administrator account does not have authority

June 6, 2005 2:50:17 PM

I'm trying to install the Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 1.06 SE Personal edition
but the program will not install and displays the message 'you do not have
access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please
rerun this installation from an administrator's account'. The problem is
that I AM trying to install it from an administrator's account! What now???

Ray
June 6, 2005 2:50:18 PM

R&J W wrote:

> I'm trying to install the Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 1.06 SE Personal
> edition but the program will not install and displays the message 'you
> do not have
> access to make the required system configuration modifications.
> Please
> rerun this installation from an administrator's account'. The problem
> is
> that I AM trying to install it from an administrator's account! What
> now???
>
> Ray

Is the computer clean to start with? Try installing Ad-aware in Safe
Mode.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

There are some malware infections that will cause exactly that. Run all your
presently loaded anti Spyware programs and your antivirus program from
within safe mode. Then try to install the latest version of Ad-Aware from
there also.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"R&J W" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install the Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 1.06 SE Personal edition
> but the program will not install and displays the message 'you do not have
> access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please
> rerun this installation from an administrator's account'. The problem is
> that I AM trying to install it from an administrator's account! What
> now???
>
> Ray

June 6, 2005 2:50:18 PM

Be sure that your system is clean.Scan your system with antivirus,as
well as with exsisting anti-malware tools-like spybot/CWShredder
or,adaware.Run all of them in safe mode.
If your system is clean next try to install this application in safe mode.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

R&J W wrote:

> I'm trying to install the Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 1.06 SE Personal edition
> but the program will not install and displays the message 'you do not have
> access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please
> rerun this installation from an administrator's account'. The problem is
> that I AM trying to install it from an administrator's account! What now???
>
> Ray

June 6, 2005 2:50:18 PM

Hi Ray,

You cannot update from Safe Mode but you will be able to run the cleaners
from there.

Safe Mode: Start/Run/Msconfig/Boot.ini/SafeBoot, apply, ok....reboot.

Note: Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running once
in Normal Mode.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"R&J W" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I'm trying to install the Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 1.06 SE Personal edition
> but the program will not install and displays the message 'you do not have
> access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please
> rerun this installation from an administrator's account'. The problem is
> that I AM trying to install it from an administrator's account! What
> now???
>
> Ray

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:26:52 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I ran my AVG anti-virus progaram and SpyBot in safe mode and downloaded and
ran Spyware Doctor. About 22 infections were shown in AVG, mostly called
Java/Byteverify. I tried to remove them but AVG reported that some of them
were located inside the archive and could not be healed. I was receiving
reports of fewer - 12 or 15 - infections than the original 22.

Then I removed all temp internet files and cookies and ran everything again
several times. Without understanding how or why, both AVG and Spware Doctor
now report (Spy-Bot never found anything amiss from the start) that there
are no infections.

I then closed down, booted and logged on, in an administrator account, to
attempt to install the new 1.06 build of Ad-Aware (I've uninstalled the 1.05
build).

But the same message as before appears. I've tried the install from safe
mode and normal, I've checked that Adaware 1.05 has been removed from the
program's folder. I've re-run the virus checkers to ensure nothing has got
back on. Everything seems OK - except that I cannot load the new Adaware!
Have I missed anything in trying to solve this problem??
Ray

> Hi Ray,
>
> You cannot update from Safe Mode but you will be able to run the cleaners
> from there.
>
> Safe Mode: Start/Run/Msconfig/Boot.ini/SafeBoot, apply, ok....reboot.
>
> Note: Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot and HijackThis:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>
> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running once
> in Normal Mode.
>
> --
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "R&J W" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to install the Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 1.06 SE Personal
>> edition but the program will not install and displays the message 'you do
>> not have access to make the required system configuration modifications.
>> Please rerun this installation from an administrator's account'. The
>> problem is that I AM trying to install it from an administrator's
>> account! What now???
>>
>> Ray

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 3:36:32 PM

Following up my last post, I forgot to mention that the last procedure I
attempted was to chose a restore point which enabled me to use and run the
previous version of AdAware - 1.05 - which found some critical objects and
removed them. However, when attempting to update 1.05 to 1.06, which
involves uninstalling the previous version, the error message again
appeared.

Ray

> Thanks everyone for your advice.
>
> I ran my AVG anti-virus progaram and SpyBot in safe mode and downloaded
> and ran Spyware Doctor. About 22 infections were shown in AVG, mostly
> called Java/Byteverify. I tried to remove them but AVG reported that some
> of them were located inside the archive and could not be healed. I was
> receiving reports of fewer - 12 or 15 - infections than the original 22.
>
> Then I removed all temp internet files and cookies and ran everything
> again several times. Without understanding how or why, both AVG and
> Spware Doctor now report (Spy-Bot never found anything amiss from the
> start) that there are no infections.
>
> I then closed down, booted and logged on, in an administrator account, to
> attempt to install the new 1.06 build of Ad-Aware (I've uninstalled the
> 1.05 build).
>
> But the same message as before appears. I've tried the install from safe
> mode and normal, I've checked that Adaware 1.05 has been removed from the
> program's folder. I've re-run the virus checkers to ensure nothing has
> got back on. Everything seems OK - except that I cannot load the new
> Adaware! Have I missed anything in trying to solve this problem??
> Ray

>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> You cannot update from Safe Mode but you will be able to run the cleaners
>> from there.
>>
>> Safe Mode: Start/Run/Msconfig/Boot.ini/SafeBoot, apply, ok....reboot.
>>
>> Note: Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot and HijackThis:
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
>>
>> Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running
>> once in Normal Mode.
>>
>> --
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "R&J W" <kermitbaby@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to install the Lavasoft's new Ad-Aware 1.06 SE Personal
>>> edition but the program will not install and displays the message 'you
>>> do not have access to make the required system configuration
>>> modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrator's
>>> account'. The problem is that I AM trying to install it from an
>>> administrator's account! What now???
>>>
>>> Ray

June 16, 2005 3:58:04 PM

I am with R&J. Exactly the same message. And I have trashed the machine
trying to change priveleges via Regedit.
I note also a posting 4/26/2005 by ICUBUD that I bet is the same issue.
In my case the software was a game "Panzers Phase One", but I notice quite a
few other people with a variety of software have this issue, if one does a
extensive Google search. Always seems to be with XP Home(as is my case).
Any help would be good.

!