Atlantic Population?

On Baja, where my main chars live, I am often the only person in the
Solen Ant Hills. I can spend hours down there and only see the
occasional tamer or seed quester.

On Atlantic, my mage wasn't strong enough to go down there till after
the latest pub. Now that I am able to hunt there, it seems as though
every spawn, even workers, is staked out all evening.

Is this normal for Atlantic, or is this the result of the increased
loot drops?

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:41:37 -0500, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net>
wrote:

>On Baja, where my main chars live, I am often the only person in the
>Solen Ant Hills. I can spend hours down there and only see the
>occasional tamer or seed quester.
>
>On Atlantic, my mage wasn't strong enough to go down there till after
>the latest pub. Now that I am able to hunt there, it seems as though
>every spawn, even workers, is staked out all evening.
>
>Is this normal for Atlantic, or is this the result of the increased
>loot drops?

Well, Atlantic was always the most populated shard. It was the first
shard and being up in the dense US northeast certainly helped it become
crowded.

All the places I hunt were popular before the loot changes and remain
popular now. The only difference is people leave loot on the ground and
clutter the places up.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:17:00 GMT, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:41:37 -0500, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Baja, where my main chars live, I am often the only person in the
>>Solen Ant Hills. I can spend hours down there and only see the
>>occasional tamer or seed quester.
>>
>>On Atlantic, my mage wasn't strong enough to go down there till after
>>the latest pub. Now that I am able to hunt there, it seems as though
>>every spawn, even workers, is staked out all evening.
>>
>>Is this normal for Atlantic, or is this the result of the increased
>>loot drops?
>
>Well, Atlantic was always the most populated shard. It was the first
>shard and being up in the dense US northeast certainly helped it become
>crowded.
>
>All the places I hunt were popular before the loot changes and remain
>popular now. The only difference is people leave loot on the ground and
>clutter the places up.

Did you know you can't put the ore back inside the bug? Too heavy! I
try tidying up when I take over a spawn, even if just for a short
time, but it's not always possible.

If the log in screen is to be believed, I get my best connection on
Atlantic. I'm not opposed to a higher number of players, better
chance of meeting some nice people I expect, but not if it's going to
mean a struggle to stakeout a favorite spawn.

Is that too much to expect? I have 4 or 5 favorites, and I want at
least one of them to be available. Perhaps I should move to another
shard. I may have a look at GL and LS this weekend.

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:34:17 -0500, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net>
wrote:

>Did you know you can't put the ore back inside the bug? Too heavy! I
>try tidying up when I take over a spawn, even if just for a short
>time, but it's not always possible.
>
>If the log in screen is to be believed, I get my best connection on
>Atlantic. I'm not opposed to a higher number of players, better
>chance of meeting some nice people I expect, but not if it's going to
>mean a struggle to stakeout a favorite spawn.

My best connection is to the AOL shard! Next comes Atlantic. I have a
feeling they're at the same location and AOL is just first because it's
first alphabetically.

>Is that too much to expect? I have 4 or 5 favorites, and I want at
>least one of them to be available. Perhaps I should move to another
>shard. I may have a look at GL and LS this weekend.

Well, I mostly solo these days but I guess I like to see other players in
the game, even if they are in "my" favorite spawn locations. Oh well,
you'll have to find a shard you like if Atlantic is too crowded. I guess
I like it crowded after all this time.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:32:51 GMT, Polychromic
<macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:34:17 -0500, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net>
>wrote:

>>Is that too much to expect? I have 4 or 5 favorites, and I want at
>>least one of them to be available. Perhaps I should move to another
>>shard. I may have a look at GL and LS this weekend.
>
>Well, I mostly solo these days but I guess I like to see other players in
>the game, even if they are in "my" favorite spawn locations. Oh well,
>you'll have to find a shard you like if Atlantic is too crowded. I guess
>I like it crowded after all this time.

I don't know yet if it is _too_ crowded. Certainly more players
than I am accustomed to seeing.

If this is hype over the increase in loot, then I shall weather
it out. If this is the norm, then I will branch out to yet
another shard, and reserve my time on Atlantic for when a crowd
won't hinder me.

I spent some time on Baja over the weekend, and the ant hills
were similarly crowded there. I know that's outside the norm, so
it all could be loot hype that will die off after a while. Time
will tell.

Thanks for answering.

Not sure how populated Great Lakes is compared to Atlantic. Try it out and
see. Be warned though. If your in fel and see anyone with a BC guild tag.
RUNNN!!!! There will be about 10 more that are RED on the way. lol

Sticky

"Jaeger Prelac" <jprelac@softhome.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:32:51 GMT, Polychromic
> <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:34:17 -0500, Jaeger Prelac <jprelac@softhome.net>
> >wrote:
>
> >>Is that too much to expect? I have 4 or 5 favorites, and I want at
> >>least one of them to be available. Perhaps I should move to another
> >>shard. I may have a look at GL and LS this weekend.
> >
> >Well, I mostly solo these days but I guess I like to see other players in
> >the game, even if they are in "my" favorite spawn locations. Oh well,
> >you'll have to find a shard you like if Atlantic is too crowded. I guess
> >I like it crowded after all this time.
>
> I don't know yet if it is _too_ crowded. Certainly more players
> than I am accustomed to seeing.
>
> If this is hype over the increase in loot, then I shall weather
> it out. If this is the norm, then I will branch out to yet
> another shard, and reserve my time on Atlantic for when a crowd
> won't hinder me.
>
> I spent some time on Baja over the weekend, and the ant hills
> were similarly crowded there. I know that's outside the norm, so
> it all could be loot hype that will die off after a while. Time
> will tell.
>
> Thanks for answering.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:02:44 -0400, "Sticky_314"
<sticky_314@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Not sure how populated Great Lakes is compared to Atlantic. Try it out and
>see. Be warned though. If your in fel and see anyone with a BC guild tag.
>RUNNN!!!! There will be about 10 more that are RED on the way. lol

And this differs from other shards in what way?

I'm a Trammelite, and I'm not shy about admitting it. I don't
care for PvP, and wouldn't measure up even if I wanted to, so
that aspect doesn't affect me. I'll have a look at GL when one
weekend.

I had a good time Sunday on Atlantic. I didn't have to count to
know that there were a lot more people logged in than I am used
to seeing. Despite that, I still got some quality time alone
with the spiders, ran a few Sollen Quests, and even teamed up
with a newbie tamer to get some bugs.

I really gotta get out of those ant hills someday.

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:02:44 -0400, "Sticky_314"
> <sticky_314@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Not sure how populated Great Lakes is compared to Atlantic. Try it out
and
> >see. Be warned though. If your in fel and see anyone with a BC guild tag.
> >RUNNN!!!! There will be about 10 more that are RED on the way. lol
>
> And this differs from other shards in what way?

True. I was just giving some common curtosy (or however you spell it) is
all. GL does have the largest guild across UO though. And that would be the
BC guild, or Black Company. 2/3 -3/4 of its almost 500 memembers are red.

> I'm a Trammelite, and I'm not shy about admitting it. I don't
> care for PvP, and wouldn't measure up even if I wanted to, so
> that aspect doesn't affect me. I'll have a look at GL when one
> weekend.

I'm in that same boat myself.