Palm T3 vs Dell Axim X30?

August 1, 2004 4:35:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I am going to buy a new handheld ..... not sure what to buy for the long
haul.
I have several questions which I hope you folks can help me with!

1. Is Palm coming out with anything soon to replace the T3? New OS?
2. Does the new Dell X30 have more memory than the T3?

My kids tossed my 4 month old HP 2215 in the garbage by mistake which I am
still recovering from =(
Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Best,

Jack Barrett
RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

More about : palm dell axim x30

August 1, 2004 6:40:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:35:59 GMT, "Jack Barrett"
<jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>My kids tossed my 4 month old HP 2215 in the garbage by mistake which I am
>still recovering from =(
>Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
>
>Best,
>
>Jack Barrett
>RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
>Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Maybe your kids are smarter than you are!! hehehe After all, the
garbage is where the HP belongs.
August 1, 2004 7:00:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've owned my X30 for about 5 days now and haven't had any problems. I like
it so far. It's fast and does all the things the reviewers said it would do.

However, one must always remember that Dell has HORRIBLE customer service,
which I didn't learn until after I made my purchase. You may want to think
about that and the fact that it takes about three weeks to get once you
place the order.

"Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
news:p s5Pc.1539$by2.763@news02.roc.ny...
> I am going to buy a new handheld ..... not sure what to buy for the long
> haul.
> I have several questions which I hope you folks can help me with!
>
> 1. Is Palm coming out with anything soon to replace the T3? New OS?
> 2. Does the new Dell X30 have more memory than the T3?
>
> My kids tossed my 4 month old HP 2215 in the garbage by mistake which I am
> still recovering from =(
> Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
>
> Best,
>
> Jack Barrett
> RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
> Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

August 1, 2004 8:50:42 PM

"Jack" <jackj1@{/remove/}adelphia.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:35:59 GMT, "Jack Barrett"
> <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote:
>

> >My kids tossed my 4 month old HP 2215 in the garbage by mistake which I
am
> >still recovering from =(
> >Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
> >
> >Best,
> >
> >Jack Barrett
> >RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
> >Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
>
> Maybe your kids are smarter than you are!! hehehe After all, the
> garbage is where the HP belongs.

You mixed up the word HP with PALM.......good thing I noticed it :) ))
August 1, 2004 9:25:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:35:59 GMT, "Jack Barrett"
<jack4450@frontiernet.net> waived the right to be silent and
professed:

>2. Does the new Dell X30 have more memory than the T3?

Doesn`t matter if the Dell has 10 times the memory if the OS it runs
is bloated and inefficient.

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote in message news:<Ps5Pc.1539$by2.763@news02.roc.ny>...
> I am going to buy a new handheld ..... not sure what to buy for the long
> haul.
> I have several questions which I hope you folks can help me with!
>
> 1. Is Palm coming out with anything soon to replace the T3? New OS?
> 2. Does the new Dell X30 have more memory than the T3?
>
> My kids tossed my 4 month old HP 2215 in the garbage by mistake which I am
> still recovering from =(
> Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
>
> Best,
>
> Jack Barrett
> RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
> Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

The hardware is one thing; unless you have a specific requirement
hardware is neither here or there. What really matters and makes a
difference though is the software, and here you may want to decide for
yourself whether you prefer palm or PPC.

I am using an h2210 and managed to get it working and live with it.
It's mainly the fact that it has user replaceable battery that won me
over. Of course, I'm using the 3600mah one. The simplicity, elegance,
and reliability of the palm software and its third-party apps, such as
datebk5.1, phonemagic, diddlebug, bonsai, shadow, progect, daynotez,
handyshopper, mcphling... etc is something that you'd have to witness
to truly appreciate.

That said, I'm now using pocketinformant and listpro, with the
integrated word and excel and generally managing okay.
August 1, 2004 11:08:36 PM

"JD" <news@news.com> wrote in message news:<_z7Pc.5023$cK.3226@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...

> However, one must always remember that Dell has HORRIBLE customer service,

LOL, and PalmOne supposedly has a great customer service?
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 8:03:39 AM

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:35:59 GMT, "Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net>
spewed forth these words of wisdom:

>I am going to buy a new handheld ..... not sure what to buy for the long
>haul.
>I have several questions which I hope you folks can help me with!
>
>1. Is Palm coming out with anything soon to replace the T3? New OS?
>2. Does the new Dell X30 have more memory than the T3?
>
>My kids tossed my 4 month old HP 2215 in the garbage by mistake which I am
>still recovering from =(
>Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
>
>Best,
>
>Jack Barrett
>RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
>Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

I predict the T|4, running Cobalt, will be out by the end of the year. It's
anyone's guess as to what the feature list will consist of.

Galley
Anonymous
August 2, 2004 4:21:34 PM

Bruno wrote:
> Doesn`t matter if the Dell has 10 times the memory if the OS it runs
> is bloated and inefficient.
Maybe wince is bloated, but palmos is getting worse as well. The first
versions had a very small footprint which was fine, since the os was
designed for a very specific hardware and applications were written for
this specific hardware.

Now with the plenty variations of palmos and its hardware, the simplicity of
palmos leaves many things to the application. The application has to care
about screen resultions, color depths, installed sound hardware, the
gazillions of different hard button layouts etc. You might want to take a
look into a bluetooth enabled palm application. A huge part of the
bluetooth events are not handled by the operating system but by the
application. I have written the same bluetooth functionality with palmos
and linux/bluez and the palmos source code got more than 10 times larger.

And palmos is still growing with lots of APIs being replaced by incompatible
new ones etc. (the OS6 bluetooth layer will be completely incompatible with
the one of OS4 and OS5 says palmone). A palm nowadays already comes with
e.g. the "serial manager" and the "new serial manager", both are for rs232
support.

Another example: Try to setup a new wlan/bluetooth network connection. All
the network support is built on top of the old palmos concept of
differentiating between connections and networking. Instead of allowing
users to just select the wlan or bluetooth network they'd like to use (both
network types can easily be autodetected) you have to first setup a new
connection using plenty of "screen taps" and then create a new network
setup to use your new connection. You have to manually enter a connection
and network name. The whole setup takes about a minute. And when you're
done with this network (since you are e.g. in some internet cafe) it's
still there, filling up the connection and network dialogs. This is
nonsense and it's all due to palmos' simplicity. PalmOS even allows you to
change the bitrate and flow control of a bluetooth network connection,
which is completely nonsense (and fortunately does not have any effect at
all, especially not on the bluetooth datarate and flow control).

I once was a fan of palmos' simplicity, but it just doesn't work anymore.

Till

--
Dr.-Ing. Till Harbaum Tel.: +49 721 4998963
BeeCon GmbH Fax: +49 721 4998962

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <Ps5Pc.1539$by2.763@news02.roc.ny>, Jack Barrett
<jack4450@frontiernet.net> writes
>I am going to buy a new handheld ..... not sure what to buy for the long
>haul.
>I have several questions which I hope you folks can help me with!
>
>1. Is Palm coming out with anything soon to replace the T3? New OS?
>2. Does the new Dell X30 have more memory than the T3?

There are always going to be newer and better things to come - the
better is the enemy of the good. How long can you wait? or if you can
wait, do you need a PDA at all?

Size of memory is not very relevant, as the PalmOS uses it more
efficiently. In any case a card is cheaper than the difference between
models (particularly as the T3 is not being discounted).

What do you want to run, and does it come in both versions. I use
spreadsheets a lot, and the ability to move from portrait to landscape
at will is, for me, the best thing about the T3 - why no-one else has
copied it I do not know. But your needs may be quite different - you
may need longer battery life to the exclusion of any other facility (and
the T3 is not good, although I have no knowledge of its competitors).
--
Neville
Anonymous

In message <JPno1CBNwrDBFwWd@najoseph.demon.co.uk>, Neville
<naj@najoseph.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <Ps5Pc.1539$by2.763@news02.roc.ny>, Jack Barrett
> <jack4450@frontiernet.net> writes
> >I am going to buy a new handheld ..... not sure what to buy for the long
> >haul.
> >I have several questions which I hope you folks can help me with!
> >
> >1. Is Palm coming out with anything soon to replace the T3? New OS?
> >2. Does the new Dell X30 have more memory than the T3?
> >
> There are always going to be newer and better things to come - the
> better is the enemy of the good. How long can you wait? or if you can
> wait, do you need a PDA at all?
>
> Size of memory is not very relevant, as the PalmOS uses it more
> efficiently. In any case a card is cheaper than the difference between
> models (particularly as the T3 is not being discounted).
>
> What do you want to run, and does it come in both versions. I use
> spreadsheets a lot, and the ability to move from portrait to landscape
> at will is, for me, the best thing about the T3 - why no-one else has
> copied it I do not know. But your needs may be quite different - you
> may need longer battery life to the exclusion of any other facility (and
> the T3 is not good, although I have no knowledge of its competitors).
> --
> Neville

I have both the T3 and X30 High and the X30 running Second Edition can also
now switch between portrait and landscape on the fly. I set the left hardware
button for the switch and it works great! The T3 battery life is bad and
the battery is not replaceable. I bought a Mugen 2000 mAh battery for my X30
and can go hours, even with WiFi running. I would recommend the X30 High that
you can find for about $300 with coupons.

Matt

-Posted from my MDA II via the T-Moble network.
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 10:22:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Buy a Tapwave Zodiac www.tapwave.com

!