Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade clarification?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 1, 2012 3:21:33 AM

I just wanted to know...

I have XP installed on my hard drive. I wanted to buy 7 to use between now and when my build is completed (I'm using my current hard drive in my new build). If I buy the upgrade, and then use it to install 7 over XP (using a clean install), will I be able to then use that same upgrade disc simply to reinstall 7? Or would I have to reinstall XP and upgrade to 7 over and over?

More about : upgrade clarification

August 1, 2012 3:40:07 AM

if your new build includes a new motherboard, then most likely, you will need to install XP, then install 7. If the motherboard is not new, then you might be able to use the hard drive/OS without re-installation. It may be possible to "re-wrap" the OS using a Microsoft utility called sysprep, meaning it will go through driver detection again, but it's been a long time since I used it. sysprep is a system administrator's tool thats part of the resource kit I think.

motherboard driver issues are what are likely to cause you to need to do a reinstall.
August 1, 2012 3:51:17 AM

I would then assume it would be easier and simpler to just wait until the build is completed before I upgrade Windows then? Fair enough. But that wasn't exactly my question.

Say I have 7 (upgrade) installed for a year. Over time it's been bogged down with extra crap and is sluggish. Am I able to do a clean reinstall of the OS with the upgrade media, or am I out of luck?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 3:53:45 AM

Again, as long as same hardware/motherboard then yes. It will complain if its on different hardware.
August 1, 2012 4:04:55 AM

My apologies, I believe I'm not explaining enough. Sorry if this is dragging on because I don't get it. I'm struggling.

I have XP installed on a hard drive in my old computer. I want to buy the upgrade version of 7 and install it over XP on my hard drive (still in my old machine) to use until my build is completed. At that point I want to migrate the hard drive to my new machine without much hassle.

So question #1: will that work OK?

Assuming it does, let's say I use it for a year, when it starts to really become sluggish. I decide to reinstall fresh.

Question #2: will 7 let me pop in the upgrade disc, wipe the existing installation from the hard drive, and install it fresh? ...or would I have to install XP from its disc, then upgrade to 7 once more?

Again, so sorry for not getting it.
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 4:58:25 AM

zamboneh said:
My apologies, I believe I'm not explaining enough. Sorry if this is dragging on because I don't get it. I'm struggling.

I have XP installed on a hard drive in my old computer. I want to buy the upgrade version of 7 and install it over XP on my hard drive (still in my old machine) to use until my build is completed. At that point I want to migrate the hard drive to my new machine without much hassle.

So question #1: will that work OK?

Almost certainly not. Best to do a 'Clean Install' on your new machine. You can migrate an OS from one to another by using Sysprep, but this invariably fails. I believe the Upgrade Version behaves same as Retail Version in that you can re-install on to future new builds.
Next Question answered here
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-instal...

Simply put
http://prntscr.com/d16cx
ie you can clean install any time providing you own a properly licenced version of XP

Assuming it does, let's say I use it for a year, when it starts to really become sluggish. I decide to reinstall fresh.

Question #2: will 7 let me pop in the upgrade disc, wipe the existing installation from the hard drive, and install it fresh? ...or would I have to install XP from its disc, then upgrade to 7 once more?

Again, so sorry for not getting it.

!