PC, Radio Broadcast ...Over Hi-End Audio System

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
April 17, 2004 8:12:45 AM

Hi,

I have a dilemma and I hope you could help me to resolve it.

I would like to listen to a digital radio-internet broadcast through my main
speakers.

Is there a way to connect my computer, either laptop or desktop, to my
preamp -B&K Reference 50 - in a method that the signal is transferred
digitally? If yes, would the preamp able to decode that signal (...I think
is is SureStream)?

Please, suggestions are welcome, thank you.

Alb
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 9:53:57 PM

On 4/17/04 12:12 AM, in article c5qart02of4@news2.newsguy.com, "Al"
<afriedman2@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dilemma and I hope you could help me to resolve it.
>
> I would like to listen to a digital radio-internet broadcast through my main
> speakers.
>
> Is there a way to connect my computer, either laptop or desktop, to my
> preamp -B&K Reference 50 - in a method that the signal is transferred
> digitally? If yes, would the preamp able to decode that signal (...I think
> is is SureStream)?
>
> Please, suggestions are welcome, thank you.

I have only done it an analog (I have a line out) - I can't think of a way
to do it - what digital signals does your B&K Ref 50 decode?
April 18, 2004 7:50:04 AM

> I have only done it an analog (I have a line out) - I can't think of a way
> to do it - what digital signals does your B&K Ref 50 decode?

.....I have no idea. The manual that comes with it doesn't help much. I think
I'll go throught analog route like yours, it seems esier.
It's fantastic, thou, to be able to listen to radio stations so far away
from you over the internet.
I'm just trying to limit the degradation of the audio signal.
Thank you for your reply.
April 18, 2004 11:48:24 AM

"Al" <afriedman2@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a dilemma and I hope you could help me to resolve it.
>
> I would like to listen to a digital radio-internet broadcast through my
main
> speakers.
>
> Is there a way to connect my computer, either laptop or desktop, to my
> preamp -B&K Reference 50 - in a method that the signal is transferred
> digitally? If yes, would the preamp able to decode that signal (...I
think
> is is SureStream)?
>
> Please, suggestions are welcome, thank you.

Check out the Audiotron from Turtle Beach at
http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron/. It is an internet
device that functions as a web-radio "receiver" and decoder that fits into
your system like any other analog device. As soon as a wireless version is
available I'll own one. Perfect for the second "background music" system in
the living room. Cue up one of the shoutcast stations and away you go.
April 18, 2004 7:26:37 PM

In article <c5qart02of4@news2.newsguy.com>,
"Al" <afriedman2@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to connect my computer, either laptop or desktop, to my
> preamp -B&K Reference 50 - in a method that the signal is transferred
> digitally?

Slim Devices' Squeezebox, Roku Labs' devices, the MacSense Homepod
(despite the name, not Mac-only), and Turtle Beach's Audiotron have
optical (TOSLINK) and coax digital (S/PDIF) connections and work on
both Windows and Macintosh.

El Gato's EyeHome is Mac-only and offers both digital and analog
connections.

The LinkSys Wireless Media Adapter WMA11B is Windows-only and
analog-only.

I've been looking at these devices because I like listening to
Internet radio, but would prefer to listen at times away from the
computer. Some advice:

- make sure the device can handle Internet radio. Some can't. Some
interface better with certain formats (Shoutcast, iTunes [not really a
format but an interface]).

- None of them will handle audio formats which are "protected" (like
iTunes' DRM AAC; I think WMA may have a similar protection format).

- some of these devices require you control them through a TV. What a
pain to switch on the TV to change a "station" or select an MPx
playlist! Maybe that's no issue for you, but I usually have the TV on
only when I'm watching _it_.

- Want wireless? Some devices can handle it, some can't. None do
better than 802.11b right now. Not that that's a sonic limitation --
"b" carries enough information. But I would prefer not bogging down my
802.11g network with a "b" device.

I really want to do this, but the price of admission is, IMHO, still a
little high. For what it would cost to buy any of these boxes, you
could put an XM or Sirius decoder in your house _and_ car and listen
to satellite radio almost anywhere. I still have to think about that.

sd
!