raid a good upgrade?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2003 3:58:44 PM

HI,
first off i like to get the best preformance for my money... or i try:D , so i was wondering if geting a raid system in my computer would be worth the money for the preformance boost.
im currently running,
K7s5a mobo
1GB 2100 ram,
2400 XP
ti4200
one 40GB ata100 harddrive,

if i get the Adaptec Scsi Card 1200 ATA Raid controler card and another 40GB ata100 hardrive, then set them up in raid 0, for just over $150 canadian would that be worth it? or would i be better off buything somthing else. I use the system for video editing, gameing, music, image editing.

THanks for the Help!

Poor mans surround sound all the way!

More about : raid good upgrade

November 10, 2003 8:28:41 PM

Buy a better sound card and good set of speakers. You will get alot more out of them.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!
November 11, 2003 10:09:27 AM

Well, I can hardly tell you how much your money is worth to you. But I'd say you'd gain almost as much performance by just buying a new harddisk (separate your system files from temp files from data files from video projects etc)

Another thing, you mention a Adaptec SCSI blah ATA RAID controller. Its either SCSI or ATA, not both. You need an ATA controller, not SCSI. (well I don't know this adaptec thing, but if its both scsi and ata you'd better look for something cheaper)

yet another thing, a 40GB drive is only a little cheaper than a larger drive. Newer (and larger) drives are also faster. So if you're going to RAID I suggest you buy 2 new fast drives and use your current as backup.

And yet another another thing (the final one): if you're going to implement Raid 0 (for performance) you should realise that you make your system very vulnerable to hdd crashes.