UOGateway problem

Last response: in Video Games
June 20, 2004 5:11:49 PM

Hi

First I have to say that I am new to UO. I got a UO CD some days ago and
tried to connect to a public server via UOGateway. All settings seem to be
ok but if i want to start by clicking on the server usually nothing happens
and sometimes i get the message "Unable to open client". Has anyone a
suggestion how I can use UO with UOGateway?

Thanks
Bernhard

More about : uogateway problem

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 8:56:02 PM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:11:49 +0200, "Bernhard Sax" <aon.912506978@aon.at>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>First I have to say that I am new to UO. I got a UO CD some days ago and
>tried to connect to a public server via UOGateway. All settings seem to be
>ok but if i want to start by clicking on the server usually nothing happens
>and sometimes i get the message "Unable to open client". Has anyone a
>suggestion how I can use UO with UOGateway?

We generally don't support piracy of UO here.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

How's it piracy if he paid for the client? It's not like were trying to
steal free gametime on EA servers....

Anyone that PAID for the client software should be able to choose what type
of server he wishes to connect to...

The Free shard UO EMU's are not pirated software, as there completely
written from scratch....

"Polychromic" <macecil@attbi.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:11:49 +0200, "Bernhard Sax" <aon.912506978@aon.at>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >First I have to say that I am new to UO. I got a UO CD some days ago and
> >tried to connect to a public server via UOGateway. All settings seem to
be
> >ok but if i want to start by clicking on the server usually nothing
happens
> >and sometimes i get the message "Unable to open client". Has anyone a
> >suggestion how I can use UO with UOGateway?
>
> We generally don't support piracy of UO here.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
July 3, 2004 12:36:27 AM

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:31:06 -0400, "Anamolous Materials"
<reggiewjr1@adelphia.net> wrote:

>How's it piracy if he paid for the client? It's not like were trying to
>steal free gametime on EA servers....

If you are playing on a pirate shard instead of paying to play on an
official shard you are not paying to support UO. This is called piracy
whether you paid for the client or not.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 12:36:28 AM

There not Pirate Shards as you put it, none of the UO EMU server software
that I use was "pirated", people like you and I wrote the software for
it...just like Origin / EA did.

Software Piracy (or Theft) is defined as follows:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=software%20the... So if we paid for
the client, and Did Not copy or re-distribute it it isn't Piracy.

And if a person Paid for the Client then they DID pay to support UO...

If EA screwed the pooch and undercut the value of their client software and
doesn't make enough money to pay for the past and future development of UO
then that's their problem, now their trying to get people (like you) that
pay an increased monthly fee to pay for the development of future releases
of UO when that monthly fee should be used only for keeping the servers
running and things of that nature. And I'm not even going too get into the
fact that EA is GIVING away the client software as a FREE Download which
puts the WHOLE burden of both development and technical issues on the
monthly paying player....

Many people are disgusted with the way EA has TRASHED UO since getting it
from Origin, they should be free to play on any shard that provides them
with the best playing experience possible towards their pursuit of happiness
in a custom environment not some EA says so that's all there is to it
community. Free Shards provide this flexibility and customization. As
evidenced by one of the largest UO EMU shards out there (www.uogamers.com -
one of my main competitors) with over 1500+ client connection and growing,
more and more people see the light. IMHO the only people that really care
if EA loses players to the Free UO Community are EA and the EBAY/Paypal
people that are selling in game resources for IRL cash and they don't want
to see their crack cocaine money go away.

Some people act like they are superior for sticking up for EA, when in fact
their lambs heading to slaughter, just like EA canceled dev on UXO the other
day, they will drop the axe on UO itself, and then where will you go? to a
free shard of course....so why waste your $150/yr to begin with....

Also, in reference to the original post that brought me to this discussion:

The newsgroups we are talking on are not provided by EA...it's not listed in
the newsgroups as rec.games.computer.EA.ultima.online, it's a general UO
Forum for ppl to partake in. whether they play on EA or Free Shards has
nothing to do with it. If you didn't want to answer the guys post about the
UOG (www.uogateway.com) software issues then don't reply.

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:31:06 -0400, "Anamolous Materials"
> <reggiewjr1@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >How's it piracy if he paid for the client? It's not like were trying to
> >steal free gametime on EA servers....
>
> If you are playing on a pirate shard instead of paying to play on an
> official shard you are not paying to support UO. This is called piracy
> whether you paid for the client or not.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:23:14 AM

Spot on reply.....EA has screwed with the game..I payed for the game fair
and square and i for one will play on ANY shard i deam provides me with the
best playing experience.EA shards no longer do that for me.....

To get to the original query,try the RUNUO forums for advice re getting the
software to work. Im not a teckie but the folks there will help.

Raven
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 4:30:55 AM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:23:14 GMT, "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Spot on reply.....EA has screwed with the game..I payed for the game fair
>and square and i for one will play on ANY shard i deam provides me with the
>best playing experience.EA shards no longer do that for me.....
>
>To get to the original query,try the RUNUO forums for advice re getting the
>software to work. Im not a teckie but the folks there will help.
>
>Raven

Raven? Who are you? And where did you come from? I don;t recall ever
seeing you post in this group before???
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 3:08:06 PM

<Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:23:14 GMT, "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Spot on reply.....EA has screwed with the game..I payed for the game fair
> >and square and i for one will play on ANY shard i deam provides me with
the
> >best playing experience.EA shards no longer do that for me.....
> >
> >To get to the original query,try the RUNUO forums for advice re getting
the
> >software to work. Im not a teckie but the folks there will help.
> >
> >Raven
> >

> Raven? Who are you? And where did you come from? I don;t recall ever
> seeing you post in this group before???

Raven, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is a RunUO IRC sitter ;->

I make no bones about it: You're using EA's graphics, sounds, protocals,
maps, designs, etc without their permission if you use an EMU. The ONLY
reason EA hasn't gone after people is because most of the emu devs (to keep
EA out of their hair) completely pwn anyone that comes in with a stolen copy
of UO. In other words: Emu Devs promote BUYING UO (Thus EA gets paid), which
in turn gives players free OSI game time, which in turn will sometimes bring
in new paying players.

I run a free shard for me, my nephews (2 of them, both with OSI accounts),
my neice (OSI account), and my brother (OSI account). We use it as a
template testing ground, a tactings training room, and to get an idea of how
OSI crunches the numbers.

I don't advertise the shard, it's not on any public lists, and I don't care
for it to be. Why?

PEOPLE SHOULD STILL PLAY OSI IF THEY USE UO

It's their f'ing game. You have it because THEY created it (for use on THEIR
servers)

No matter how messed up OSI has gotten, it's still THEIR creation. If
someone wants to take one of the emus, completely rewrite the networking,
change ALL the graphics/sounds/gumps/interfaces/maps/animations/etc and
write a new client from scratch (Two I know of), then you might be able to
say that you're not cheating OSI.... Course, at THAT point, you've written a
new game :-P
--
psz
Anonymous

psz wrote:

I've seen him more than once correct
> OSI's people O_o
>
> --
> psz

Ok even I have to admit that would be entertaining.

July 4, 2004 2:45:34 AM

<Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:23:14 GMT, "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com>
>

> Raven? Who are you? And where did you come from? I don;t recall ever
> seeing you post in this group before???

I'm me...and from what i've been told my mothers womb :p

As for posting i havnt posted for about 12 months since i stopped playing
UO, and only then when i wanted to know summat or had answer for someone. I
used a surname in my tag that matched my charactors not just the Raven part.
As this is public it doesnt really matter how often or not i post and why
would it matter if you'd recall me or not?? I'm as entitled to an opinion as
the next man and as entitled to voice it should i deside. It doesnt matter
if you agree or with what i say or not because like me you are also entitled
to say what you think . Therein is the beauty :) ..

Oh and for psz,sorry dude you got the wrong guy,dont do IRC nor am i
involved in RUNUO other than as someone who prefers to use a player run
shard . I've payed money for three expansions and four years of
subs,unfortunatly EA do not give me an experience that i find enjoyable
anymore and as i payed for all my software legally i use it . Perhaps if EA
did have a look at some of these shards and pick up on idea's or even
listened to players they wouldnt lose so many.

I posted coz i happened to agree with what the poster said,isnt that reason
enough to post??

Raven
Formerly of Europa
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 3:15:58 AM

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 22:45:34 GMT, "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

><Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:23:14 GMT, "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com>
>>

>> Raven? Who are you? And where did you come from? I don;t recall ever
>> seeing you post in this group before???
>>

>I'm me...and from what i've been told my mothers womb :p
>
>As for posting i havnt posted for about 12 months since i stopped playing
>UO, and only then when i wanted to know summat or had answer for someone. I
>used a surname in my tag that matched my charactors not just the Raven part.
>As this is public it doesnt really matter how often or not i post and why
>would it matter if you'd recall me or not?? I'm as entitled to an opinion as
>the next man and as entitled to voice it should i deside. It doesnt matter
>if you agree or with what i say or not because like me you are also entitled
>to say what you think . Therein is the beauty :) ..

Just that this group frowns on trolls that just "Happen" to drop in to
advertise for these private shards that breech the TOS and make use of
the resources that we have all paid good, hard earned money to
develope.

>Oh and for psz,sorry dude you got the wrong guy,dont do IRC nor am i
>involved in RUNUO other than as someone who prefers to use a player run
>shard . I've payed money for three expansions and four years of
>subs,unfortunatly EA do not give me an experience that i find enjoyable
>anymore and as i payed for all my software legally i use it . Perhaps if EA
>did have a look at some of these shards and pick up on idea's or even
>listened to players they wouldnt lose so many.
>
>I posted coz i happened to agree with what the poster said,isnt that reason
>enough to post??
>
>Raven
>Formerly of Europa

July 4, 2004 4:52:41 AM

"Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> <Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:23:14 GMT, "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com>
> >

> > Raven? Who are you? And where did you come from? I don;t recall ever
> > seeing you post in this group before???
> >

> I'm me...and from what i've been told my mothers womb :p
>
> As for posting i havnt posted for about 12 months since i stopped playing
> UO, and only then when i wanted to know summat or had answer for someone.
> used a surname in my tag that matched my charactors not just the Raven
part.
> As this is public it doesnt really matter how often or not i post and why
> would it matter if you'd recall me or not?? I'm as entitled to an opinion
as
> the next man and as entitled to voice it should i deside. It doesnt matter
> if you agree or with what i say or not because like me you are also
entitled
> to say what you think . Therein is the beauty :) ..
>
> Oh and for psz,sorry dude you got the wrong guy,dont do IRC nor am i
> involved in RUNUO other than as someone who prefers to use a player run
> shard . I've payed money for three expansions and four years of
> subs,unfortunatly EA do not give me an experience that i find enjoyable
> anymore and as i payed for all my software legally i use it . Perhaps if
EA
> did have a look at some of these shards and pick up on idea's or even
> listened to players they wouldnt lose so many.
>
> I posted coz i happened to agree with what the poster said,isnt that
reason
> enough to post??
>
> Raven
> Formerly of Europa

I think I do remember you... Raven McAndhru or something like that, wasn't
it? Or maybe I'm having a surreal memory short-circuit!

Archeon
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 2:08:37 AM

"Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net> wrote in message

> "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 23:23:14 GMT, "Raven" <raven.grant@ntlworld.com>
> > >

> I think I do remember you... Raven McAndhru or something like that, wasn't
> it? Or maybe I'm having a surreal memory short-circuit!
>
> Archeon

Great memory dude :)  thats me.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:58:32 AM

Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:

> Just that this group frowns on trolls that just "Happen" to drop in to
> advertise for these private shards that breech the TOS and make use of
> the resources that we have all paid good, hard earned money to
> develope.

Just how much money do you think flows back to R&D from the monthly
fees? Looking at the current state of UO and the consolidation in
Florida, I'd wager it's not much at all.

Besides that oftentimes very old client versions have to be used to be
able to connect to free shards. The server software was developed by
someone else than OSI. I don't see any of your money in these
"resources" they use.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:58:33 AM

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:58:32 GMT, HolyMartyr <kalidor.nospam@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Just that this group frowns on trolls that just "Happen" to drop in to
>> advertise for these private shards that breech the TOS and make use of
>> the resources that we have all paid good, hard earned money to
>> develope.
>
>Just how much money do you think flows back to R&D from the monthly
>fees? Looking at the current state of UO and the consolidation in
>Florida, I'd wager it's not much at all.
>
>Besides that oftentimes very old client versions have to be used to be
>able to connect to free shards. The server software was developed by
>someone else than OSI. I don't see any of your money in these
>"resources" they use.

I didn't say "The things that are to BE developed". I said "we have
all paid good, hard earned money to develope."

I know that they are spending very little on the game now. I just
don't like the Johnny-come-lately's!
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 4:58:33 AM

"HolyMartyr" <kalidor.nospam@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Just that this group frowns on trolls that just "Happen" to drop in to
> > advertise for these private shards that breech the TOS and make use of
> > the resources that we have all paid good, hard earned money to
> > develope.
>
> Just how much money do you think flows back to R&D from the monthly
> fees? Looking at the current state of UO and the consolidation in
> Florida, I'd wager it's not much at all.
>
> Besides that oftentimes very old client versions have to be used to be
> able to connect to free shards. The server software was developed by
> someone else than OSI. I don't see any of your money in these
> "resources" they use.

Actually, MOST shards now require you to use the most current client.

--
psz
Anonymous

HolyMartyr wrote:

> Just how much money do you think flows back to R&D from the monthly
> fees? Looking at the current state of UO and the consolidation in
> Florida, I'd wager it's not much at all.

I meant California, of course.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 4:58:42 AM

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 21:54:15 -0500, "psz" <psz01@cox.net> wrote:

>"HolyMartyr" <kalidor.nospam@gmx.net> wrote in message
>> Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Just that this group frowns on trolls that just "Happen" to drop in to
>> > advertise for these private shards that breech the TOS and make use of
>> > the resources that we have all paid good, hard earned money to
>> > develope.
>>
>> Just how much money do you think flows back to R&D from the monthly
>> fees? Looking at the current state of UO and the consolidation in
>> Florida, I'd wager it's not much at all.
>>
>> Besides that oftentimes very old client versions have to be used to be
>> able to connect to free shards. The server software was developed by
>> someone else than OSI. I don't see any of your money in these
>> "resources" they use.
>

>Actually, MOST shards now require you to use the most current client.
>
>--
>psz

Yeah... I run one myself. You need a fairly recent version of the
client to connect at all.
!