Sign in with
Your question

Please Help Me Network

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
October 7, 2001 11:42:55 PM

Dear Forum Gurus:

I am thinking about networking my house to share the verizon DSL line we have on one computer. I really haven't tried to network before so I am a newbie to this, but I believe I need to purchase a router to split the signal as it comes from the modem? I might not have been descriptive enough earlier. I have one modem and only one IP address is allowed on the account. I need to know how to set up about 4 connections if possible. Any insight as to what steps I might take will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

More about : network

October 8, 2001 1:30:44 AM

Technically you don't have to buy a cable/dsl router. But IMHO it's a hell of a lot easier if you do. Just get yourself something like the Linksys BEFSR41 and a NIC for each PC, then follow the instructions that come with the Linksys. In most cases you won't even have to configure the Cable/DSL router. Except, if you use Verizon DSL you'll have to input your username and password for PPPoE (the thing you're now accomplishing with WinPoet). BTW - once you setup your router you can uninstall WinPoet.

Good luck, and enjoy

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
October 9, 2001 1:05:00 AM

I am also a newbie to networking. I tried a D-link router STAY AWAY FROM THEM. Not for newbies at all. I use the Linksys befsr41 it was a piece of cake to set up. The only problem I had was addressed by tech support on the first call. Tech support for linksys is 24/7 too. If you can read and follow instructions its the only way to go :) 

If you see a turtle on top of a fence post,
It's a good bet somebody, put him up there.
October 10, 2001 2:07:19 PM

I'm curious what problems with the d-link did you have which model ??I use a di-704 from them and it has worked flawlessly on my 2 systems for a month now and setup was accomplished in under 10 minutes

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>
!