Totally new to the game...advice wanted....

Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.

Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the beginning?
What advice would you give to a totally new player?

I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
style of game, just UO itself.

Thanks in advance.

Very simple.

Since you bought the game new, you will have your "Young" tag still up.
Whatever you do, don't remove this, allow it to decay
over time.

Secondly, create a female toon, preferably blond and wear some skimpy
outfit. Make a couple female emotes like *giggles*, *smiles*, etc but do
not over do it.

Then run around town and follow these steps by a UO Veteran who made close
to 7 milllion gold and a free placed tower in just under 2 weeks.

Above all, have fun !...you may want to email Windsor to get more scamming
tips. He hangs out on Atlantic.

Asswipe troll wrote:

> Very simple.

First and formost, read NOTHING posted by this asswipe troll and
forward all his posts to abuse@comcast.net and know that The real
Reg LeCrisp resides on Sympatico in Canada.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:42:32 -0600, "John Strong"
<angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:

>Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
>expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
>before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
>but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>
>Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the beginning?
>What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>
>I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
>style of game, just UO itself.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Well, pull up your skills gump and decide what you want to specialize in.
You'll want to have those skills marked up so they will increase. If
there is some useless skill you don't want, mark it down or you can lock
it at some level. You only have 700 or so skill points to spread around
but as a new character you might want to try out different things a bit
before deciding.

Personally, I usually start with a custom character with 50 resisting
spells and 50 magery, then develop combat skills (swords/fencing/mace) and
related skills (anatomy/healing/tactics) by fighting some easy creatures
(wolves/hinds/bears) near Moonglow.

Once I can defend myself a bit, I start specializing my skills toward
whatever type of character I want to create. I'll start going to
Illshenar through a moongate and fight ratmen or earth elementals or I'll
go find some black solen ants to fight.

I guess the question is, do you want to fight monster or craft items to
sell to other players?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:48:33 GMT, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote:

>Very simple.

<snip>

Ignore this troll. The real Reg doesn't post from 24.*.*.*

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

you can craft items to sell to players in this game?

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:42:32 -0600, "John Strong"
> <angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
>>expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
>>before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
>>but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>>
>>Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the
>>beginning?
>>What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>>
>>I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
>>style of game, just UO itself.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>
> Well, pull up your skills gump and decide what you want to specialize in.
> You'll want to have those skills marked up so they will increase. If
> there is some useless skill you don't want, mark it down or you can lock
> it at some level. You only have 700 or so skill points to spread around
> but as a new character you might want to try out different things a bit
> before deciding.
>
> Personally, I usually start with a custom character with 50 resisting
> spells and 50 magery, then develop combat skills (swords/fencing/mace) and
> related skills (anatomy/healing/tactics) by fighting some easy creatures
> (wolves/hinds/bears) near Moonglow.
>
> Once I can defend myself a bit, I start specializing my skills toward
> whatever type of character I want to create. I'll start going to
> Illshenar through a moongate and fight ratmen or earth elementals or I'll
> go find some black solen ants to fight.
>
> I guess the question is, do you want to fight monster or craft items to
> sell to other players?
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"John Strong" <angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
> expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
> before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
> but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>
> Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the
beginning?
> What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>
> I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
> style of game, just UO itself.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I've been in UO four years now. I suggest starting with a mage character to
have the travel spells and just wander the lands. There is a lot to do and
see in this game-world. In this game you have far more than the usual
kill-or-be-killed combat of most of the games out there. In UO you can be a
craftsman in several crafts, be an explorer, be a merchant prince, a street
beggar, a shepherd, or a crazed murderering killer ( on the Fel facet). You
have a wide range of options and can vary them if you want as time goes by.
if your in a mood to rock & roll, go hunting. If you want a more laid back
session, go foraging for lumber, ore for metal ingots, or for animal hides
and meats to use or sell. If your feeling *really* inclined to kick back and
be mellow, try hearding sheep. You can gather the wool to sell or make into
cloth to put some gold in your pockets if you want to bother with it. :)

I currently have six characters which are:

1) A craftsman with GM (Grandmaster 100 skill) Blacksmithing, Tailoring,
Tinkering, & Carpentry which lets him craft in all those fields plus make
all the combination craft items. He does the lumberjacking with about 60
skill and has 45 skill in music to make instruments. He is a grandmaster
Fletcher as well. For travel & combat he has 90 magery to let him travel,
summon creatures to defend him, and allow use of 'mage weapons' which
operate from the mage skill instead of a weapon skill. He's not worth much
in a real fight but anything he's likely to run into he can handle.

He supplies my crew with nearly all their gear and sells other stuff to
other players on vendors he has set up.

2) Is GM Inscription & Alchemy, Her skills are being changed from primary
crafting/forager (for resources) to crafting/fisherman/spellslinger to try
out fishing with enough casting ability to fight off sea serpents and
whatever she runs into. She will go after sunken treasure chests for
decorations for the house and to give away or sell.

3) Is a Treasure Hunter who goes about with treasure maps and sees whats
there to be dug up, to be used, sold, or discarded. He is taking over #2's
GM Mining since it benefits a T-hunter to have that skill. He fights with
spells.

4) Is a Bard who uses his music to hunt by entrancing monsters with his
songs. He had been an animal tamer the last couple of years but I found it
boring watching trained pets have all the fun so I switched him to bard.
Takes time but has been more fun for me. Many trive as Tamers. I found it a
yawner. ::shrug:: He fights with spells, and when using his songs to affect
the monsters around him can do well hunting.

5) Is an Elder skills Mage who fights with spells and has near elder
bandaging skills to heal his own wounds and those of people around him. I
play him as a Healer and after I get four more ability gains in Anatomy
skill, he will show Elder Healer on his paperdoll instead of Elder Mage.
This was my first long-term character. Until he runs out of spell componets
he can kick butt with the best. Once he does, he pulls out a mage-weapon and
fights with that until his bandages run out. Then he spells himself to
somewhere healthy or gets a dirtnap (dead) and walks out as a ghost.

#6) Is my 7th Anniversary Edition slot charcter and is training to be a
Paladin with Maces & Archery as weapons of choice. My only melee-fighter.
Still not sure about this one. It may become a Thief/Acher instead.

> First and formost, read NOTHING posted by this asswipe troll and

John, just do this, notice Windsor does not deny the fact he is a proud
Scammer.
He actually posted this. Look on deja and you will see.

Windsor is just pissed that someone is calling him out for what he is, A
SCAMMER.
If his below post is not scamming, I have no clue what is !!!!

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:52:17 GMT, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:42:32 -0600, "John Strong"
><angrycornflake@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Hello all. Just bought UO 7th Anniversary edition (which has all the
>>expansions) and thought I'd ask some questions. Tried playing this game
>>before and didn't really see enough in the beginning to catch my interest,
>>but for $19 for the package, I thought I'd give it another shake.
>>
>>Anyway, question is, what would you suggest I do or go see in the beginning?
>>What advice would you give to a totally new player?
>>
>>I've played EQ for years and CoH since its release so I'm not new to this
>>style of game, just UO itself.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>
>Well, pull up your skills gump and decide what you want to specialize in.
>You'll want to have those skills marked up so they will increase. If
>there is some useless skill you don't want, mark it down or you can lock
>it at some level. You only have 700 or so skill points to spread around
>but as a new character you might want to try out different things a bit
>before deciding.
>
>Personally, I usually start with a custom character with 50 resisting
>spells and 50 magery, then develop combat skills (swords/fencing/mace) and
>related skills (anatomy/healing/tactics) by fighting some easy creatures
>(wolves/hinds/bears) near Moonglow.

I think it's better for a newbie to start with one of the template
characters so he can do the newbie quests. Those give
you a nice little pile of gold to get you started and usually
walk you through the basics as well.

I'd recommend starting with a Paladin myself.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:12:32 GMT, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote:

>If his below post is not scamming, I have no clue what is !!!!

Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
entirely lack, troll.

--

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:12:32 GMT, "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote:
>
> >If his below post is not scamming, I have no clue what is !!!!

> Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
> millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
> entirely lack, troll.

begging != giving

Adam Russell wrote:

>>Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
>>millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
>>entirely lack, troll.
>

> begging != giving

Pardon, could you clarify that?

Reg LeCrisp wrote:

> I think it's better for a newbie to start with one of the template
> characters so he can do the newbie quests. Those give
> you a nice little pile of gold to get you started and usually
> walk you through the basics as well.
>
> I'd recommend starting with a Paladin myself.
>

> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

And of course as I have said before, if you are new, especially
with young on your name people like me will always give you stuff.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:09:49 -0400, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>I think it's better for a newbie to start with one of the template
>characters so he can do the newbie quests. Those give
>you a nice little pile of gold to get you started and usually
>walk you through the basics as well.
>
>I'd recommend starting with a Paladin myself.

Templates? They have templates now? ;PPP

--

Polychromic wrote:

> Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
> millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
> entirely lack, troll.

*blink*

Is there an echo in here, here, here, here....

#6) Is my 7th Anniversary Edition slot charcter and is training to be a
Paladin with Maces & Archery as weapons of choice. My only melee-fighter.
Still not sure about this one. It may become a Thief/Acher instead.

>Templates? They have templates now? ;PPP

Good way to start out, too...aside from the extra money they get after
finishing their "newbie quests", they start with extra gear(they all get full
sets of armor, for one, well, except the Smith...they don't even have their
quest anymore...), and more skill points & stats than an "advanced" character
gets to start with.

For a quick example, the Paladin...
They start with their stats set at 45/20/25-85 stat points, as opposed to the
normal 80(not much, but still...)
And skillwise they start with 51 Chivalry, 30 Focus, 49 Swords and 30 Tactics,
160 points!
(pretty big boost from the 100 an advanced gets to juggle)

The quests take less than an hour to complete, and even less time once you've
done them a couple times...(i admit it, i've used the paladin to harvest undead
slayers a few times...)

Not knowing our new friend's leanings in MMOs, i'd just say go Paladin if you
like melee/hybrid types, Mage if you like casters(just for the huge variety of
mostly useful spells), and see what suits ya best. :}

~Cyrus of Sosaria~

I kinda miss the days when we started out with 100 gold, a candle, a dagger, a
book and the shoes on our feet, we were hardier folk back then...*shakes his
cane*

Cyrus of Sosaria wrote:

> I kinda miss the days when we started out with 100 gold, a candle, a dagger, a
> book and the shoes on our feet, we were hardier folk back then...*shakes his
> cane*

Yeah, lying dead in the streets of Brit having been killed by a
Finch....

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

"Cyrus of Sosaria" <cystocot4@cs.com> wrote in message
> >Templates? They have templates now? ;PPP
> >

> Good way to start out, too...aside from the extra money they get after
> finishing their "newbie quests", they start with extra gear(they all get
full
> sets of armor, for one, well, except the Smith...they don't even have
their
> quest anymore...), and more skill points & stats than an "advanced"
character
> gets to start with.
The (Young) Smith still gets a quest. It consist of "go dig up some ore,
now take these two BOD's to Minoc and fill them". VERY complicated and
HIGHLY rewarding quest. [Yes, that was sarcastic.]

> Not knowing our new friend's leanings in MMOs, i'd just say go Paladin if
you
> like melee/hybrid types, Mage if you like casters(just for the huge
variety of
> mostly useful spells), and see what suits ya best. :}
>
> ~Cyrus of Sosaria~
Pally's definitely rock when it comes to just getting started. Also, do at
least a few Young treasure maps and sell the reagents and gems. That will
give you a good starting capital towards whatever you decide you really want
to do in the game. And DON'T let anybody convince you to renounce your
Young status. Let it wear out over time. Not even to get that really cool
beetle that everyone is riding....

> I kinda miss the days when we started out with 100 gold, a candle, a
dagger, a
> book and the shoes on our feet, we were hardier folk back then...*shakes
his
> cane*
And bunny bashing was a noble and time-honored profession....and you ran the
three steps back into the safety of the guard zone when ANYBODY'S name
showed up on the edge of your screen, red or blue. Those blue PK's were the
worst.

!= is used in programming for NOT

> Adam Russell wrote:
>

> >>Uh, no. Getting a handout is not scamming someone. I have given away
> >>millions in UO. It's called "being generous". Just another virtue you
> >>entirely lack, troll.
> >

> > begging != giving
> >

> Pardon, could you clarify that?

iiieeeeee!!!

To say that correctly....

! is NOT
!= is Not equivalent to

"Jason Morgan" <Alminair@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<kSsTc.101$3O3.23@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> iiieeeeee!!!
>
> To say that correctly....
>
> ! is NOT
> != is Not equivalent to
>

> "Jason Morgan" <Alminair@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > != is used in programming for NOT
> >

> > "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

> you

> > > Pardon, could you clarify that?

It reads "Begging does not equal giving".
But I could go further and say that in my opinion begging is pretty
close to the exact opposite of "being generous".

Adam Russell wrote:

> It reads "Begging does not equal giving".
> But I could go further and say that in my opinion begging is pretty
> close to the exact opposite of "being generous".

Yes, and since you have no clue of the situation other than the
ambiguous lies by omission that are posted by an ass that is
impersonating a true regular poster of this group, then to make a
comment on my behaviour essentially equates to talking out of your
ass. I would like to suggest before making blanket statments you
should have asked what the actual details are. I and Cystocot have
given more stuff to new players in this game than you will ever make
while playing it.

"Adam Russell" <adamrussell@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> It reads "Begging does not equal giving".

Very simple

Windsor Fox has played UO for a long time. He faked like he was
a noob by asking questions such as how does one recall to gain
sypathy from vet UO players....

This is no different then a healthy guy on a street whom sits on a
wheelchair attempting to gain sympathy from passersby to give
him handouts.

It's great you guys support scammers in this game, and this board.
No surprise, really.

> I and Cystocot have given more stuff to new players

So in other words, you scam and steal from the rich, and give to the poor?

> in this game than you will ever make while playing it.

Actually I don't play UO no longer. It's a game full of scammers, like you.