple months after t2a's release,
    can't speak for the beta days like some folk), it's now a little more diverse,
    allowing for people to have more skills by increasing the performance of some
    skills through jewelry and what-not, rather than absolutely having to be 7xGM,
    i'm seeing alot more Master this and thats at spawns doing pretty well for
    themselves.

    It's all just a matter of how you want to play, and whether you want to get
    into that layer of the game...personally, i prefer real skill to bling, but at
    the same time, i'm glad my great resist bracelet(9f/11c/12po) also has a +8
    Chivalry mod, if it means i fizzle Enemy of One less.

    ~Cyrus of Sosaria~

    Oh, and I finally Bartled, here's my mess:
    Explorer 80% Socializer 66%
    Achiever 40% Killer 13%...
    Don't know how socializer got so high, me being a hermit and all...*chuckles*
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:
    >>Like orange leaves, they offer you handy options.
    >
    >They are handy, wish i had the skill for growing plants...I'd grown a couple to
    >mixed results when the system first came out, but haven't really taken the time
    >to do so since my first plant died...

    We can work something out... If you have a house and chest set to
    'friends', I can build a gardener on your shard. (I.E. you buy the
    supplies and I do the tedious work.)

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    >
    >We can work something out... If you have a house and chest set to
    >'friends', I can build a gardener on your shard. (I.E. you buy the
    >supplies and I do the tedious work.)
    >

    *wonders if he can work out some kinda deal with the owner of the Shattered
    Skull...*

    It's a kind offer, but i'm homeless, and poison's not really that much of a
    bother.(70 poison resist on my armor, and nearly 80 magic resist skill, most
    poison spells just bounce off me, and those that land don't bother me too
    much...and the whole paladin thing is handy in emergencies.)

    I've used the orange petals in the past, but wasn't that impressed by the
    duration of their protection, they're handy if you've got alot on you and know
    you're going to be in danger of being poisoned(say on a poison ele hunt...),
    but against your basic caster, it's easier just to heal or burn it away.

    I'm mainly procrastinating on making a gardner of my own, it's pretty hard to
    make any real cash as a crafter now(or a hunter, orcs are pathetic as a new
    hunter, earth eles are almost as bad, and it really doesn't get that great
    until you start hunting liches or Dread Spiders...way to bring in the new
    players...spend the first couple months of your playtime training skills, and
    the next few building up enough cash to buy a decent suit of armor in the
    screwed-up game economy in order to survive anything tougher than a
    mongbat...), but i had fun working on an alchemist last time i got serious
    about wanting some ferns to water...

    Maybe in a couple months, if finally having a DSL and having WoW on the horizon
    doesn't yank me away....

    ~Cyrus of Sosaria~
    *Keeper of the Black Thumb*
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:
    >I'm mainly procrastinating on making a gardner of my own, it's pretty hard to
    >make any real cash as a crafter now

    Not as an alchemist, and certainly not as a gardener. I guess I've
    made around 7-8 mill since AoS came out selling green thorns.

    >(or a hunter, orcs are pathetic as a new hunter, earth eles are almost as bad,
    >and it really doesn't get that great until you start hunting liches or Dread
    >Spiders...way to bring in the new players...spend the first couple months
    >of your playtime training skills, and the next few building up enough cash
    >to buy a decent suit of armor in the screwed-up game economy in order
    >to survive anything tougher than a mongbat...),

    Now admittedly I know more of what's what than the average newbie, but
    that's nonsense. You can be earning decent money and getting decent
    armor in about twenty-thirty hours of playtime. It'll be a few months
    before you can take on Lich Lords, yah. But there's no reason not to
    be able to hunt and survive most places within 60 hours of playtime
    tops. (This is for a warrior of course, the easiest of the
    templates.)

    Speaking of the economy... House prices have crashed and burned.
    I've seen several in the 9x9 or somewhat larger sizes going for
    100-200k.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    >Not as an alchemist, and certainly not as a gardener. I guess I've
    >made around 7-8 mill since AoS came out selling green thorns.
    >

    That's...not bad...as a casual hunter, minus all my housing, furniture,
    equipment, reagent and tithing expenses, i'd guesstimate that i've MAYBE made 7
    million in the past 5 years...

    And i only have about 1.5 between my two major characters, atm...(been buying
    too much runic armor and bods to get hammers to make my own armor lately, proud
    to say i'm two bods from an agapite hammer, though)

    >Now admittedly I know more of what's what than the average newbie, but
    >that's nonsense.

    I dunno...orcs give about 30-70 gold on average, maybe 100 on lords, and you
    can make a bit more if you lug all the armor and weapons and regs back to
    town...

    Earth eles drop 100-130 gold, and ONE gem now...(gargoyles actually have better
    loot, they can drop up to 4 gems & 100 gold now)

    Now sure, if you farm the low level, easy kills long enough...say by taking one
    of the brigand camps along the highway in Malas over for a few hours, you can
    clean up pretty nicely...(good for a warrior/healer, i suppose, you can keep
    their clothes to make a steady supply of bandages, though passersby on the road
    might give you a few weird looks....)

    And decent physical gear is so-so if you can find a vendor selling something
    other than Doom "rares" and bods, maybe i'm just shopping in the wrong
    places...

    *shrugs*

    And there's always resource harvesting, selling bulk at the bank or to npcs...
    I suppose if you know what you're doing, it's easy, but a new player, with
    little in game guidance, and the rare chance of having an older player help
    them(i like to give away free spined leather armor to youngs, most times they
    seem amazed when i don't ask for money or blood...), might take awhile to find
    the good spots to farm...

    *shrugs*
    ~Cyrus of Sosaria~

    (Not alot of people lately that seem to want to talk to people they don't know,
    it's rare that i'm asked for help anymore...and even rarer that a fellow hunter
    even gives me a howdy on a lich hunt...)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Cyrus of Sosaria wrote:
    <snip>
    > And there's always resource harvesting, selling bulk at the bank or to npcs...
    > I suppose if you know what you're doing, it's easy, but a new player, with
    > little in game guidance, and the rare chance of having an older player help
    > them(i like to give away free spined leather armor to youngs, most times they
    > seem amazed when i don't ask for money or blood...), might take awhile to find
    > the good spots to farm...

    What's kind of funny under the new pricing system is harpies and birds
    are the best kills in the game. You get 2-4 gold per feather so a harpy
    is worth from 170-270 gold. I still wander around with newbie characters
    on different shards and killing a few birds is the quick way to boat
    ownership. It probably isn't good for massive amounts of money since
    there aren't a lot of bowyers in the game. The price of feathers drops
    fairly quickly. It is good for that quick 10k gold with a newb character
    though.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Cyrus of Sosaria wrote:
    >>What's kind of funny under the new pricing system is harpies and birds
    >>are the best kills in the game. You get 2-4 gold per feather so a harpy
    >>is worth from 170-270 gold.
    >
    >
    > What's the going rate on the raw chickens?
    > I used to sell ribs to innkeepers and make a pretty okay newbie living back in
    > the day, just from killing cows.(seem to recall chicken sold better, but i
    > never found a steady enough harpy spawn outside Covetous to make them worth
    > hunting for grub)
    >
    > Cooked meats sell better, but nowadays it's a royal pain to roast what you
    > kill...i miss the old days of: light kindling, double click meat product,
    > target fire, repeat until you've got a stack of meat...

    I remember that. Back in the day when Wind Park was the place to go I
    had a mage/tailor/cook. The cooked meat sold at the inn, brought double
    the price and weighed a *lot* less.

    I really miss those days. That was some of the most fun I had in the
    game. I still remember tailoring hides for people that brought me the
    meat from kills. Bought two huts and a large forge with the proceeds
    from that and escorting.

    Theres's a huge harpy spawn in Ilsh right now ~east of Spirituality.
    They spawn so fast you can lose a dragon. Need a good karma character to
    get by the pixies too.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:53:57 GMT, Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net>
    wrote:

    >Cyrus of Sosaria wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> And there's always resource harvesting, selling bulk at the bank or to npcs...
    >> I suppose if you know what you're doing, it's easy, but a new player, with
    >> little in game guidance, and the rare chance of having an older player help
    >> them(i like to give away free spined leather armor to youngs, most times they
    >> seem amazed when i don't ask for money or blood...), might take awhile to find
    >> the good spots to farm...
    >
    >What's kind of funny under the new pricing system is harpies and birds
    >are the best kills in the game. You get 2-4 gold per feather so a harpy
    >is worth from 170-270 gold. I still wander around with newbie characters
    >on different shards and killing a few birds is the quick way to boat
    >ownership. It probably isn't good for massive amounts of money since
    >there aren't a lot of bowyers in the game. The price of feathers drops
    >fairly quickly. It is good for that quick 10k gold with a newb character
    >though.

    You can sell feathers now? I've never done that but I have something like
    10K of them in my house. Probably better to hold on to them for my archer
    though.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On 20 Jun 2004 17:16:50 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

    >>Theres's a huge harpy spawn in Ilsh right now ~east of Spirituality.
    >>They spawn so fast you can lose a dragon. Need a good karma character to
    >>get by the pixies too.
    >>
    >
    >Zah??
    >
    >Hmm...i haven't explored Ilshenar nearly enough, missing little things like
    >this...
    >
    >Last time i was anywhere east of Spirituality, there was a big serpent dragon,
    >though...not eager to go back.(damn thing roasted me good and crispy before i
    >even saw it.)

    Never saw many harpies there myself. There is a cave where there are a
    few stone harpies though. The only time I noticed serpentine dragons
    there was part of one of those skull>altar spawn event thingamabobs where
    the screen gets darker though. Normally it's easier to go hunt
    serpentine's by going to their nest up through the north pass from the
    Juka city. Heavily camped usually.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >What's kind of funny under the new pricing system is harpies and birds
    >are the best kills in the game. You get 2-4 gold per feather so a harpy
    >is worth from 170-270 gold. I still wander around with newbie characters
    >on different shards and killing a few birds is the quick way to boat
    >ownership. It probably isn't good for massive amounts of money since
    >there aren't a lot of bowyers in the game. The price of feathers drops
    >fairly quickly. It is good for that quick 10k gold with a newb character
    >though.

    Try killing corpsers for logs (to make into boards) & boards.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

    >Last time i was anywhere east of Spirituality, there was a big serpent dragon,
    >though...not eager to go back.(damn thing roasted me good and crispy before i
    >even saw it.)

    It's only there if someone has done the Champ spawn located there, a
    rare occurence (at least on LS).

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:
    >
    >>It's only there if someone has done the Champ spawn located there, a
    >>rare occurence (at least on LS).
    >>
    >
    >Come to think of it, it was around the champs first started popping up in
    >Ilshenar... Nowadays, whenever i wander about Ilsh, i rarely see a champ
    >spawn past it's first rung.

    Largely because Ilsh spawns are *badly* broken.

    D.
    --
    Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Games Video Games