Sign in with
Your question

Additional Raptor question

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2003 9:41:41 PM

Alright, I posted earlier with questions about an upgrade...but this is a revision due to the lack of availability of the 74GB Raptor. I will utilize dual 36.7GB Raptors in a RAID0 config. I plan to use the Promise S150 TX2+. I will utilize 6 total HDDs, 1 external, 2 on the SATA channels of the PCI card, 2 on the IDE PCI, 1 on the motherboard channel and 1 zip drive on the other port of that same motherboard channel (I have two mobo channels, my main HDD channel--ATA/100 and one that is only ATA/66, which I use for my 2 optical devices).

I know I will be using the two SATA ports (unless there is a card that supports 4 SATA ports and 1+ IDE channels as well as RAID--if there is tell me). Now here's my plan.

I have two 80GB drives, one 120GB drive, and will be getting one 250GB drive (yes, I have that much to store, most is music/movies/server, I also do a lot of video editing, content creation, photoshop, etc) and performance is an issue. I run two partitions (one for daily usage, another VERY CLEAN one for gaming and video encoding and whatever else REALLY needs processor) and I would like place the pagefile for both of them on the beginning of one of the 80GBs (not necessary, however, since the raptors are fast enough). What arrangement would you recommend with the drives for best performance (figure that the 120 will most likely be external and the second 80 will be for network server [occasional access], leaving the 250 for performance storage). Would placing the 80s on the PCI channel work well for performance? Or should I place the 250 and an 80 (don't know which one) on the PCI channel? I already have a sound card and my firewire card for my external drive on the PCI bus, so bandwidth may become an issue.

Also, can the card I have listed even support having a RAID0 config side-by-side a JBOD config???

Sorry if this is confusing...but I do respect all of your input.

Damn Rambus.
November 11, 2003 9:04:35 AM

Do I understand correctly that you have 2 onboard IDE controllers (= 4 channels = 8 drives)?

If so, just make each drive master on its own channel. Doesn't really matter which drive to which channel, though the fastest drive on the fastest channel is always a good idea.
Now, if you're going to RAID or JBOD drives, all those drives must be connected to the same controller. (Unless you use software RAID, which is part of Windows)

The Promise controller supports JBOD (although I can't imagine why you'd want to). It should be able to use any type of array side-by-side (the only limitation that I know of is that it wont support Raid1 between SATA pATA)

With this setup you *could* saturate the PCI bus. This can't be helped easily, the mobo IDE channels are internally connected to the PCI bus.
However, you'd need to start 3 (large) filecopys at the same time on 3 different source drives to 3 other different destination drives to get it saturated.

Promise
> SATA0 -> Raptor
> SATA1 -> Raptor
> IDE0/Master -> 250GB
> IDE0/Slave
Mobo
> IDE0/M -> 120GB
> IDE0/S
> IDE1/M -> 80GB
> IDE1/S
> IDE2/M ATAPI (CD/DVD)
> IDE2/S
> IDE3/M ATAPI (CD/DVD)
> IDE3/S
> USB/FIREWIRE 80G
November 11, 2003 1:02:05 PM

I only have 2 IDE channels...and one is already used by optical devices. Sorry if that was confusing...it would really make it easier if I had that many...but I don't. So here's what I am thinking:

Promise
> SATA0 -> Raptor RAIDED, partitioned
> SATA1 -> Raptor RAIDED, partitioned
> IDE0/Master -> 80GB server
> IDE0/Slave -> 80GB ghosts/backups
Mobo
> IDE0/M -> 250GB storage
> IDE0/S -> ZIP
> IDE1/M -> ATAPI DVD
> IDE1/S -> ATAPI CD-RW
> USB/FIREWIRE 120G storage

Does this make sense?

Damn Rambus.
Related resources
November 11, 2003 2:57:58 PM

Seems ok to me.
The confusion was caused by the 2nd mobo channel being only ATA66 and the first channel being ATA100. Weird!

good luck with your update.
November 11, 2003 3:04:11 PM

Yeah, it is weird, I think Iwill tried to save some money knowing that people would mainly put ATAPI devices on it that don't need too much bandwidth. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Damn Rambus.
!