Sign in with
Your question

Win7 x64: Bluetooth adapter spontaneously disconnecting

Last response: in Technologies
November 8, 2010 4:58:22 PM

Hi all, I am having a strange problem with my Bluetooth on my laptop as outlined below:

Background: I have an ASUS G51JX laptop and running Win7 64-bit. I often pair it with my Nokia E71 via bluetooth and Nokia PC Suite.

Problem: However, the only way I can get it to work is after I restart. If I connect it shortly thereafter, then everything is fine and dandy. If not, then after a while, approx. 10 minutes, I hear the sound of a device disconnecting for no real reason (same sound as when disconnecting any other device). Then I can no longer connect it via bluetooth until I reboot.

Symptoms: The bluetooth icon disappears from the system tray, control panel, and device manager. When I attempt to install new drivers, the bluetooth adapter cannot be detected. It's as if it was physically disconnected.

Question: What can I do to make sure it doesn't disconnect on me spontaneously?

Any help would be really appreciated.
November 10, 2010 3:05:09 AM

Just for reference to others who may have the same problem in the future. After a good night's sleep, I wondered if it might be related to power management. I quickly went into the device manager and noted that it was checked on: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I unchecked it, and it has been working ever since.
m
l
!