Just got my UO 7th anniversay edition...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 23, 2004 5:11:12 PM

I played UO originally back when they release T2A and for approx. 2 years.

I left to try some other MMORPGS but longed to come back. A couple of years
ago I did come back briefly for a couple of months before work (and I
suppose my life) overtook me a little.

Ive recently purchased the 7th Anniversay edition and i want to get back
into UO in a big way, my question is which of the gifts shall i take.
Bearing in mind i am going to start a new account so ill be starting a new
character I probably wont hang on to the gifts ill sell it, which one will
give me the most initial income?

More about : 7th anniversay edition

Anonymous
August 23, 2004 5:11:13 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:11:12 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:

>I played UO originally back when they release T2A and for approx. 2 years.
>
>I left to try some other MMORPGS but longed to come back. A couple of years
>ago I did come back briefly for a couple of months before work (and I
>suppose my life) overtook me a little.
>
>Ive recently purchased the 7th Anniversay edition and i want to get back
>into UO in a big way, my question is which of the gifts shall i take.
>Bearing in mind i am going to start a new account so ill be starting a new
>character I probably wont hang on to the gifts ill sell it, which one will
>give me the most initial income?

Why start a new account? Your old one might just have a few
anniversary gifts on it and it'll probably have some old stuff that
may have become rare and valuable while you were gone.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
August 23, 2004 5:51:42 PM

"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:11:12 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:
>

> Why start a new account? Your old one might just have a few
> anniversary gifts on it and it'll probably have some old stuff that
> may have become rare and valuable while you were gone.
>
> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

Do you think? Will i get 30 days free gametime tho?
August 23, 2004 5:51:43 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:51:42 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:11:12 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>> Why start a new account? Your old one might just have a few
>> anniversary gifts on it and it'll probably have some old stuff that
>> may have become rare and valuable while you were gone.
>>
>> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>
>Do you think? Will i get 30 days free gametime tho?

I didn't get any free gametime when I upgraded my accounts with AOS or
7AE. But if your old account is still there (and AFAIK they have never
purged any) then you might have some rewards like ethereal pets or house
decor you can choose. Unless you call EA and they can tell you, I don't
think there is any way to find out if you have rewards coming though. I
don't think any of the yearly rewards can be turned into more gold than
the 7AE ones either.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
August 23, 2004 5:51:43 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:51:42 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:11:12 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>> Why start a new account? Your old one might just have a few
>> anniversary gifts on it and it'll probably have some old stuff that
>> may have become rare and valuable while you were gone.
>>
>> Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>
>Do you think? Will i get 30 days free gametime tho?

You won't have the 30 days gametime if you just use the upgrade code
but I still think it's worth re-opening the old one. If it were me I'd
still re-open the old account. Starting totally from scratch is a pain
and if you have a couple hundred thousand gold stashed away you could
get yourself a house right off the bat.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
August 23, 2004 6:20:52 PM

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:51:42 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:

> I didn't get any free gametime when I upgraded my accounts with AOS or
> 7AE. But if your old account is still there (and AFAIK they have never
> purged any) then you might have some rewards like ethereal pets or house
> decor you can choose. Unless you call EA and they can tell you, I don't
> think there is any way to find out if you have rewards coming though. I
> don't think any of the yearly rewards can be turned into more gold than
> the 7AE ones either.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

I really dont know what to do - i think im going to set up a new account - i
want to start fresh cos AFAIK the game has changed an immense amount since i
was last playing and it will probably do me good to re-learn the game again.

I quite fancy being a Blacksmith - good choice?
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 6:20:53 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:20:52 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:51:42 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't get any free gametime when I upgraded my accounts with AOS or
>> 7AE. But if your old account is still there (and AFAIK they have never
>> purged any) then you might have some rewards like ethereal pets or house
>> decor you can choose. Unless you call EA and they can tell you, I don't
>> think there is any way to find out if you have rewards coming though. I
>> don't think any of the yearly rewards can be turned into more gold than
>> the 7AE ones either.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Cecil
>> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
>
>I really dont know what to do - i think im going to set up a new account - i
>want to start fresh cos AFAIK the game has changed an immense amount since i
>was last playing and it will probably do me good to re-learn the game again.
>
>I quite fancy being a Blacksmith - good choice?

If you're starting completely fresh I'd make myself a newbie paladin
to hunt with and make money. Make a second character to be your
blacksmith because unless you can afford to buy ingots you're going to
be spending a lot of time mining which really isn't a whole lot of
fun. :)

Be aware though that being a smith isn't like it was in the old days.
Nobody wants player made armor or weapons anymore unless they're made
with runic hammers which are terribly rare and expensive.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:06:09 PM

On 23 Aug 2004 18:17:21 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria)
wrote:

>>I really dont know what to do - i think im going to set up a new account - i
>>want to start fresh cos AFAIK the game has changed an immense amount since i
>>was last playing and it will probably do me good to re-learn the game again.
<snip>

>Just my thoughts, though...i'd really suggest reopening, just to make the wait
>time between getting and selling a gift a little less annoying.
>
>~Cyrus of Sosaria~

Actually, I thought of another good reason to reopen the old account.
With a new one he'd have to actually wait THREE years before he can
ride an ethereal. Even if his old account doesnt have any gifts coming
to it cutting down the wait time for that is a good idea.

Oh and the +5 skill cap increase per year. I don't know what I'd do if
I had to chop 20 skill points off my characters at this point.

Aside from having [young] status there's nothing a new account can do
that an old one can't anyway. He can still do the newbie quests just
fine if he creates a new character with one of the templates.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 7:38:21 PM

Lee wrote:
> "Reg LeCrisp" <x@x.x> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:11:12 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>Why start a new account? Your old one might just have a few
>>anniversary gifts on it and it'll probably have some old stuff that
>>may have become rare and valuable while you were gone.
>>
>>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>

> Do you think? Will i get 30 days free gametime tho?

If I could have reactivated my old account I would have chosen
that over a free month.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 9:10:28 PM

Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>I don't think any of the yearly rewards can be turned into more
>gold than the 7AE ones either.

Ethys fetch a pretty good price, but other than that, no.

Derek

(Who is just 3 months short of 36 mos, and wondering how in hell he's
going to be able to afford the 3-4 ethys he needs.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Anonymous

"Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:
>Ive recently purchased the 7th Anniversay edition and i want to get back
>into UO in a big way, my question is which of the gifts shall i take.
>Bearing in mind i am going to start a new account so ill be starting a new
>character I probably wont hang on to the gifts ill sell it, which one will
>give me the most initial income?

If you are playing LS, we can come to an understanding on the Rose Of
Trinnsic.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 10:03:36 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:35:02 -0400, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>If you're starting completely fresh I'd make myself a newbie paladin
>to hunt with and make money. Make a second character to be your
>blacksmith because unless you can afford to buy ingots you're going to
>be spending a lot of time mining which really isn't a whole lot of
>fun. :)

I'd agree with this. Mining is soooo boring. I GM'd my smith mostly
using resmelted bits of armor and weapons I got from fighting monsters
with my other characters.

>Be aware though that being a smith isn't like it was in the old days.
>Nobody wants player made armor or weapons anymore unless they're made
>with runic hammers which are terribly rare and expensive.

Yeah, there's no way to honestly earn runic hammers. You have to cheat
and play the Bulk Order Deed game. Something that seems completely OOC to
me so I still refuse to do it. (I did find a bag of 200 runic hammers in
a decayed house though.)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
August 23, 2004 11:57:26 PM

>> Yeah, there's no way to honestly earn runic hammers. You have to cheat
> and play the Bulk Order Deed game. Something that seems completely OOC to
> me so I still refuse to do it. (I did find a bag of 200 runic hammers in
> a decayed house though.)

200 hammers?? No wonder you don't do bods!

*gets on high horse*

Not everyone has 12 smiths!! What you DO need is the patience of a saint, as
time and time again you pick up rubbish smithing bods, while the tailors of
this world pull in good stuff on a regular basis.

*gets off*

Smithing is all about enhancing at this stage in UO...I find putting
together the pieces of a suit fun actually, but it's clearly not to
everyone's taste. Pb 26 has actually got me out of the forge and back in the
saddle again, trying to find bits to break in the forge :)

Archeon
August 24, 2004 12:10:21 AM

"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
> >I don't think any of the yearly rewards can be turned into more
> >gold than the 7AE ones either.
>
> Ethys fetch a pretty good price, but other than that, no.
>
> Derek
>
> (Who is just 3 months short of 36 mos, and wondering how in hell he's
> going to be able to afford the 3-4 ethys he needs.)

Sorry to say this, but wait for 48 and get the Unicorn...it is really
beautiful. I made the serious error of getting a Ki-rin as well, which looks
like one of those horses on an old fairground ride. I heard that they may be
dyeable (?) with the statue dye tub being talked of a while back? Maube that
would make a difference, as they are a grey colour.

Archeon
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 12:21:53 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:57:26 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
wrote:

>"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Yeah, there's no way to honestly earn runic hammers. You have to cheat
>> and play the Bulk Order Deed game. Something that seems completely OOC to
>> me so I still refuse to do it. (I did find a bag of 200 runic hammers in
>> a decayed house though.)
>
>200 hammers?? No wonder you don't do bods!

No, only about 100 hammers. Typo. I've used up some. It's annoying the
weird bonus combinations you get. Too bad you can just specify what you
want and maybe pay more somehow to get it.
*remembers custom weapon from Alternate Reality: The Dungeon fondly*

>Smithing is all about enhancing at this stage in UO...I find putting
>together the pieces of a suit fun actually, but it's clearly not to

I hate mismatched armor. I want a jar of armor paint.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
August 24, 2004 4:13:01 AM

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:57:26 +0100, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> and play the Bulk Order Deed game. Something that seems completely OOC
> >> me so I still refuse to do it. (I did find a bag of 200 runic hammers
in
> >> a decayed house though.)
> >
> >200 hammers?? No wonder you don't do bods!
>
> No, only about 100 hammers. Typo. I've used up some. It's annoying the
> weird bonus combinations you get. Too bad you can just specify what you
> want and maybe pay more somehow to get it.
> *remembers custom weapon from Alternate Reality: The Dungeon fondly*
>
> >Smithing is all about enhancing at this stage in UO...I find putting
> >together the pieces of a suit fun actually, but it's clearly not to
>
> I hate mismatched armor. I want a jar of armor paint.

Yeah, I normally end up wearing a robe to hide the scarecrow look...

Archeon
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 4:38:14 AM

cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

>You can either sell the bush outright, or wait and gather it's petals overtime,
>and sell them to people who, for whatever bizarre reason, love the
>things...(for me, i'd take a Strength potion anyday, effect lasts about the
>same amount of time, and you get a much better stat boost from even the low
>level str pot.)

However, to use potions you have to disarm, and they don't stack.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:15:35 PM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 14:20:52 +0100, "Lee" <nochance@nospam.com> wrote:

>I really dont know what to do - i think im going to set up a new account - i
>want to start fresh cos AFAIK the game has changed an immense amount since i
>was last playing and it will probably do me good to re-learn the game again.
>
>I quite fancy being a Blacksmith - good choice?

If you really want to start fresh, open the old account and delete all
your characters. Bingo, just like new. The age of your account has
value, even if you don't realize it yet. Others have mentioned very
good reasons for this.

IIRC, the Welcome Back promo has a (14 or30) day game time code, the
7AE box has buddy codes that give a (14 or 30) day game code. If you
insist on a [young] account, I'm sure that creative use of the codes
you already have will allow you to both re-open old account, and
create new account.

Be very cautious with your 7AE upgrade code! It only works on one
account, and it is your reward code as well.
August 24, 2004 6:30:33 PM

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

> If I could have reactivated my old account I would have chosen
> that over a free month.

Im seriously considering opening my old account again now... decisions
decisions
August 24, 2004 6:30:55 PM

> If you are playing LS, we can come to an understanding on the Rose Of
> Trinnsic.
>
> D.
> --
> Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Europa, sorry!
August 24, 2004 11:36:05 PM

"Cyrus of Sosaria" <cystocot4@cs.com> wrote in message
> >However, to use potions you have to disarm, and they don't stack.
> >

> Eh, just drop your off hand item into your pack(though if you're using a
two
> hander, it could be a pain), there's even disarm macros built into UO
itself to
> help out.
> The stacking thing is why i saw a reason to go with the pots, but
seriously...a
> Strength potion gives +10, a greater gives +15...if you think you're going
> need them, you'll make the room...if the rose lasted a slightly longer
amount
> of time and gave at least +10, it'd be alot more useful...
>
> (+5 str just isn't worth the outrageous prices some people have been
charging
> for the petals...occasionally see stacks of 25 for 50k...)
>
> *shrugs*
> ~Cyrus of Sosaria~

Hmmm... I was selling some for a friend at 500 gp per petal, and even that
seemed a bit steep. Maybe I need to advertise more, especially if Holiday
Timepieces(see above) are selling! Found 40-odd in a house collapse and
can't bring myself to throw them away on case they're worth money

Archeon
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 8:22:15 PM

"WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
> If I could have reactivated my old account I would have chosen
> that over a free month.

How come you could not reactive your old account? Did the account get perma
banned from scamming your fellow players?

!