USB/firewire combo card

Bruinwar

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
A couple months ago I purchased a USB/Firewire combo card from Newegg.com.
As follows:
Koutech IO-FUTURE IO-PFU330 FIREWIRE/1394 + usb 2.0 COMBO PCI OEM

Installed it & it ran great. I used it for an external hard drive, flash drive, mouse, no problems at all. I was using Win98 at the time. Since then I had to upgrade to WinXP & got Pro. I loaded up XP & got the video drivers in & then proceeded to try & use my external drive where I had everything backed up & all my hardware drivers. As soon as I turned it on, Windows saw it & all, but the moment I tried to access it BAM! Instant reboot. Everytime I tried to access it. Acomdata 80 gig external USB/firewire drive.

To get all I needed off the drive, I pulled the card out & enabled the onboard USB1 & it installed & worked fine although very slow. After I got all I needed & downloaded over 100meg of patches from MS, everything seemed fat-n-happy so... I disabled the onboard USB & attempted to reinstall the 2.0 card. Still got the rebooting issue. So I RMA'd it & Newegg got the new card in my hands in 8 days (hats off to Newegg).

I still get the rebooting problem with the new card when trying to access the external drive. PLUS the USB mouse won't work (worked with 98SE). The flash drive is the only thing that appears to work. Accessing the drive with either USB or firewire causes the machine to reboot. I have tried the card in all avaiable PCI slots. Loaded the latest MB drivers. Tried it with the onboard USB enabled & not.

Anyone got any ideas? Unsure how Newegg will handle another RMA for the same issue.

System specs:

Soyo KT7 Dragon Plus VIA266A
AMD XP 1800+
1 gig RAM on 2 sticks Mushkin DDR
Gainward ti4200 Gforce4
SB128
Realtek NIC
Antec 400watt PS

TIA

regards
Joe S.

Bruinwar

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2003
My CD came with SP1 & I downloaded over 100 meg of patches from Windows Update. Good call though.

I am blaming it on a conflict bettween card, my motherboard, & WinXPpro. =/

Newegg has agreed to take the card back, full refund. woah, can't beat that! I got a choice, new 2.0/firewire card or a NEW MOTHERBOARD (& CPU o'course)!! Guess which one I am gonna get? I new MB will have USB & Firewire. I like the Gigabyte Nforce w/ RAID alot. =)

thanks for your reply anyhow. Who knows what the hell is wrong, I posted on 4 differnt forums, plus tech support at the vendor, no one has heard this.

alltaken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
yeah my brother got a USB external HDD case and it doesn't work on my XP at all.

it works fine on his XP in firewire mode, or in USB1.1 mode (due to his mouse being USB and slowing the whole usb port on his computer)

but on my computer it say new hardware found, but freezes whenever i try to enable it etc...

so it could possibly be USB drivers for my computer, or could be winXP being a poo bum towards external storage :(

Alltaken

<A HREF="http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz" target="_new">http://www.mud-puddle.co.nz</A> its where its all going on