Can you train Parry up on a Paladin?

I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin. I
have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry gain.
He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should be?
:)
16 answers Last reply
More about train parry paladin
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    > >I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin. I
    > >have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry gain.
    > >He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should
    be?

    > I'm going to say this, and probably come off as a bit of a smart ass, but
    i've
    > had bigger brain farts myself, so don't feel insulted. :)
    >
    > Do you have parry set to raise?

    Yep :)

    > For parry, you can go the cheap route and get 8-9 sheep to attack you for
    > hours, all you need is a shield(bring a couple) and a weapon of some
    sort(i've
    > read that people don't gain off sheep w/o a weapon equipped), and having
    70
    > physical resist prevents taking any damage. Pretty sure i read that you
    can GM
    > parrying just getting pecked by sheep...

    Sheep die to fast even weaponless.

    > Oh, and there's currently a bug with parry skill gains, i think it sticks
    at
    > 29.5 or something when you try to train it from zero. The only way i've
    heard
    > to get past it is to go train the skill. The best place to do so is the
    > Warrior's Guild near the arena in Jhelom, where you can get trained to
    just
    > above 32 skill, at which point you'll gain just fine.

    I had it NPC trained to 30.7 thursday and found another trainer today who
    brought it up to 31.4. Still no gains from combat or from the GGS setup
    since making the character. I may just chuck the skill has bugged or maybe
    re-make the character next thursday and try it again and see if the
    character is just messed up somehow.

    Being able to avoid 1/3 the hits from a dragon or ancient wyrm sounded nice.
    Hopefully it starts going up. He's going to have GMed Healing and Anatomy
    before he gets his first combat parry gain if this no-gain bit keeps up. <g>

  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:24:29 GMT, "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> Do you have parry set to raise?
    >
    >Yep :)

    New chars have everything set to raise of course.

    >Sheep die to fast even weaponless.

    Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
    distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
    weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
    with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
    have increased their combat skills too high. Kill them all and as new
    sheep spawn attack them, but once again toggle out of combat before they
    get close.

    If you get tired of sheep, try getting 8-9 hinds south of Moonglow or in
    Illshenar.

    >I had it NPC trained to 30.7 thursday and found another trainer today who
    >brought it up to 31.4. Still no gains from combat or from the GGS setup
    >since making the character. I may just chuck the skill has bugged or maybe
    >re-make the character next thursday and try it again and see if the
    >character is just messed up somehow.

    I just put on a couple +10 parry jewelry bits to get past that spot.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    "Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:24:29 GMT, "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> Do you have parry set to raise?
    > >
    > >Yep :)
    >
    > New chars have everything set to raise of course.
    >
    > >Sheep die to fast even weaponless.
    >
    > Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
    > distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
    > weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
    > with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
    > have increased their combat skills too high.

    The mind boggles... commando sheep?

    Archeon
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:03:24 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
    wrote:

    >The mind boggles... commando sheep?

    You never have watched those sheep on Fire Isle defeat demons, have you?

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On 12 Jul 2004 03:45:59 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

    >>You never have watched those sheep on Fire Isle defeat demons, have you?
    >>

    >I was playing around with a Bard/THunter on TC pub 25 earlier, was digging up a
    >level 3 and after sicking the initial spawn on one another(ogre lord killed the
    >other 3 of course...), a dread spider popped on a pull...with the peace'd OL
    >having wandered off a bit, my only choice was to employ a cow that happened to
    >stroll by.
    >The cow actually managed to get the dread spider down to 1/3 of it's hps before
    >the spider woke up and FS'd the brave heffer.
    >
    >I think cows lead dual lives, seeing as they spawn with higher fame than a
    >newbie...

    It's from the secret Cow level.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Archeon wrote:

    >>Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
    >>distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
    >>weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
    >>with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
    >>have increased their combat skills too high.
    >

    > The mind boggles... commando sheep?
    >
    > Archeon

    "I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."

    --
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 05:44:01 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"
    <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

    >Archeon wrote:
    >
    >>>Go to the sheep pen in Yew. Toggle on war mode, attack the sheep from a
    >>>distance, before they get close toggle out of war mode. You can keep your
    >>>weapon in hand but out of war mode, you won't kill them. After training
    >>>with 8-9 sheep for a while and you quit gaining, it is because the sheep
    >>>have increased their combat skills too high.
    >>

    >> The mind boggles... commando sheep?
    >>
    >> Archeon
    >>

    > "I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."

    I suggest naming your new character Wallace, before abusing sheep in this
    manner. Or perhaps Nick Park.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Polychromic wrote:

    >> "I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."
    >

    > I suggest naming your new character Wallace, before abusing sheep in this
    > manner. Or perhaps Nick Park.

    *-ZING!-* Sorry, that went right over the top.

    --
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:03:24 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The mind boggles... commando sheep?
    >
    > You never have watched those sheep on Fire Isle defeat demons, have you?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Cecil
    > http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Remember... the fleece will be with you- always

    Archeon
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:43:50 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"
    <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

    >Polychromic wrote:
    >
    >>> "I'll be baa-aa-aa-aa-aack..."
    >>

    >> I suggest naming your new character Wallace, before abusing sheep in this
    >> manner. Or perhaps Nick Park.
    >>

    >*-ZING!-* Sorry, that went right over the top.

    You're unfamiliar with Nick Park's work? The Wallace and Gromit
    claymation films? Besides the dog Gromit and his human Wallace, sheep
    often figure prominently in the sketches.

    Probably I should use a Serta mattress reference next time.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    *snip*

    > 50-70 Troll time!
    > Why does everyone hate Wishniks so much?
    > Just wander the overworld, fight trolls where you find them...i haven't really
    > found a great troll spawn, if anyone knows one, feel free to pitch in.
    Despise level 3 just before the small path down to the ogre lord area
    there is a LOT of trolls.

    /ZW
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 12:23:40 +0200, ZoombyWoof
    <zoombywoofremove@thishotmail.com> wrote:

    >*snip*
    >>
    >> 50-70 Troll time!
    >> Why does everyone hate Wishniks so much?
    >> Just wander the overworld, fight trolls where you find them...i haven't really
    >> found a great troll spawn, if anyone knows one, feel free to pitch in.
    >Despise level 3 just before the small path down to the ogre lord area
    >there is a LOT of trolls.

    In Illshenar by the Spider Cave is a forest full of giant spiders, reapers
    and trolls.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On 13 Jul 2004 18:27:16 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

    >>In Illshenar by the Spider Cave is a forest full of giant spiders, reapers
    >>and trolls.
    >
    >I'd completely forgotten about those...which is funny, since i've taken to
    >walking from Compassion to the spider cave, rather than Spirituality, and pass
    >the trolls every time...
    >
    >(To be honest, i'm more trying to catch Gargoyle Valley than head for the
    >spiders, the amount of money you can get for a few hours killing gargs and
    >collecting gems is staggering...which is probably why they're always camped.
    >hehe)

    There's a Gargoyle valley? I don't think I've run across it. Gargoyles
    don't give me sword gains anymore but I still kill them near my house for
    the occasional magic resist gain. Anyhow I'm doing black solen
    infiltrators now. 250-300gp and 2 gems each. No stupid spitting acid
    either.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin. I
    > have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry gain.
    > He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should be?
    > :)

    ....and now I give you patch 25!

    Fixed low-level parry gain bug apparently :)

    Archeon
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net> wrote in message

    > "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a Paladin.
    > > have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry
    gain.
    > > He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should
    be?
    > > :)
    > >
    > ...and now I give you patch 25!
    >
    > Fixed low-level parry gain bug apparently :)
    >
    > Archeon

    So I saw :)

    I first five all are spellslingers. One had been a Paladin but hadn't used
    Parry. He had been building healing/anatomy. I haven't had a warrior type
    with parry in years.

    #6's template is:

    Mace 100
    Archery 110
    Tac 100
    Resist 85
    Parry 100
    Chivalry 100
    Focus 80
    Magery 40 (For casting Mark using scrolls)
    An Lore 5
    -----
    720
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    > "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I picked up the 7th Anniversary Edition thursday and made up a
    Paladin.
    > > > have tried animals from chickens to ogres & harpies without a Parry
    > gain.
    > > > He's using a verite metal kite shield. What am not doing that I should
    > be?
    > > > :)
    > > >
    > > ...and now I give you patch 25!
    > >
    > > Fixed low-level parry gain bug apparently :)
    > >
    > > Archeon
    > >

    > So I saw :)
    >
    > I first five all are spellslingers. One had been a Paladin but hadn't used
    > Parry. He had been building healing/anatomy. I haven't had a warrior type
    > with parry in years.
    >
    > #6's template is:
    >
    > Mace 100
    > Archery 110
    > Tac 100
    > Resist 85
    > Parry 100
    > Chivalry 100
    > Focus 80
    > Magery 40 (For casting Mark using scrolls)
    > An Lore 5
    > -----
    > 720

    Parry's been great since AOS (I think that was when the last change
    occurred). I did like the old distinction in what the shields did, but I
    imagine it made life too complicated.
    And GM resist is very worthwhile, if you can get someone else to mark, and
    have a lot of patience to wait for it!!

    Archeon

Computers Games Video Games