Sign in with
Your question

Need Help 2gbyte+ system memory

Last response: in Memory
November 8, 2003 10:04:33 PM

I just finished putting my computer together. Everything seems to be great except I got this message using sisoft sandra :

"Large memory systems (1GB or greater) should use Registered/Buffered memory, especially if more than 2 are installed on the same channel. This improves signal quality by reducing the load on the chipset channel. While these modules add an extra clock delay due to the on-board buffers (thus CL2 effectively becomes CL3), the stability will be worth it. Server chipsets with many memory slots generally require Registered memory."

I then got a similiar msg saying I should be using ECC/parity memory as well.

For now I have installed 2 , TwinX1024-3200LL units. (512MB x 4). With the warning I got above I decided maybe I should have bought the Twinx1024RE units. Same basic modules except they are reg. and ECC. Then I notice on the Asus P4C800-E manual this information :

....4GB system memory using 184-pin Unbuffered ECC or Non-ECC PC3200.....PC2100 DDR DIMMs....

If I understand this correctly I can use ECC but not if its buffered. I also am under the assumption that Buffered = Registered. Something that I never knew before.

Sorry for so much background story but the question I cant figure out is
1) Do I just ignore the "tip" from sisoft
2) Should I go and try to find some ECC ram thats Unbuffered solving half of the complaint from sisoft
3) Should I find a new M/B that will allow ECC/Reg memory?

The computer is used primarly as a HTPC.

More about : 2gbyte system memory

a b } Memory
November 9, 2003 12:56:55 AM

I'd ignore the warning as long as your system is stable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!