Totally new to the game...advice wanted....

Last response: in Video Games
August 13, 2004 4:42:32 PM

Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.

Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the beginning?
What advice would you give to a totally new player?

I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
style of game, just UO itself.

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 10:48:33 PM

Very simple.

Since you bought the game new, you will have your "Young" tag still up.
Whatever you do, don't remove this, allow it to decay
over time.

Secondly, create a female toon, preferably blond and wear some skimpy
outfit. Make a couple female emotes like *giggles*, *smiles*, etc but do
not over do it.

Then run around town and follow these steps by a UO Veteran who made close
to 7 milllion gold and a free placed tower in just under 2 weeks.

Above all, have fun !...you may want to email Windsor to get more scamming
tips. He hangs out on Atlantic.

"John Strong" <angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
> expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
> before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
> but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>
> Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the
beginning?
> What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>
> I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
> style of game, just UO itself.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
August 13, 2004 10:48:34 PM

Asswipe troll wrote:

> Very simple.

First and formost, read NOTHING posted by this asswipe troll and
forward all his posts to abuse@comcast.net and know that The real
Reg LeCrisp resides on Sympatico in Canada.
August 14, 2004 1:52:17 AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:42:32 -0600, "John Strong"
<angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

>Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
>expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
>before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
>but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>
>Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the beginning?
>What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>
>I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
>style of game, just UO itself.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Well, pull up your skills gump and decide what you want to specialize in.
You'll want to have those skills marked up so they will increase. If
there is some useless skill you don't want, mark it down or you can lock
it at some level. You only have 700 or so skill points to spread around
but as a new character you might want to try out different things a bit
before deciding.

Personally, I usually start with a custom character with 50 resisting
spells and 50 magery, then develop combat skills (swords/fencing/mace) and
related skills (anatomy/healing/tactics) by fighting some easy creatures
(wolves/hinds/bears) near Moonglow.

Once I can defend myself a bit, I start specializing my skills toward
whatever type of character I want to create. I'll start going to
Illshenar through a moongate and fight ratmen or earth elementals or I'll
go find some black solen ants to fight.

I guess the question is, do you want to fight monster or craft items to
sell to other players?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:48:33 GMT, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote:

>Very simple.

<snip>

Ignore this troll. The real Reg doesn't post from 24.*.*.*

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:50:50 AM

you can craft items to sell to players in this game?

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:42:32 -0600, "John Strong"
> <angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
>>expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
>>before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
>>but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>>
>>Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the
>>beginning?
>>What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>>
>>I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
>>style of game, just UO itself.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>
> Well, pull up your skills gump and decide what you want to specialize in.
> You'll want to have those skills marked up so they will increase. If
> there is some useless skill you don't want, mark it down or you can lock
> it at some level. You only have 700 or so skill points to spread around
> but as a new character you might want to try out different things a bit
> before deciding.
>
> Personally, I usually start with a custom character with 50 resisting
> spells and 50 magery, then develop combat skills (swords/fencing/mace) and
> related skills (anatomy/healing/tactics) by fighting some easy creatures
> (wolves/hinds/bears) near Moonglow.
>
> Once I can defend myself a bit, I start specializing my skills toward
> whatever type of character I want to create. I'll start going to
> Illshenar through a moongate and fight ratmen or earth elementals or I'll
> go find some black solen ants to fight.
>
> I guess the question is, do you want to fight monster or craft items to
> sell to other players?
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:37:56 AM

"John Strong" <angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
> expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
> before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
> but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>
> Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the
beginning?
> What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>
> I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
> style of game, just UO itself.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've been in UO four years now. I suggest starting with a mage character to
have the travel spells and just wander the lands. There is a lot to do and
see in this game-world. In this game you have far more than the usual
kill-or-be-killed combat of most of the games out there. In UO you can be a
craftsman in several crafts, be an explorer, be a merchant prince, a street
beggar, a shepherd, or a crazed murderering killer ( on the Fel facet). You
have a wide range of options and can vary them if you want as time goes by.
if your in a mood to rock & roll, go hunting. If you want a more laid back
session, go foraging for lumber, ore for metal ingots, or for animal hides
and meats to use or sell. If your feeling *really* inclined to kick back and
be mellow, try hearding sheep. You can gather the wool to sell or make into
cloth to put some gold in your pockets if you want to bother with it. :)

I currently have six characters which are:

1) A craftsman with GM (Grandmaster 100 skill) Blacksmithing, Tailoring,
Tinkering, & Carpentry which lets him craft in all those fields plus make
all the combination craft items. He does the lumberjacking with about 60
skill and has 45 skill in music to make instruments. He is a grandmaster
Fletcher as well. For travel & combat he has 90 magery to let him travel,
summon creatures to defend him, and allow use of 'mage weapons' which
operate from the mage skill instead of a weapon skill. He's not worth much
in a real fight but anything he's likely to run into he can handle.

He supplies my crew with nearly all their gear and sells other stuff to
other players on vendors he has set up.

2) Is GM Inscription & Alchemy, Her skills are being changed from primary
crafting/forager (for resources) to crafting/fisherman/spellslinger to try
out fishing with enough casting ability to fight off sea serpents and
whatever she runs into. She will go after sunken treasure chests for
decorations for the house and to give away or sell.

3) Is a Treasure Hunter who goes about with treasure maps and sees whats
there to be dug up, to be used, sold, or discarded. He is taking over #2's
GM Mining since it benefits a T-hunter to have that skill. He fights with
spells.

4) Is a Bard who uses his music to hunt by entrancing monsters with his
songs. He had been an animal tamer the last couple of years but I found it
boring watching trained pets have all the fun so I switched him to bard.
Takes time but has been more fun for me. Many trive as Tamers. I found it a
yawner. ::shrug:: He fights with spells, and when using his songs to affect
the monsters around him can do well hunting.

5) Is an Elder skills Mage who fights with spells and has near elder
bandaging skills to heal his own wounds and those of people around him. I
play him as a Healer and after I get four more ability gains in Anatomy
skill, he will show Elder Healer on his paperdoll instead of Elder Mage.
This was my first long-term character. Until he runs out of spell componets
he can kick butt with the best. Once he does, he pulls out a mage-weapon and
fights with that until his bandages run out. Then he spells himself to
somewhere healthy or gets a dirtnap (dead) and walks out as a ghost.

#6) Is my 7th Anniversary Edition slot charcter and is training to be a
Paladin with Maces & Archery as weapons of choice. My only melee-fighter.
Still not sure about this one. It may become a Thief/Acher instead.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:12:32 AM

> First and formost, read NOTHING posted by this asswipe troll and

John, just do this, notice Windsor does not deny the fact he is a proud
Scammer.
He actually posted this. Look on deja and you will see.

Windsor is just pissed that someone is calling him out for what he is, A
SCAMMER.
If his below post is not scamming, I have no clue what is !!!!

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

>>> I made a poor little new warrier and went to Brit on the Pacific
>>>shard. Stood by the bank and all I said was, "hmmm, I need something
>>>to ride." and in less than 10 minutes I was given a ridgeback, a
>>>check for 1 million gold and offered a house. I'd say that the spirit
>>>of Ultima is still there despite the PKs.
>>>Nope. And the next thing that happened is someone opend a gate and
>>>took me to Luna and bought me a Book of Chivalry when I asked what a
>>>recall was and how do you do it. He gave me 3500 gold and said now
>>>buy the book then go back in the moon gate.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 11:09:49 AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:52:17 GMT, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:42:32 -0600, "John Strong"
><angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
>>expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
>>before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
>>but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>>
>>Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the beginning?
>>What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>>
>>I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
>>style of game, just UO itself.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>
>Well, pull up your skills gump and decide what you want to specialize in.
>You'll want to have those skills marked up so they will increase. If
>there is some useless skill you don't want, mark it down or you can lock
>it at some level. You only have 700 or so skill points to spread around
>but as a new character you might want to try out different things a bit
>before deciding.
>
>Personally, I usually start with a custom character with 50 resisting
>spells and 50 magery, then develop combat skills (swords/fencing/mace) and
>related skills (anatomy/healing/tactics) by fighting some easy creatures
>(wolves/hinds/bears) near Moonglow.

I think it's better for a newbie to start with one of the template
characters so he can do the newbie quests. Those give
you a nice little pile of gold to get you started and usually
walk you through the basics as well.

I'd recommend starting with a Paladin myself.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:24:00 PM

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:12:32 GMT, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote:

>If his below post is not scamming, I have no clue what is !!!!

Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
entirely lack, troll.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 2:24:01 PM

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:12:32 GMT, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote:
>
> >If his below post is not scamming, I have no clue what is !!!!

> Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
> millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
> entirely lack, troll.

begging != giving
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:46:52 PM

Adam Russell wrote:

>>Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
>>millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
>>entirely lack, troll.
>

> begging != giving

Pardon, could you clarify that?
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:50:40 PM

Reg LeCrisp wrote:

> I think it's better for a newbie to start with one of the template
> characters so he can do the newbie quests. Those give
> you a nice little pile of gold to get you started and usually
> walk you through the basics as well.
>
> I'd recommend starting with a Paladin myself.
>

> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

And of course as I have said before, if you are new, especially
with young on your name people like me will always give you stuff.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:51:58 PM

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:09:49 -0400, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>I think it's better for a newbie to start with one of the template
>characters so he can do the newbie quests. Those give
>you a nice little pile of gold to get you started and usually
>walk you through the basics as well.
>
>I'd recommend starting with a Paladin myself.

Templates? They have templates now? ;PPP

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 3:53:47 PM

Polychromic wrote:

> Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
> millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
> entirely lack, troll.

*blink*

Is there an echo in here, here, here, here....
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 4:20:13 PM

#6) Is my 7th Anniversary Edition slot charcter and is training to be a
Paladin with Maces & Archery as weapons of choice. My only melee-fighter.
Still not sure about this one. It may become a Thief/Acher instead.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 7:36:36 PM

>Templates? They have templates now? ;PPP

Good way to start out, too...aside from the extra money they get after
finishing their "newbie quests", they start with extra gear(they all get full
sets of armor, for one, well, except the Smith...they don't even have their
quest anymore...), and more skill points & stats than an "advanced" character
gets to start with.

For a quick example, the Paladin...
They start with their stats set at 45/20/25-85 stat points, as opposed to the
normal 80(not much, but still...)
And skillwise they start with 51 Chivalry, 30 Focus, 49 Swords and 30 Tactics,
160 points!
(pretty big boost from the 100 an advanced gets to juggle)

The quests take less than an hour to complete, and even less time once you've
done them a couple times...(i admit it, i've used the paladin to harvest undead
slayers a few times...)

Not knowing our new friend's leanings in MMOs, i'd just say go Paladin if you
like melee/hybrid types, Mage if you like casters(just for the huge variety of
mostly useful spells), and see what suits ya best. :}

~Cyrus of Sosaria~

I kinda miss the days when we started out with 100 gold, a candle, a dagger, a
book and the shoes on our feet, we were hardier folk back then...*shakes his
cane*
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 7:36:37 PM

Cyrus of Sosaria wrote:

> I kinda miss the days when we started out with 100 gold, a candle, a dagger, a
> book and the shoes on our feet, we were hardier folk back then...*shakes his
> cane*

Yeah, lying dead in the streets of Brit having been killed by a
Finch....
August 14, 2004 7:36:37 PM

"Cyrus of Sosaria" <cystocot4@cs.com> wrote in message
> >Templates? They have templates now? ;PPP
> >

> Good way to start out, too...aside from the extra money they get after
> finishing their "newbie quests", they start with extra gear(they all get
full
> sets of armor, for one, well, except the Smith...they don't even have
their
> quest anymore...), and more skill points & stats than an "advanced"
character
> gets to start with.
The (Young) Smith still gets a quest. It consist of "go dig up some ore,
now take these two BOD's to Minoc and fill them". VERY complicated and
HIGHLY rewarding quest. [Yes, that was sarcastic.]

> Not knowing our new friend's leanings in MMOs, i'd just say go Paladin if
you
> like melee/hybrid types, Mage if you like casters(just for the huge
variety of
> mostly useful spells), and see what suits ya best. :}
>
> ~Cyrus of Sosaria~
Pally's definitely rock when it comes to just getting started. Also, do at
least a few Young treasure maps and sell the reagents and gems. That will
give you a good starting capital towards whatever you decide you really want
to do in the game. And DON'T let anybody convince you to renounce your
Young status. Let it wear out over time. Not even to get that really cool
beetle that everyone is riding....

> I kinda miss the days when we started out with 100 gold, a candle, a
dagger, a
> book and the shoes on our feet, we were hardier folk back then...*shakes
his
> cane*
And bunny bashing was a noble and time-honored profession....and you ran the
three steps back into the safety of the guard zone when ANYBODY'S name
showed up on the edge of your screen, red or blue. Those blue PK's were the
worst.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:23:24 PM

!= is used in programming for NOT

> Adam Russell wrote:
>

> >>Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
> >>millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
> >>entirely lack, troll.
> >

> > begging != giving
> >

> Pardon, could you clarify that?

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:29:36 PM

iiieeeeee!!!

To say that correctly....

! is NOT
!= is Not equivalent to

"Jason Morgan" <Alminair@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> != is used in programming for NOT
>

> "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

> > > begging != giving
> > >

> > Pardon, could you clarify that?

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:29:37 PM

"Jason Morgan" <Alminair@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<kSsTc.101$3O3.23@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> iiieeeeee!!!
>
> To say that correctly....
>
> ! is NOT
> != is Not equivalent to
>

> "Jason Morgan" <Alminair@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > != is used in programming for NOT
> >

> > "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

> you

> > > Pardon, could you clarify that?

It reads "Begging does not equal giving".
But I could go further and say that in my opinion begging is pretty
close to the exact opposite of "being generous".
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 1:27:35 AM

Adam Russell wrote:

> It reads "Begging does not equal giving".
> But I could go further and say that in my opinion begging is pretty
> close to the exact opposite of "being generous".

Yes, and since you have no clue of the situation other than the
ambiguous lies by omission that are posted by an ass that is
impersonating a true regular poster of this group, then to make a
comment on my behaviour essentially equates to talking out of your
ass. I would like to suggest before making blanket statments you
should have asked what the actual details are. I and Cystocot have
given more stuff to new players in this game than you will ever make
while playing it.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 2:32:23 AM

"Adam Russell" <adamrussell@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> It reads "Begging does not equal giving".

Very simple

Windsor Fox has played UO for a long time. He faked like he was
a noob by asking questions such as how does one recall to gain
sypathy from vet UO players....

This is no different then a healthy guy on a street whom sits on a
wheelchair attempting to gain sympathy from passersby to give
him handouts.

It's great you guys support scammers in this game, and this board.
No surprise, really.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 12:11:02 PM

> I and Cystocot have given more stuff to new players

So in other words, you scam and steal from the rich, and give to the poor?

> in this game than you will ever make while playing it.

Actually I don't play UO no longer. It's a game full of scammers, like you.

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

>>> I made a poor little new warrier and went to Brit on the Pacific
>>>shard. Stood by the bank and all I said was, "hmmm, I need something
>>>to ride." and in less than 10 minutes I was given a ridgeback, a
>>>check for 1 million gold and offered a house. I'd say that the spirit
>>>of Ultima is still there despite the PKs.
>>>Nope. And the next thing that happened is someone opend a gate and
>>>took me to Luna and bought me a Book of Chivalry when I asked what a
>>>recall was and how do you do it. He gave me 3500 gold and said now
>>>buy the book then go back in the moon gate.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 12:21:39 PM

"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message

> And you're a foul mouthed troll who only avoids being on the ignore
> lists of everyone else on the board (like your previous incarnations)
> by using my name.

Could my imposter please stop stalking me !

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
August 15, 2004 1:01:37 PM

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> Adam Russell wrote:
>

> > It reads "Begging does not equal giving".
> > But I could go further and say that in my opinion begging is pretty
> > close to the exact opposite of "being generous".
>

> Yes, and since you have no clue of the situation other than the
> ambiguous lies by omission that are posted by an ass that is
> impersonating a true regular poster of this group, then to make a
> comment on my behaviour essentially equates to talking out of your
> ass. I would like to suggest before making blanket statments you
> should have asked what the actual details are. I and Cystocot have
> given more stuff to new players in this game than you will ever make
> while playing it.

I don't think he was trying to judge you...
Don't let the other shithead wind you up!

Archeon
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 5:51:54 PM

Archeon wrote:

> I don't think he was trying to judge you...
> Don't let the other shithead wind you up!
>
> Archeon

I am, unwindable. A total mouse potato.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 5:55:15 PM

Cyrus of Sosaria wrote:

>>I and Cystocot have
>>given more stuff to new players in this game than you will ever make
>>while playing it.
>

> Please don't drag me into this...as much as i think our trollish friend is a
> coward for hiding behind the assumed identity of a regular Vet poster, i'd
> rather not get dragged into anything with him.
>
> It's easy to hit the "next article" button and just ignore the
> posts...constantly replying to him is only egging him on, and he's not going to
> stop if you keep playing his game.
>
> Oh, and i prefer Cyrus. :p
> ~Cyrus of Sosaria~

I was not replyinhg to him, I was replying to AR. I did not
realize I was dragging you into something by mentioning that you give
stuff away. I'll be sure to never mention it again.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:25:20 PM

Archeon wrote:
> "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>
>>Adam Russell wrote:
>>

>>>It reads "Begging does not equal giving".
>>>But I could go further and say that in my opinion begging is pretty
>>>close to the exact opposite of "being generous".
>>

>> Yes, and since you have no clue of the situation other than the
>>ambiguous lies by omission that are posted by an ass that is
>>impersonating a true regular poster of this group, then to make a
>>comment on my behaviour essentially equates to talking out of your
>>ass. I would like to suggest before making blanket statments you
>>should have asked what the actual details are. I and Cystocot have
>>given more stuff to new players in this game than you will ever make
>>while playing it.
>>

> I don't think he was trying to judge you...
> Don't let the other shithead wind you up!
>
> Archeon

Did it occur to you that the original poster and the Reg doppleganger
are one in the same?
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:25:21 PM

Rick Cortese wrote:

>> I don't think he was trying to judge you...
>> Don't let the other shithead wind you up!
>>
>> Archeon
>>

> Did it occur to you that the original poster and the Reg doppleganger
> are one in the same?

Yes, posted through Google. Someone should bann that spam factory.
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:25:21 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:25:20 GMT, Rick Cortese
<ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Did it occur to you that the original poster and the Reg doppleganger
>are one in the same?

Hmm that didn't occur to me. Are they? I know that the troll can
actually post normally at times. He only gives himself away when he
starts ranting at and attacking Windsor and Skinner.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
August 16, 2004 12:04:54 AM

"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Archeon wrote:
> > "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> > I don't think he was trying to judge you...
> > Don't let the other shithead wind you up!
> >
> > Archeon
> >

> Did it occur to you that the original poster and the Reg doppleganger
> are one in the same?

No, I'm afraid it didn't. I tend to be too naive for these flamings, and
take people at face value.
WindsorFox is feeling a little sore ATM, though, and who can blame him?

Archeon
August 16, 2004 12:05:39 AM

> Archeon wrote:
>

> > I don't think he was trying to judge you...
> > Don't let the other shithead wind you up!
> >
> > Archeon
> >

> I am, unwindable. A total mouse potato.

Heh, good for you mate!!

Archeon
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 12:53:29 AM

cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

>>And DON'T let anybody convince you to renounce your
>>Young status. Let it wear out over time.
>
>Yeah...i see so many young players that drop their tag just for a horse at
>Haven bank, i'm about ready to make up a macro to warn them about what exactly
>they're losing...

Frankly, they aren't losing much. The [young] title is so easily lost
(40 hours total gameplay across all characters or 350 skill points on
any single character) that it's all-but-meaningless. Maybe it was
different back in the PK-behind-every-tree days.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Anonymous

Derek Lyons wrote:
> cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:
>

>>>And DON'T let anybody convince you to renounce your
>>>Young status. Let it wear out over time.
>>
>>Yeah...i see so many young players that drop their tag just for a horse at
>>Haven bank, i'm about ready to make up a macro to warn them about what exactly
>>they're losing...
>

> Frankly, they aren't losing much. The [young] title is so easily lost
> (40 hours total gameplay across all characters or 350 skill points on
> any single character) that it's all-but-meaningless. Maybe it was
> different back in the PK-behind-every-tree days.
>
> D.

I used a young character to run around looking at the ancient
wyrm lair, the weird techlike place of Blackthorns in Illsh and to
get to the Gargoyl city the first time. I wandered all kinds of
places that many people may never see, at least not in a living state.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:03:22 AM

Reg LeCrisp wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 17:25:20 GMT, Rick Cortese
> <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Did it occur to you that the original poster and the Reg doppleganger
>>are one in the same?
>

> Hmm that didn't occur to me. Are they? I know that the troll can
> actually post normally at times. He only gives himself away when he
> starts ranting at and attacking Windsor and Skinner.
>
> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

Apparently.

I have to admit at least a 9 on a 10 scale. Specifically setting up two
identities, both of which are feign a certain lack of depth, to lay a
trap to get back into the "newbie scammer Windsor!" troll. This was very
artfully done.

It only falls behind ones like the faux newbie: "It said do I want to
play as a ghost and now I have changed my mind. I don't want to restart!"

In my rating system that rated a 10 out of 10 because of the humorous
results.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 3:03:23 AM

Rick Cortese wrote:

> It only falls behind ones like the faux newbie: "It said do I want to
> play as a ghost and now I have changed my mind. I don't want to restart!"
>
> In my rating system that rated a 10 out of 10 because of the humorous
> results.

I don't remember that one. Play as a ghost?
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 6:53:27 AM

> Derek Lyons wrote:

>>>Yeah...i see so many young players that drop their tag just for a horse
>>>at
>>>Haven bank, i'm about ready to make up a macro to warn them about what
>>>exactly
>>>they're losing...
>>

>> Frankly, they aren't losing much. The [young] title is so easily lost
>> (40 hours total gameplay across all characters or 350 skill points on
>> any single character) that it's all-but-meaningless. Maybe it was
>> different back in the PK-behind-every-tree days.
>>
>> D.
>
> I used a young character to run around looking at the ancient wyrm
> lair, the weird techlike place of Blackthorns in Illsh and to get to the
> Gargoyl city the first time. I wandered all kinds of places that many
> people may never see, at least not in a living state.

Was that around LBR or Pub16 time? (I forget which publish disallowed it)

I believe they have fixed that little loophole (going into dungeons as a
young and not being attacked.) I am not sure if it applies to Ilshenar
overland spawns though. I imagine it doesn't.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:05:21 AM

>I believe they have fixed that little loophole (going into dungeons as a
>young and not being attacked.) I am not sure if it applies to Ilshenar
>overland spawns though. I imagine it doesn't.

It doesn't apply to the overland spawns, and yeeepp, it was fixed.
Kinda a pity in some ways...when the young system was stll fairly new and
buggy, i took a new character and explored Ilshenar and it's dungeons, used
that experience a couple months back when i started getting bored hunting the
same liches & demons & what-not in the same spots day in and out, helped
exploring the labyrinth under Ilshenar with a hazy recollection in the corners
of my mind.

Though it's also a good thing, in that exploring, i went into the dungeon under
Terort Skiltas and cleaned up after a bard that was playing with the various
critters in the second floor basement, picked up several high end weapons and
bits of armor, had a newbie pretty well "pimped" from just picking up someone
else's trash.

~Cyrus of Sosaria~

Would be pretty sad seeing a bunch of [young] players hanging around in the
gauntlet, picking up the leftovers or script looting(somehow, don't know or
care how that BS works, and hope to god it's fixed soon so the Dev team can
move onto something else.)
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:17:56 AM

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

> I used a young character to run around looking at the ancient
>wyrm lair, the weird techlike place of Blackthorns in Illsh and to
>get to the Gargoyl city the first time. I wandered all kinds of
>places that many people may never see, at least not in a living state.

Did you do so when you were [young]? Or like I did, when I opened my
second account? A considerably different matter. I don't think the
average [young] even knows those places exist, let alone have a desire
to visit them.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:39:42 AM

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> ambiguous lies by omission that are posted by an ass that is

Lies?, All I am doing is warning others about your scamming ways. You did
post the below SCAMMING thread, WORD FOR WORD, right?

Since you are out of a RL job, I suggest using your scamming ways in real
life also. Go find a wheel chair at the Salvation army and sit on that for
a few hours each day on some busy city sidewalk. Let us know how you do !!

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>>> I made a poor little new warrier and went to Brit on the Pacific
>>>shard. Stood by the bank and all I said was, "hmmm, I need something
>>>to ride." and in less than 10 minutes I was given a ridgeback, a
>>>check for 1 million gold and offered a house. I'd say that the spirit
>>>of Ultima is still there despite the PKs.
>>>Nope. And the next thing that happened is someone opend a gate and
>>>took me to Luna and bought me a Book of Chivalry when I asked what a
>>>recall was and how do you do it. He gave me 3500 gold and said now
>>>buy the book then go back in the moon gate
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 8:01:21 AM

> >I did not
>>realize I was dragging you into something by mentioning that you give
>>stuff away. I'll be sure to never mention it again.
>
> I didn't mean it like that, i just don't think being generous needs to be
> bragged about, and...why am i even responding to this?
>
> You know you're not a scammer, in our time together, you've been a great
> companion and formidable partner in battle, and very patient with my
> hyperactive antics(and trips halfway around the world to look at a pair of
> platemail arms), and you've always done what you can to help younger
> players,
> even trying to argue those idiots that open the death gates in Haven out
> of the
> city...
>
> Sorry if you took it as an insult, man, wasn't meant that way, my bad.
>
> ~Cyrus of Sosaria~

The fake Reg might be a troll but he does have a very good point.
WindsorFox might not be a scammer but he obviously took advantage of someone
elses generosity when he didn't need it.
I'm sorry but what he did IS wrong. He took money under false pretences
(i.e. people thought he was broke.) Hardly the crime of the century. It is
totally immoral though.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 9:40:46 AM

> Would be pretty sad seeing a bunch of [young] players hanging around in
> the
> gauntlet, picking up the leftovers or script looting(somehow, don't know
> or
> care how that BS works, and hope to god it's fixed soon so the Dev team
> can
> move onto something else.)

I got a second account when AoS came out and was able to go into Doom
unmolested. It was nice to be able to stand there without being targetted
and also highly amusing to watch people basically committing suicide to try
and get a gold skull from the Bone Daemon. Ahh, those were the days :)
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 10:17:07 AM

>I'm sorry but what he did IS wrong. He took money under false pretences
>(i.e. people thought he was broke.) Hardly the crime of the century. It is
>totally immoral though.

I'd have to say reading that did bother me a little, but my experiences with
Windsor have always been positive, he's a good guy, maybe a little hotheaded
when it comes to dealing with actual scammers and the aformentioned "death
gaters", and he sometimes lets that get in the way of reason, and gets into
some potty talk that makes even me blush...

*chuckles*

But anyone that's taken a new player under their wing, and done it quite a few
times, and made a serious effort to give young players a positive image of the
veteran player, is okay in my book, even if they have a few faults and a slip
here and there along the way.

Not saying the good totally outweighs the bad, i just prefer to judge a person
by the overall picture and the larger scope of their actions.

I can honestly say i respect the guy and enjoy the rare occasions i get to drag
him along on a hunt.(recently got him out of his rutt a little and out hunting
demons, was good too see him having some fun again.)

~Cyrus of Sosaria~

*And seriously, my post was largely sarcastic, though everything i said with
regards to our buddy "Reg" was completely serious.*
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 11:52:55 AM

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message news:<XRzTc.28611$Jo1.17180@lakeread01>...
> Adam Russell wrote:
>

> > It reads "Begging does not equal giving".
> > But I could go further and say that in my opinion begging is pretty
> > close to the exact opposite of "being generous".
>

> Yes, and since you have no clue of the situation other than the
> ambiguous lies by omission that are posted by an ass that is
> impersonating a true regular poster of this group, then to make a
> comment on my behaviour essentially equates to talking out of your
> ass.

I posted a reply to YOUR message in which you quoted text by him. In
your reply you did not refute his quoted text and instead attempted to
defend your actions in that text. You basically tried to turn a
beggar situation into an act of generosity. If you did not beg then I
apologize. But by YOUR OWN message that I replied to it appeared that
you did.

>I would like to suggest before making blanket statments you
> should have asked what the actual details are. I and Cystocot have
> given more stuff to new players in this game than you will ever make
> while playing it.

While I agree that impersonating another poster is an offense worthy
of the killfile, I normally do not reply to posts based on who is
making the post. I (usually) ignore who is the author and reply based
on the message written. I also often reply to individual messages
without reading back through the thread. I do not think this is
wrong. If there is a context that you think needs to be attached to
your message you should quote it in the message.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:35:05 PM

WindsorFox[SS] wrote:
> Rick Cortese wrote:
>

>> It only falls behind ones like the faux newbie: "It said do I want to
>> play as a ghost and now I have changed my mind. I don't want to restart!"
>>
>> In my rating system that rated a 10 out of 10 because of the humorous
>> results.
>

> I don't remember that one. Play as a ghost?

Phoney post where joker pretended they were unimformed.
******************
From: Ames (ames@chip.net)
Subject: I'M Dead!!!! Ten minutes of playing!
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online
Date: 1999/01/14

I am a new person to Ultima Online and I am mad! I found this group
after hoping there would be one because I get no help anywhere. I
bought this game last weekend after looking at a lot of games. It cost
49.99 and came with the other world disk in it. I thought it would be
fun. I created a character and started in some town, i cant Remember
which one. I was a warrior but knew I had to start off low. I went
into the woods to kill some animals to get my strength up. All of a
sudden I was killed!!!!! At least I guess!!!! and by another player!
Then the screen went to a screen that said did I want to play as a
ghost. I didnt know what to do so I said yes and now I am a ghost and
the screen is GREY!! I am a ghost! That is it. What a ripoff!!! I
spend good moneeny to play ten minutes and be a ghost?? I WANT MY MONEY
BACK!!! I guess I am stupid to die not like you all but so what?!?!? I
dont want to play the rest of my life as a ghost! What a stupid Choice!
SO if you dont know it, DONT PLAY AS A GHOST! If you can tell me how to
get my money back pls let me know. I dont want to pay 9.95 a month for
this to play as a ghost!!

Ames
*************************

This drew something like 40 responses! It was continued with
******************
Thanks to all who helped me realize you don't have to play as a ghost.
But check this out. i was at the bank putting in my skins and some guy
stole from me! Unbeleiveable!....Thats ok if you agree to
theiveing...but a new person like me? I went then to the whole problem
to page a game master to report this and got a messege that it is part
of the game. WHAT? to be thieved from? Does this happen often?? Its
ridiculous! The Gm should be able to give me my stuff back. Is this
happened to you? So now I have almost nothing. Combined with playing
as a ghost this is ver hard to take. So far this game has only been a
sore spot to me. Can it be fun>?

Ames

************************
And the final post
**********************
After getting home I read the responces to my post about being a ghost.
If you think I am dumb I dont care. But thanks to those who did try to
help. I don't think that anyone really understood what I was saying.
My screen is grey! It is not the colors. I am in ragged clotehs. What
I am saying is that I am dead! Some people say they have a lot of lifes
and I would make a new character but I dont know how and even then I
like this new character that is dead. WHen ever I start the game the
grey screen comes back on. And I thought a healer could only heal. I
am not hurt I AM DEAD! Does a healer bring someone back to life? And I
only turn the screen on for a few minutes because I cannot stand it, so
maybe a healer walks by I dont know. So should I start the game and
just stand there and a healer will walk by automatically??? Will the
game signal I am dead? I will admit, yes, that I do not have the
manual. I did lose that, I admit. But in other muds I have played if
you die you are instantly swept back to life, so that is what I know.
Here I am only grey. ALso, if it helps, someone said that I am a
troll. I am not. I roleplay a human, not a troll. So maybe that has
something to do with it. I do appreciate your help. SOmetimes I know
games are tough so maybe I will laugh at this in time. But now I am
still angry. If worse comes to worse, can someone tell me if they play
as a ghost and is it fun. Thanks.
Ames.

**************

These posts were done by Cyclone, an UO regular known for his humor and
ability to put one over. There were other examples equally as funny but
I can't recall them at the momment.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 7:49:46 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:53:29 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

>cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:
>
>>>And DON'T let anybody convince you to renounce your
>>>Young status. Let it wear out over time.
>>
>>Yeah...i see so many young players that drop their tag just for a horse at
>>Haven bank, i'm about ready to make up a macro to warn them about what exactly
>>they're losing...
>
>Frankly, they aren't losing much. The [young] title is so easily lost
>(40 hours total gameplay across all characters or 350 skill points on
>any single character) that it's all-but-meaningless. Maybe it was
>different back in the PK-behind-every-tree days.

Perhaps true, but for the total newcomer it's priceless!

Keep that [young] status and explore Haven Island. This is your
training grounds, and you will want to have an idea of the spawns.
Also walk all the roads to and from towns. Be sure to back this up
with UOAM.

Additionally, that [young] tag is the one sure way that experienced
players will realize they are talking to new player, who may need some
assistance. Although it's not impossible to fake, somehow...*sighs*

In my opinion, the most valuable commodity an experienced player can
offer the newcomer is time. It's been over a year now, and I still
have fond memories of the 7 year vet who spent over 90 minutes showing
me around.

Anyone who has played for 12 months is able to give you 100K in gold,
and never miss it. The offer of their time is the truly generous
gift.

Armor and gold are a necessity, but the key to a positive UO
experience is a proper welcome. Sorry, but because of scammers, I
only extend that to [young] players.

I suggest it's worth hanging onto as long as possible.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 9:53:40 PM

> But anyone that's taken a new player under their wing, and done it quite a
few
> times, and made a serious effort to give young players a positive image

And later if you find out that supposed new player was actually a 5 year vet
how would that make you feel? Conned? They just wasted a good hour of your
time showing the "Fake Noob" around.....

How bout if said noob player comes onto a public message board like this one
and starts talking about his accomplishments?

WindsorFox is a Scammer, sugarcoat it anyway you like....People can call me
a troll all they like. They can attempt to defend the scammer all they
like. The Below post that was written by him says all about him.

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
>>> I made a poor little new warrier and went to Brit on the Pacific
>>>shard. Stood by the bank and all I said was, "hmmm, I need something
>>>to ride." and in less than 10 minutes I was given a ridgeback, a
>>>check for 1 million gold and offered a house. I'd say that the spirit
>>>of Ultima is still there despite the PKs.
>>>Nope. And the next thing that happened is someone opend a gate and
>>>took me to Luna and bought me a Book of Chivalry when I asked what a
>>>recall was and how do you do it. He gave me 3500 gold and said now
>>>buy the book then go back in the moon gate
August 17, 2004 4:18:23 AM

"Jaeger Prelac" <jprelac@softhome.net> wrote in message
> In my opinion, the most valuable commodity an experienced player can
> offer the newcomer is time. It's been over a year now, and I still
> have fond memories of the 7 year vet who spent over 90 minutes showing
> me around.

That's quite right, you've reminded me of a guy in Deceit when it was full
(sniff!) who spent half an hour explaining the virtues of a high dex and how
to see-saw stats. I couldn't beleive how fast he was swinging! He was
basically my first character's godfather :)

Archeon
STR 101
DEX 101
INT whatever's left