Can you train Parry up on a Paladin?

I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin. I
have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry gain.
He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should be?
:)

> >I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin. I
> >have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry gain.
> >He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should
be?

> I'm going to say this, and probably come off as a bit of a smart ass, but
i've
> had bigger brain farts myself, so don't feel insulted. :)
>
> Do you have parry set to raise?

Yep :)

> For parry, you can go the cheap route and get 8-9 sheep to attack you for
> hours, all you need is a shield(bring a couple) and a weapon of some
sort(i've
> read that people don't gain off sheep w/o a weapon equipped), and having
70
> physical resist prevents taking any damage. Pretty sure i read that you
can GM
> parrying just getting pecked by sheep...

Sheep die to fast even weaponless.

> Oh, and there's currently a bug with parry skill gains, i think it sticks
at
> 29.5 or something when you try to train it from zero. The only way i've
heard
> to get past it is to go train the skill. The best place to do so is the
> Warrior's Guild near the arena in Jhelom, where you can get trained to
just
> above 32 skill, at which point you'll gain just fine.

I had it NPC trained to 30.7 thursday and found another trainer today who
brought it up to 31.4. Still no gains from combat or from the GGS setup
since making the character. I may just chuck the skill has bugged or maybe
re-make the character next thursday and try it again and see if the
character is just messed up somehow.

Being able to avoid 1/3 the hits from a dragon or ancient wyrm sounded nice.
Hopefully it starts going up. He's going to have GMed Healing and Anatomy
before he gets his first combat parry gain if this no-gain bit keeps up. <g>

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:24:29 GMT, "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Do you have parry set to raise?
>
>Yep :)

New chars have everything set to raise of course.

>Sheep die to fast even weaponless.

Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
have increased their combat skills too high. Kill them all and as new
sheep spawn attack them, but once again toggle out of combat before they
get close.

If you get tired of sheep, try getting 8-9 hinds south of Moonglow or in
Illshenar.

>I had it NPC trained to 30.7 thursday and found another trainer today who
>brought it up to 31.4. Still no gains from combat or from the GGS setup
>since making the character. I may just chuck the skill has bugged or maybe
>re-make the character next thursday and try it again and see if the
>character is just messed up somehow.

I just put on a couple +10 parry jewelry bits to get past that spot.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

archeon

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:24:29 GMT, "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Do you have parry set to raise?
> >
> >Yep :)
>
> New chars have everything set to raise of course.
>
> >Sheep die to fast even weaponless.
>
> Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
> distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
> weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
> with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
> have increased their combat skills too high.

The mind boggles... commando sheep?

Archeon

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:03:24 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
wrote:

>The mind boggles... commando sheep?

You never have watched those sheep on Fire Isle defeat demons, have you?

--

On 12 Jul 2004 03:45:59 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

>>You never have watched those sheep on Fire Isle defeat demons, have you?
>>

>I was playing around with a Bard/THunter on TC pub 25 earlier, was digging up a
>level 3 and after sicking the initial spawn on one another(ogre lord killed the
>other 3 of course...), a dread spider popped on a pull...with the peace'd OL
>having wandered off a bit, my only choice was to employ a cow that happened to
>stroll by.
>The cow actually managed to get the dread spider down to 1/3 of it's hps before
>the spider woke up and FS'd the brave heffer.
>
>I think cows lead dual lives, seeing as they spawn with higher fame than a
>newbie...

It's from the secret Cow level.

--

Archeon wrote:

>>Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
>>distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
>>weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
>>with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
>>have increased their combat skills too high.
>

> The mind boggles... commando sheep?
>
> Archeon

"I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"
<windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

>Archeon wrote:
>
>>>Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
>>>distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
>>>weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
>>>with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
>>>have increased their combat skills too high.
>>

>> The mind boggles... commando sheep?
>>
>> Archeon
>>

> "I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."

I suggest naming your new character Wallace, before abusing sheep in this
manner. Or perhaps Nick Park.

--

Polychromic wrote:

>> "I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."
>

> I suggest naming your new character Wallace, before abusing sheep in this
> manner. Or perhaps Nick Park.

*-ZING!-* Sorry, that went right over the top.

--

> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:03:24 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
> wrote:
>
> >The mind boggles... commando sheep?
>
> You never have watched those sheep on Fire Isle defeat demons, have you?
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Remember... the fleece will be with you- always

Archeon

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:43:50 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"
<windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

>Polychromic wrote:
>
>>> "I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."
>>

>> I suggest naming your new character Wallace, before abusing sheep in this
>> manner. Or perhaps Nick Park.
>>

>*-ZING!-* Sorry, that went right over the top.

You're unfamiliar with Nick Park's work? The Wallace and Gromit
claymation films? Besides the dog Gromit and his human Wallace, sheep
often figure prominently in the sketches.

Probably I should use a Serta mattress reference next time.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

*snip*

> 50-70 Troll time!
> Why does everyone hate Wishniks so much?
> Just wander the overworld, fight trolls where you find them...i haven't really
> found a great troll spawn, if anyone knows one, feel free to pitch in.
Despise level 3 just before the small path down to the ogre lord area
there is a LOT of trolls.

/ZW

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:23:40 +0200, ZoombyWoof
<zoombywoofremove@thishotmail.com> wrote:

>*snip*
>>
>> 50-70 Troll time!
>> Why does everyone hate Wishniks so much?
>> Just wander the overworld, fight trolls where you find them...i haven't really
>> found a great troll spawn, if anyone knows one, feel free to pitch in.
>Despise level 3 just before the small path down to the ogre lord area
>there is a LOT of trolls.

In Illshenar by the Spider Cave is a forest full of giant spiders, reapers
and trolls.

--

On 13 Jul 2004 18:27:16 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

>>In Illshenar by the Spider Cave is a forest full of giant spiders, reapers
>>and trolls.
>
>I'd completely forgotten about those...which is funny, since i've taken to
>walking from Compassion to the spider cave, rather than Spirituality, and pass
>the trolls every time...
>
>(To be honest, i'm more trying to catch Gargoyle Valley than head for the
>spiders, the amount of money you can get for a few hours killing gargs and
>collecting gems is staggering...which is probably why they're always camped.
>hehe)

There's a Gargoyle valley? I don't think I've run across it. Gargoyles
don't give me sword gains anymore but I still kill them near my house for
the occasional magic resist gain. Anyhow I'm doing black solen
infiltrators now. 250-300gp and 2 gems each. No stupid spitting acid
either.

--

"Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin. I
> have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry gain.
> He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should be?
> :)

....and now I give you patch 25!

Fixed low-level parry gain bug apparently :)

Archeon

"Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net> wrote in message

> "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin.
> > have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry
gain.
> > He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should
be?
> > :)
> >
> ...and now I give you patch 25!
>
> Fixed low-level parry gain bug apparently :)
>
> Archeon

So I saw :)

I first five all are spellslingers. One had been a Paladin but hadn't used
Parry. He had been building healing/anatomy. I haven't had a warrior type
with parry in years.

#6's template is:

Mace 100
Archery 110
Tac 100
Resist 85
Parry 100
Chivalry 100
Focus 80
Magery 40 (For casting Mark using scrolls)
An Lore 5
-----
720

> "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a
Paladin.
> > > have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry
> gain.
> > > He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should
> be?
> > > :)
> > >
> > ...and now I give you patch 25!
> >
> > Fixed low-level parry gain bug apparently :)
> >
> > Archeon
> >

> So I saw :)
>
> I first five all are spellslingers. One had been a Paladin but hadn't used
> Parry. He had been building healing/anatomy. I haven't had a warrior type
> with parry in years.
>
> #6's template is:
>
> Mace 100
> Archery 110
> Tac 100
> Resist 85
> Parry 100
> Chivalry 100
> Focus 80
> Magery 40 (For casting Mark using scrolls)
> An Lore 5
> -----
> 720

Parry's been great since AOS (I think that was when the last change
occurred). I did like the old distinction in what the shields did, but I
imagine it made life too complicated.
And GM resist is very worthwhile, if you can get someone else to mark, and
have a lot of patience to wait for it!!

Archeon