Pro Audio PA vs Home Audio

Last response: in Home Audio
May 13, 2004 3:36:43 AM

Do any of you have any experience using Professional Live Music amps in
home audio
systems? Specifically, I am curious about fans , XLR termination, 1/4"
terminations,
optical input and output, and low distortion. What preamps work with
these? Are there
bargains with Mackie, Crest, and QSC vs Aragon and McIntosh? Is
reterminating high end cables
for balanced input and outputs worth the aggravation? Thanks.

More about : pro audio home audio

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 3:55:18 AM

"Philip Meech" <macmeech@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Do any of you have any experience using Professional Live Music amps in
> home audio
> systems? Specifically, I am curious about fans , XLR termination, 1/4"
> terminations,
> optical input and output, and low distortion. What preamps work with
> these? Are there
> bargains with Mackie, Crest, and QSC vs Aragon and McIntosh? Is
> reterminating high end cables
> for balanced input and outputs worth the aggravation? Thanks.

I picked up a used Mackie a few years ago to use primarily as a stereo
keyboard amp.
The output ratings intrigued me (400 watts per channel into 4 ohms), so I
hooked it up to a pair of Martin Logan SL3s in place of the 75 watt/channel
B&K Components amp that I normally use.
The preamp is an Adcom (can't remember the model).

Sounded ok, but frankly didn't notice any improvement in anything. The fan
noise is unacceptable, so I went back to the B&K. Never tried the balanced
inputs.

Richard Eriksson
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 5:52:51 AM

I have one friend who is a folk musician/audiophile/electronics designer who
swears by the Hafler pro amps. He uses them to provide sound for folf
oriented concerts and says the Haflers are excellent sounding and fully able
to keep pace with the better home amps. Good sound, lots of power, and
reasonable prices. I have no reports on any others.

Teermination should not be a problem. Anytime I need a custom cable I find
that Apature Products will build whatever I want at a reasonable price.

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store
Saint Louis MO

"Philip Meech" <macmeech@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Do any of you have any experience using Professional Live Music amps in
> home audio
> systems? Specifically, I am curious about fans , XLR termination, 1/4"
> terminations,
> optical input and output, and low distortion. What preamps work with
> these? Are there
> bargains with Mackie, Crest, and QSC vs Aragon and McIntosh? Is
> reterminating high end cables
> for balanced input and outputs worth the aggravation? Thanks.

May 13, 2004 6:48:04 AM

On 5/12/04 7:36 PM, in article fyyoc.35607$z06.5588688@attbi_s01, "Philip
Meech" <macmeech@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Do any of you have any experience using Professional Live Music amps in
> home audio
> systems? Specifically, I am curious about fans , XLR termination, 1/4"
> terminations,
> optical input and output, and low distortion. What preamps work with
> these? Are there
> bargains with Mackie, Crest, and QSC vs Aragon and McIntosh? Is
> reterminating high end cables
> for balanced input and outputs worth the aggravation? Thanks.

Crown as well as a lot of them tend to use a lot of feedback to make the amp
stable - though no doubt you can get a lot of amp for the money from them.
Accurate reproduction in a PA system is not job #1 - though it is up there -
a lot of people get started in Audiophile stuff with pro-gear because much
of it is better than the less carefully put together really low end stuff.
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 7:05:29 AM

On 5/12/04 7:36 PM, in article fyyoc.35607$z06.5588688@attbi_s01, "Philip
Meech" <macmeech@adelphia.net> wrote:

> Is
> reterminating high end cables
> for balanced input and outputs worth the aggravation?

Forgot to add - you *could* get Hosa balanced cables (pro cables) and use
them to see if it does what you want?
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 7:24:34 AM

Look at the Mackie M800 with no fan.

Bromo wrote:

> On 5/12/04 7:36 PM, in article fyyoc.35607$z06.5588688@attbi_s01, "Philip
> Meech" <macmeech@adelphia.net> wrote:
>

>>Do any of you have any experience using Professional Live Music amps in
>>home audio
>>systems? Specifically, I am curious about fans , XLR termination, 1/4"
>>terminations,
>>optical input and output, and low distortion. What preamps work with
>>these? Are there
>>bargains with Mackie, Crest, and QSC vs Aragon and McIntosh? Is
>>reterminating high end cables
>>for balanced input and outputs worth the aggravation? Thanks.
>>

> Crown as well as a lot of them tend to use a lot of feedback to make the amp
> stable - though no doubt you can get a lot of amp for the money from them.
> Accurate reproduction in a PA system is not job #1 - though it is up there -
> a lot of people get started in Audiophile stuff with pro-gear because much
> of it is better than the less carefully put together really low end stuff.

July 25, 2011 2:55:02 AM

Quote:

Do any of you have any experience using Professional Live Music amps in
home audio
systems? Specifically, I am curious about fans , XLR termination, 1/4"
terminations,
optical input and output, and low distortion. What preamps work with
these? Are there
bargains with Mackie, Crest, and QSC vs Aragon and McIntosh? Is
reterminating high end cables
for balanced input and outputs worth the aggravation? Thanks.

Have a Crown XLS 1500 powering the front two channels of my Home Theater Magnepans and they drink it all smooth as silk,,,crytsal clear and powerful,,price is so much better than audiphoile garb which is overhyped and marketed to those who have money to piss and are locked in the 70s technology.....prefer my money in equities.....the Crown solves all your hookup issues as well......rca inputs,,,,,and normal speaker wire....and np ground hum or balance issues.....and no fans.....
July 25, 2011 4:55:42 AM

PA speakes= good quality at loud volumes, at volumes that PA speakers can play, hifi speakers struggle,

PA speakers do not suffer from dynamic compression, where as hifi speakers suffer due to its tiny surrounds and its small magnets.

PA speakers can resolve mroe details, at loud volume, but at normal listening volume, hifi speakers can resolves so so much more.

PA speakers can be left on for 24/7, distorted signals take much longer to dmg PAs.

due to its efficiency PA speakres can be shaped using crossover designs and internal DSP circuits to have a flat frqunecy response.

PA speakers can change its freuquency response heftly by an eq, whereas HIFI will suffer in loss in quality, due to the modified response, being very differnet from its natural response. ( and dynamic compression due to its surrounds)

hifi speakers sound far more pleasant, wheras PA can be very uncormfatble to listen to at close range due to being very bright.

most PA designs use horns, for its tweet-mid, so dispersion is far much better, resulting in a much wider soundstage.

PA speakers are ugly, hifi speakers look good.

PA speakers can smash your chest due to its bass response, even at 40m.

due to its very good bass response, subs are mostly absent in clubs, and indoor arenas, cos they simply arent needed.

PA speakers are very expensive to reach the quality of a good hifi speaker.

PA speakers have the largest dynamic range.
July 25, 2011 6:53:36 AM

sounds like you know how to wrap the copper around the voice coil former :)
July 26, 2011 10:11:24 AM

:)  i watch lots of documentary and read how-to articles, and i took many speakers apart before :)  and still do.
July 26, 2011 12:27:59 PM

i know PA speakers can be a good example of when you apply some equalizer to the speakers.. the whole impedance curve shifts.

i have some headphones that do that.
if you raise more than one bar.. you can hear the whole frequency band changing around.

that makes it a good reason to try and flatten the frequency response with the crossovers.
different capacitors.. different metal for the choke.. or even different wires to connect the pieces together.
any one of them could help the frequency response, as long as the pieces are not numb to the replacement part (or vice-versa)
!