Sign in with
Your question

DVD reading CDs but not DVDs

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2003 6:22:29 PM

This just happened a few days ago. I can read CDs in my Lite-On DVD player, but not DVDs. It just says, please insert DVD. Is this a common problem? This has not happened to me before.

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

More about : dvd reading cds dvds

November 12, 2003 1:25:25 AM

Go buy a new DVD player! No one wants to help you here.

November 17, 2003 2:12:02 AM

OK, so it can read CDs but not DVDs. Are DVDs harder to read? Is it logical that a semi-dirty lense could read CDs but not DVD? I really do not know, but this is supposed to be the place to seek knowledge about computer parts.

Should I post this question on the graphics cards forum... I am trying to test my ATI card to see how well it plays DVDs, and al of a sudden it will only read CDs... every time I put a DVD in it, it cannot find a disc...

Related resources
November 17, 2003 4:48:52 AM

"Are DVDs harder to read?"
Harder when it's dirty, probably. The pits & bumps, as well as the track pitch on DVD discs are quite a bit smaller compared to regular CDs, so precision is pretty important.

"Is it logical that a semi-dirty lense could read CDs but not DVD?"
Logically sure :) . Not a great answer I know, but it's better than nothing :D .

Your drive is either dirty, or broke if it can't read DVDs. It doesn't have anything to do with your video card. I guess you'll just have to get a new drive.

Hardcore movie, not for kids:
<A HREF="http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/featurette/" target="_new">movie</A>
November 20, 2003 4:24:22 PM

I know it has nothing to do with my video card; I was joking about puting this thread on the video card forum just to get people to read it. Out of integridy for the forum, I did not.

Thanks for responding.

How does one clean up the inside of a DVD drive? Any links to some advice on that? What part needs cleaning? Is there a special disk that can be inserted to clean it up?

November 20, 2003 11:20:36 PM

<b>"How does one clean up the inside of a DVD drive? Any links to some advice on that?"</b>
Several ways, one of the more common methods is by using cleaners, which has a disc that one has to enter into the drive, bought off the counter. Another way is by dismantling the drive itself, and using compressed air or something to blow the dust away.

<b>"What part needs cleaning?"</b>
Lense usually.

<b>"Is there a special disk that can be inserted to clean it up?"</b>
Yep :smile: . I don't think it'll always work though, the last one I tried didn't do squat for my old CD drive, which I later chucked away.

Good luck.

Hardcore movie, not for kids:
<A HREF="http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avp/featurette/" target="_new">movie</A>
November 21, 2003 6:27:19 PM

I bought a DVD/CD cleaning disc from Wallmart last night, and it did not do squat.
:( 

I have a year and a half old 16x Lite-on DVD bought retail from newegg--printed March 2002 on the box. Anyone have a clue if Lite-on DVD have a warrinty that long. If not, I will pry the sucker opn if I need to. But it does still work as a CD-Rom.

December 31, 2003 3:53:10 PM

From my experience, only a quality DVD ROM will read DVD's that I have burnt. In my desktop I have a 'cheap & nasty' (Matshita) DVD ROM which has never given me any problems until I wanted it to read my backup DVD's.

These same DVD's are read easily enough on my 'stand-alone' 'no-name' DVD player and on my Dell laptop. Therefore I am now currently looking for a 'quality' DVD ROM to put in the desktop.

Any suggestions, anyone??

marcustandy,

A Yorkshire Viking on tour!
December 31, 2003 7:28:31 PM

There is a probability that there may be nothing wrong with your DVD player.
It could be a software problem.

A friend of mine at work brought me his son's computer because the CD-RW and the DVD drives were not reading disks when WinXP Home was loaded. The drives were recognized in the BIOS and WinXP recognized the drives too.
However the BIOS would read bootable CD without any problems.
I couldn't pinpoint the problem. His son had ton of illegal games on the hard drive and other crap. Using add remove programs I uninstalled all the usesless crap that was on the hard drive and reinstalled WinXP (repair install). Defraged the hard drive after the repair install and deleted all the disassociated registry entries.
After that the CD-RW and DVD drives worked fine when Windows was running.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
!