DIY question: Bass ackwards electronic crossover

Last response: in Home Audio
April 14, 2004 9:16:25 AM

Any DIY'ers out there? I am looking for a circuit that works like a
backwards electronic crossover -- it takes two inputs and blends the
highs from one input with the lows from the other input. A crossover
frequency knob would be nice. Any ideas?
April 14, 2004 7:22:17 PM

Detector195 wrote:
> Any DIY'ers out there? I am looking for a circuit that works like a
> backwards electronic crossover -- it takes two inputs and blends the
> highs from one input with the lows from the other input. A crossover
> frequency knob would be nice. Any ideas?

It is easy to accomplish if the slope of the combiner is 6dB/octave. But
also higher orders are possible with special circuitry. I could easily make
up a schematic with even adjustable xover points. The filters are identical
to normal x-over filters exept the outputs are summed instead of common
inputs. Tell us what u want to accomplish.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 05:16:25 GMT, Detector195@yahoo.com (Detector195)
wrote:

>Any DIY'ers out there? I am looking for a circuit that works like a
>backwards electronic crossover -- it takes two inputs and blends the
>highs from one input with the lows from the other input. A crossover
>frequency knob would be nice. Any ideas?

Let's see. Are your sources already separated into highs and lows? If
so, all you need do is sum them. If not, you build two half
crossovers (or split one into its HP and LP sections) and feed one
source into each; then you sum the outputs.

Kal
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 8:56:00 PM

You will find schematics with interactive filterdesign software on the Texas
Instruments website -- www.ti.com enter "FilterPro" into the search
engine -- this is a really great design tool which you should have on your
desktop. The TI tool is a little more helpful than --

Also at Analog Devices --

http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/static/techsupport/de...

the latter tool relies on being on Analog's site while you work. Thus, one
you download, the other you work with online.

You can also use the filter software at Linear Devices website, but this
relies on the Linear switched capacitor filters -- handy devices but I don't
know if anyone would use them in highend audio.

Jack

"Detector195" <Detector195@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Any DIY'ers out there? I am looking for a circuit that works like a
> backwards electronic crossover -- it takes two inputs and blends the
> highs from one input with the lows from the other input. A crossover
> frequency knob would be nice. Any ideas?

April 14, 2004 9:57:48 PM

D,
A simple mixer circuit such as
(http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/mixer2.htm) will work fine as long as the
phase on one input has not been reversed.

- Dyslexics of America Untie! keithw...

"Detector195" <Detector195@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Any DIY'ers out there? I am looking for a circuit that works like a
> backwards electronic crossover -- it takes two inputs and blends the
> highs from one input with the lows from the other input. A crossover
> frequency knob would be nice. Any ideas?

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 7:39:13 AM

"John Walton" <jdwalton@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<c5jqf00drf@news3.newsguy.com>...
> You will find schematics with interactive filterdesign software on the Texas
> Instruments website -- www.ti.com enter "FilterPro" into the search
> engine -- this is a really great design tool which you should have on your
> desktop. The TI tool is a little more helpful than --
>
> Also at Analog Devices --
>
> http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/static/techsupport/de...
>
> the latter tool relies on being on Analog's site while you work. Thus, one
> you download, the other you work with online.
>
> You can also use the filter software at Linear Devices website, but this
> relies on the Linear switched capacitor filters -- handy devices but I don't
> know if anyone would use them in highend audio.
>
> Jack
> Its called a mixer, and you can get a dandy low noise one for not very
much money. But what is the application? you can use the mixer inputs to
individually blend two sources low and high together or two microphones.
a frequency knob would be on the electronic crossover component, not the
mixer. Some mixers will have a dandy parametric EQ for each input with
adjustable frequency crossover point.

If you want to divide a single source into lows and highs, then mix
them back together, its done with those two units. This has been done for
signal process in recording studios.

> "Detector195" <Detector195@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Any DIY'ers out there? I am looking for a circuit that works like a
> > backwards electronic crossover -- it takes two inputs and blends the
> > highs from one input with the lows from the other input. A crossover
> > frequency knob would be nice. Any ideas?

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 7:49:51 AM

"Keithw" <keithw@kc.rr.com> wrote in message news:<wYefc.134352$gA5.1576312@attbi_s03>...
> D,
> A simple mixer circuit such as
> (http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/mixer2.htm) will work fine as long as the
> phase on one input has not been reversed.
>
> - Dyslexics of America Untie! keithw...
>
> "Detector195" <Detector195@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Any DIY'ers out there? I am looking for a circuit that works like a
> > backwards electronic crossover -- it takes two inputs and blends the
> > highs from one input with the lows from the other input. A crossover
> > frequency knob would be nice. Any ideas?

Thanks for the many useful tips. Actually, I realized that I have
gotten a bit ahead of myself, and I can do some feasibility testing
with simply a two channel graphic EQ.
!