A couple n00b questions =(

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Hi guys just wondering about some stuff I've noticed on intel boards (not sure if it would be the same on others or not).

1).
"When using an 800MHz FSB CPU, DDR333 memory is clocked at 320MHz. This minimizes system latencies to optimize system performance."

What's the idea behind this? I'm confused =\

2)
I've put 2 sticks of pc2100 ram in a d865perl board (latest bios update and all that jaz) along with a 3.0GHz, 800MHz FSB.
The bios said it was hyperthreading (or atleast it was remained enabled) and it said my ram was running at 320Mhz.
Now, would it be lying and not running HT, and really running the ram at 266MHz (I thought you need 333MHz ram to HT), or is it just going to burn my ram because it is indeed running at a higher freq?

Tnx for the input guys, much appricated!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1) It's a lie. The REAL reason your DDR333 runs at "320MHz" is because the RAM operates at a fixed ratio of the CPU bus. In this case, the CPU bus is 200MHz (Quad Data Rate multiplies the transfers x4). And the RAM is operating at 4/5 that speed, 160MHz (Double Data Rate multiplies the transfers x2). So the fact it's operating at a slightly slower than rated speed is simply a matter of how the system works.

Of course, DDR400 would be a better choice, operating at a 1:1 ratio.

2) You really should be running DDR400. If you're running your PC2100 at 320MHz, it's heavily overclocked.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
They lied, read my response to the original question.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Tnx for the clerification =)

Wusy:
<A HREF="http://ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/p12-0069.pdf" target="_new">http://ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/p12-0069.pdf</A>
Check this out if you wanted to see the official documentation on that..., first page, second heading.

Truthfully I didn't buy the ram, it's actually not my comp at all... :)
It was one a friend wanted me to build, and I grew weary of his "o/c'd" ram, lol!

DDR 400 is expensive =(.
The only deal I can get is to get the Kingston "value ram" from work, and I'm not so sure that it is the best for using w/dual-channel.

TRENDING THREADS