Sign in with
Your question

need help getting the best sound card

Last response: in Components
November 13, 2003 4:02:29 AM

I want the best 7.1 sound card to play surround sound games on my pc.

I was thinking of getting the creative sound blaster audigy 2 zs. But what about the Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 and Digifire 7.1? Are those better then the audigy 2 zs?

I have a game called call of duty. On the box it says that it sounds best on sound blaster 24 bit advanced HD. So this will not work on the Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 and Digifire 7.1 right?

I read the thead called "Best Sound Card for Gaming" right on this page. But I still don't know what sound card is the best. Some say it's the audigy 2 zs other say it's junk.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/13/03 01:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : sound card

November 13, 2003 7:39:48 AM

I'll give it to you straight.
The Audigy 2 ZS is a good card, its up there with the best of them for a gaming and overall sound card.
Would I recommend one to a friend?
NO!
Reason is, many of us (including myself) have found that the issues pertaining to the SB Live! cards were never fixed with the Audigy 1/2 release. Creative has never been good at supporting their cards and their drivers/compatibility.
Its basically a history of poor product support that I could write a book on.

That being said, if you bought one and it works fine from day one, congrats you have a nice card.. at least the ZS is.

If you want a card with sound quality that is equal to a ZS (and better in music playback), the M-Audio Revolution is available. That is my next soundcard.
There is some negativity going on about this card too, but this card has functional great drivers and arent bloatware like the sound blasters.
I've been emailing a friend who needs money that wants to get rid of his recently.
I currently use and Audigy 1, I've had the same problems with this card as my Live! card had. I wish I had the luxury and peace of mind to try out a ZS in my computer but do you know how ridiculous it would be for me to buy one to only experience the same problems that many have said STILL exist on the Audigy 2 series?

You have to draw the line somewhere between bad support and plain old screwing over customers.

The Revolution would certainly be considered equal to a ZS if not better IMHO.
For the record I have not heard a ZS, but I have heard an Audigy 2 and the differences are slight I can name them for you.. slightly better DACs and better drivers.
Better drivers I say?
Yes, if you install ZS drivers on a plain ole Audigy 2 the sound improves.
Creative is making better drivers for newer products while saying 'screw the old stuff'. Thanks Creative..
And guess what product is next on the chopping block? The ZS.
So then every ZS owner gets the fun of hacking the new Audigy3 drivers to run on their ZS/Audigy 2/Audigy 1.

On the other hand you can take a safe bet with a real audiophile company and get the M-Audio Revolution.
Their last driver update was 10/6!
I know there was a recent Creative update but lets see how many more M-Audio puts out and when the next time Creative will support their cards.

Also, the Revo doesnt have EAX3.0 support. I want you to know that my current audigy has EAX3 (advanced hd) support and it sounds no different than EAX2 imho.
My suggestion would be to turn off EAX extensions all together and just use the DS3D (direct sound 3d, which is what EAX extensions are based off of anyway). All sound positioning is done through DS3D calls anyway. In fact if you never want to go Creative again that is fine as they have stated they believe crappy DS3D calls are 'good enough' for games.
Someday a competitor might come back (like A3D) and show that lazy company how its done but until then just dont support them.

EAX adds additional reverb for whatever room your in, thats it.
It doesnt add to the experience, but if you do like it EAX2 is good.
When I got my Audigy card and tried out the tech demos for EAX3 I was like "oh wow this is great" /sarcasm.
It really sucks to put it bluntly.

EAX is a Creative technology, about 5 years behind the times and not worth fretting over.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>
November 13, 2003 6:23:50 PM

Where could I buy the M-Audio Revolution?

In stores like these:?

Best Buy
Babbages
Comp USA
Circuit City
Electronics Boutique
Fry's Electronics
Futureshop
Staples
Radio shack

And can I just buy any home theather 7.1 sourround sound speakers made by panasonic for example?

I can't find some thought. I tried a google search and only found home theather speakers that go up to 6.1. Can you tell me where on the web I can find 7.1s???
Related resources
November 13, 2003 7:03:29 PM

You could get one at some of those stores. I'd get one at newegg though.

I wouldnt worry too much about 7.1, as long as you get 4.1 or higher your ok.
When you start messing with 7.1 you have alot of speakers and you almost need a special room for them.. mounting and positioning becomes a pain too.

I use a 4.1 (logitech z560s) and theres not much difference between those and 5.1s. If your going to watch movies getting 5.1 might be somewhat useful.

I just pulled out my audigy, call of duty was freezing with a loud squeal using it and now I'm using 2channel onboard. :/ 

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
November 13, 2003 7:13:47 PM

With M-Audio Revolution surround sound can come out of all the 7.1 speakers in pc games currently released right? Or am I totaly wrong?

If I'm right well I don't care about the pain 7.1 speakers gives me. And I live on my own so I don't care about the wires all over the place.

Can you link me to a place where I can found home theather 7.1 speakers please?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/13/03 04:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 13, 2003 7:46:06 PM

Yes I believe it will spread itself over all channels in games.

As far as home theatre I dont know.. check into <A HREF="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jX27Omd1BjS/" target="_new">Crutchfield</A>.

Otherwise the Klipsch (5.1) or Logitechs (have a cheaper 6.1)are your best choice if you want an integrated setup. But sounds like you want something a little higher end, check out Crutchfield they offer good stuff that isnt priced out of this world.
You could go for some Martin Logans or other ultra high end but your getting into major money and its not worth it IMO.

The Revo is definitely the best choice if thats what you want to do with your PC.

----
November 13, 2003 9:48:33 PM

With the M-Audio Revolution will I need a receiver connected to it to play in 7.1 surround sound?
November 14, 2003 1:02:40 AM

You're going to need some kind of amplifier. With speakers from crutchfield they need more power than that sound card will put out.

I think DVD output is limited to 6.1 but I'm not sure
heres the <A HREF="http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/revolution.php" target="_new">webpage</A>.
You are probably going to have to run from the digital out to your reciever.. I'm not entirely versed in home theatre setups though.

----
November 14, 2003 3:30:43 AM

The audigy 2 zs has a + side because it doesn't need any receivers. Just thought of mentioning this. I think I'm still doing a good decision to buy the M-Audio Revolution though.

What do you guys think?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/14/03 00:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 14, 2003 3:48:48 AM

Both are going to need amplification if your not going to use a set of 'computer speakers' like the logitech z680s.

When I think reciever I think amplifier as well as decoder.
Both do decoding on board..

----
November 14, 2003 3:54:42 AM

I thought a receiver and a amplifier were differente things. I guess I was wrong.

Your saying that an amplifier can also do the decoding for surround sound? I thought a amplifier only gives more power to speakers.
November 14, 2003 4:44:13 AM

I know more about computers than home theatre stuff but yes. A receiver is generally a amplifier as well as the decoder.

Both of those cards decode Dolby Digital and all the variations of it.
It can expand it out to the full 7.1 or down to even 4.1 or 2.1 speakers.

You arent going to find a 7.1 channel reciever that doesnt do dolby digital decoding. Not when you get that high end.

I'm a little confused myself on how dolby digital works because I dont use it. I just watch my downloaded movies in 2.1 (because thats what most of them only support) and watch movies on my tv with its speakers.
My computer is just a 4.1 gaming machine and mp3 player. :smile:

But I think the digital out on the audigy cards is proprietary, meaning it will only work with their speakers, namely the Creative line of speakers. You might be able to get some kind of converter to use the same plug the Revolution uses.

It depends on how much your willing to spend. If your getting an audigy and want 7.1, Creative offers a 7.1 package.
If you want the revo and want 7.1 I think the best bet is a real full stereo setup like you are looking for.

I'd recommend the Logitech Z680s with a revo personally if you want movies. You're not going to get 7.1 but I have no interest in 6.1/7.1.. when does that ever stop ya know?
And when your talking GOOD 6.1/7.1 it gets up there in the money, namely the amps get ever more expensive and good speakers never come cheap.

----
November 15, 2003 4:42:39 AM

If you are looking for a gaming card then get the Audigy 2 ZS, $83 at newegg.com. Don't listen to Kinney, just because he's had some problems with Creative he's trying to get others not to buy SB either. I have the ZS and it is awesome paired with Logitech Z680 speakers. The M-Audio Revolution is a great card, specially for music, but the ZS handles music very well and has an advantage in games. The ZS is also cheaper than the M-Audio.
November 15, 2003 11:02:57 AM

I am glad to hear about the good review, because i just ordered this card a couple of days ago and since it gets 5 stars from most people(esp..on an ASUS mobo ) i don't think I will be disapointed.My old motherboard had the basic Soundblaster on board and it was awesome without any new card and a 3 way speaker system. I am oping for the 6.1 7700's from Creative which they say go very well with this card. At around the $80.00 price range this is a great deal.
November 15, 2003 1:14:24 PM

Once you realize EAX sucks theres no reason to buy sound blaster.
Theres more stable, better sounding cards out there.

The problem is M-Audio is a professional audiophile company reaching down into the consumer market with a reasonably priced card and Creative is a bottom barrel budget maker trying to go up.

Both are good. But creatives technical issues are a problem for me and lots of other live/audigy users.

----
November 15, 2003 10:40:27 PM

Actually EAX kicks ass. I have played Soldier Of Fortune 2, Max Payne 2, Jedi Knights Outcast 2, Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, Rainbow Six: Raven Shield, Call of Duty. All work flawlessly, you get totally immersed in the game. The card and drivers are totally stable, no crashes and no problems. There is NO better sounding sound card when it comes to games, PERIOD. Now, you can keep bashing Creative all you want but that's the bottom line. Heck, you don't even own a Audigy 2 ZS so you don't even have a frame of reference to be making a judgement.
November 16, 2003 12:36:40 AM

Sorry I dont upgrade to every Creative card put out every 6months so I wouldnt have a ZS. With some new crappy EAX algorithms. But I do own an Audigy for my frame of reference, the only additions the ZS has is better DACs and true 24/198khz output like the audigy1 was advertised to have.

Obviously you have never heard A3D 2.0.
The sound positioning your hearing is Direct Sound 3D, not EAX.
EAX is an overlay on DS3D, reverb effects for different environments that compliment the positioning of the bullets ect. that any DS3D compliant card can process.

----
November 16, 2003 1:13:27 AM

Again, more bullshit!! Audigy1 is not anywhere near Audigy 2 ZS, there have been many improvements since the Audigy 1 and it's not only the DACs and 24/198khz output. All I know is that the card does what it's supposed to do and does it well, creates amazing surround sound atmosphere in games. In addition to flawless mp3, CD-Audio, and DVD-Audio playback. Not to mention Dolby Digital and DTS decoding with movies.

Quote:
Sorry I dont upgrade to every Creative card put out every 6months so I wouldnt have a ZS.

You don't have a ZS so you can't judge it, end of story. Just because you had problems with your ancient Audigy1 DOES NOT mean someone should avoid the Audigy2 ZS.

Quote:
EAX is an overlay on DS3D, reverb effects for different environments that compliment the positioning of the bullets ect. that any DS3D compliant card can process.

That is not true, other cards try to emulate EAX which is not always successful nor accurate.
November 16, 2003 2:31:54 AM

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is not true, other cards try to emulate EAX which is not always successful nor accurate.

Yes it is true noob.

Quote:
Just because you had problems with your ancient Audigy1 DOES NOT mean someone should avoid the Audigy2 ZS.

Ancient?
Theres people all over the net reporting the same problems with audigy2s that they had with their lives and audigy1s.

I'm not saying the audigy2zs isnt a good sounding card im saying its not worth buying for many reasons.

----
November 16, 2003 6:10:05 AM

Still such a heated debate about the Creative Audio Cards.
I posted in the previous thread about how my A2-ZS card installed without a hitch. It did and gaming audio was excellent. I had a difficult time getting the DTS/DD 5.1 decoders to work. I needed to use a PC-DVD Player (I have a copy of Power DVD 3.0) that has the ability to configure the digital audio out to SPDIF. If wave is used the DD5.1 or DTS decoders will not work. I had to figure this out by picking other people brains and trial and error. Shame on Creative for not explaining this and not providing a DVD player to allow the decoders to work out of the box. It works now and hope this helps others with this issue. Other than this, I have been happy with this card. I especially like the DVD Audio decoders that this A2-ZS has.
There has been a lot of confusion about the digital out on the back of the card. I have it connected to the digital input of my denon receiver. I get 5.1 DD and DTS signal from the A2 only when I have disabled internal decoders and enable SPDIF passthrough. Any other time the digital out seems to be 2 channel PCM only. I use the analog outs for all gaming/mp3/CD/DVD-A if I want multichannel audio. I can use the analog or digital for 5.1 DD/DTS. There is some proprietary function with this digital out that works with only their digital speakers when used for gaming and DVD-A. Fat chance I would buy in for this scam. I use the analog outs as I mentioned.

I don't want to get dragged into the fray with anti-Creative members here but this Audigy-ZS has a lot of features and performance worth considering. On the flip side Creative could do a better job addressing issues for customers present and past.

Good luck with your search.
November 16, 2003 10:50:52 AM

the best quality for entertainment, you have no choise but audigy2zs.

http://www.mp3.com/dxl ASUS A7N8X, xp3200+ (218x10.5), 2xKINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB(218mhz, at 2 3 3 7) segate 120g 8mb ATA100 segate 80g 2mb ATA100, Creamware pulsar2, ATI9800pro 128mb, audigy2zs
November 16, 2003 5:17:33 PM

lol my thread is going to start a war.

It's really confusing to know witch sound card to buy. I should start a poll. OR FLIP A COIN

Maybe I'll go with the audigy 2 zs. It sounds alittle cooler lol lol

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/16/03 02:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 16, 2003 5:53:52 PM

What tweeter said is all true and an unbiased look at the ZS.

All I'm saying is this- I've been posting here for a long time, I think of the regulars here as friends and I would never recommend something that I consider a subpar product and using my judgement to spend 100s of dollars (or whatever kind of currency they use) on something that has a high liklihood of not working correctly.
Thats just how I do things and why I'm saying what I say.

I have no problem with anyone getting a ZS, go ahead but it doenst have my endorsement, and I've trouble shooted audigy 1/2s for hours upon hours, there are no fixes for some issues.

The audigy2zs has better dacs, better drivers, more features but its still based on the audigy chip. I doubt problems with the audigy2 were fixed in the audigy2zs, they havent been fixed from the live cards so why now?
I'm giving it more time to watch for those issues to pop back up before I ever consider one.

I use an audigy myself right now, I try to play simpsons hit and run and it is snapping and popping away in it.

I've been looking to alternatives to the sound blasters, there really isnt alot but I'm eyeing the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 3 7.1 right now.

I'll just say this, if you've used sound blasters successfully before in your system go for it if you want it. If not you might want to reconsider.

----
November 16, 2003 8:02:38 PM

It's not really clear to me if I can get 7.1 surround sound with home theather 7.1 speakers, panasonic for example with the audigy 2 zs

Creative support told me that home theather speakers need to provide discreet 7.1 or needs software to do the upmix. It's not clear to me what that means, and what I need. Can someone explain to me?

Can I find speakers like this in stores like future shop, international stereo etc.... for example?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/16/03 05:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 16, 2003 8:31:08 PM

Discrete 7.1 IMO would mean to have the full 7 speakers and the sub. Otherwise you would need software to do the upmixing of the 7.1 surround into lesser setups like 5.1/6.1.

There is no packaged 7.1 speaker setups besides Creatives that I know of.
The problem with creatives, and i might be repeating info here, is that they use a proprietary digital input plug. If you buy digital 7.1 creative speakers your stuck with using a creative soundcard if you want the digital sound, and vice versa.

You can build your own 7.1 setup, you'd have to go thru some company like best buy or ultimate electronics or crutchfield to get a 7.1 reciever, then 7.1 speakers ect.

I'm not a fan of 7.1 or 6.1, even 5.1 unless your watching movies on your PC.

Thats what they call HTPC (home theatre PC), and the best card for that is the Revolution 7.1, its from a professional audio company (M-Audio) and has the standard digital out plug that works with all recievers.

If you want 7.1 thats the way to go seriously. If you are going to go with 5.1/4.1 then the AudigyZS and others are something to look into.. but we all know how I feel about picking that one! :smile:

And in the honest truth, in games you really cant hear much of a difference between a Revolution/ZS league card and a Fortissimo/Soundstorm if you are using midrange to budget speakers.

For instance on my Z560s, I couldnt tell the difference in games between my audigy and my friends revolution.. the speakers just arent good enough. I personally dont think the klipsch lines are good enough to make a large difference.
Now with $200 headphones (Grado,Koss,Sennheiser) with a $100+ dollar headphone amp the difference is quite noticable.

I'm perfectly happy with 4.1 as I just want to get the surround sound out of my games. You're going to be investing alot of money in a quality 7.1 setup.

I'd HIGHLY suggest looking into the logitech z680s for price and ease of use. They have everything you want, the dolby digital decoder, the standard digital input, KILLER sound.
They are the only packaged speakers/amp/decoder that has the digital input, other than creatives proprietary crap.
The run like $250 or so.

If your happy with analog 4.1 my setup is hard to beat, Z560s ($140 shipped) and I'd probably recommend the fortissimo 3 7.1 card, the santa cruz or nforce audio if you have it.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm not HTPC expert Im just a fanboy of computer hardware that works! But I'll do my best.

----
November 16, 2003 9:06:30 PM

Your not a fan of 7.1 or 6.1, even 5.1 you say? WHY? Because it's too expansive?

The audigy 2 zs and the 7.1 inspire t7700 creative speakers is ONLY like 250$ american.. That's too expansive for you?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/16/03 06:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 16, 2003 9:17:49 PM

I'd have to agree with Kinney here regarding speakers. The Logitech Z680s kick some serious ass, literally cause the bass is gonna be rumbling your ass. I got mines for $265 shipped from Dell and never looked back, great speakers for music and gaming.
November 17, 2003 12:12:46 AM

Quote:
Your not a fan of 7.1 or 6.1, even 5.1 you say? WHY? Because it's too expansive?

The audigy 2 zs and the 7.1 inspire t7700 creative speakers is ONLY like 250$ american.. That's too expansive for you?

Well they arent to expansive, but they do get pretty expensive. :wink:

I just dont care that much about sound and for me, it is to expensive.
I said before I'm not an audiophile.. all I care about is sound that works and sounds decent on my midrange pc speakers.

5.1 is good, I wouldve gotten 5.1 but there isnt a 5.1 set as cheap, and as good as the 4.1 Z560s.
The 680s like we said are great tho if your really into your sound.

I just like hearing bullets coming from behind and killer bass when I squeeze off a few rounds.. thats it.
4.1 or 5.1 does that for you.
I dont need ultimate clarity or anything.

I would be willing to bet that the Z680s would put those creative 7.1s to shame.
I've had a lot of speaker sets and the only ones I would consider is Klipsch for a 2.1 and Logitech for surround.
Monsoon has some fans but I'm not sold on their flatpanel technology yet.

I'd spent $250 on a video card (like my 9800 Pro) but not on speakers.
Mainly because I cant turn them up loud where I live.
Just priorities.

Now order something already.

----
November 17, 2003 12:16:07 AM

I have the same sub that you have (Z560 sub is same as the 680).. and it does rumble an anus.
Klipsch have great sound also but the sub bottoms out easily.
And I just cant have that when launching a bazooka in the middle of a game.

----
November 17, 2003 12:34:05 AM

The Creative speakers are not that great, Logitech makes better speakers in that range. I don't know about the Creative SoundWorks but those cost more. Look at the Logitech Z5300, they are 5.1 THX and are new for $200 or less.

BTW I was playing Medal of Honor: Spearhead and there is one part where you take control of an anti-aircraft gun. Holding the fire button down, let's just say my desk almost broke from the subwoofer on the Z680s. :lol: 
November 18, 2003 4:05:08 AM

I would like to help with the home theatre stuff on the Audigy2 ZS. The Dolby Digital and DTS are decoded by the Audigy's hardware. It will present the audio as an analog signal in channel configuration from 2 to 7.1. Merely connect this analog out to an amplified speaker system and your hearing stuff. Personally I use a Denon 5.1 Home theatre receiver connected to high quality Boston Acoustics bookcase speakers for front/rear/center and a real home theatre Mirage 100 W sub. Granted not everyone will choose to invest this much into a computer soundcard, but the Audigy sound is worthy and I use it to listen to music concert DVD's, DVD Audio Discs, CD's, Mp3's as well as gaming sound. The denon receiver was last years entry model with 70 watts/ch and I got it for 1/2 price so I found a bargin for amplification. The Audigy analog output connects to the direct 6 channel input of the amp.

The other way to decode Dolby Digital and DTS is to have the SPDIF signal "pass through" the Audigy digital output and connect to the AC-3 or digital input of a home theatre receiver. The receiver will decode the multichannel audio in the format you choose (say 5.1 dolby or DTS) and drive the speakers. I can do it both ways and both sound equal in terms of audio quality. I am satisfied with 5.1 audio. Maybe in the future I will get a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver but they are more expensive and require more speakers. Even I have limits on spending.

I have heard the Creative 7.1 digital speakers and was disappointed in the sound quality of these "computer" speakers. The logitech system sounded better, but real audio amplification and speakers make a huge impact on music content and even games although you can get away with "computer" speakers for gaming.
November 22, 2003 12:10:06 PM

Kinney--. What is an M Audio Revolution? I probably haven't checked on too many other cards out there, Just curious. Explain some of its features and real time pluses!! I can tell you I am not going to get rid of my new Audigy for this,but I like to understand and learn about whats out there...Thanks!
November 22, 2003 9:58:06 PM

M-Audio Revolution 7.1: <A HREF="http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/revolution.php" target="_new">http://www.m-audio.com/products/consumer/revolution.php...;/A>

One of my favorite sound cards. I chose the Guillemot Game Theatre XP 7.1 because it was a little cheaper and suited my needs better.

Yes, there are lots of cards out there. It's called shopping. If you just go out on the first day and pick any old card, you'll probably get screwed. You gotta choose the best one for you.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html&lt;/A><--
November 27, 2003 5:57:31 PM

I just bought the SB audigy 2 zx platinum pro. I installed it myself. Before I replace my old card I went in "add remove programs" and removed the driver. When I play games like call of duty or bf 1942 no sounds are coming out of the speakers even though I hear a shhhhhhhhh in them.

What is weird is that when I first started up my pc the first time when I finished installing the card I heard the open windows xp sound and heard the card's start up window sound. Now I don't hear any sound anymore even though everything is in default

The volumes are all up in my control panels and in the games. I don't understand why I can't hear any sounds anymore. My speakers are connect to the jack #2(the middle one). It was connected to this jack when I heard the sounds.

someone please help me. I have 2.1 speakers. There are not made by creative. (it should still work right)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/27/03 03:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 27, 2003 6:40:01 PM

ok it works now, no problem. I had to change to jack 1
November 27, 2003 10:56:36 PM

ok I think I'm going to need to buy another mic. unless I can hook it up on the card on one of the 3 jacks. Can I hook it up there somehow or does it have to be connected on the hub?
November 28, 2003 8:23:10 PM

Can someone answer my question above please about a mic?

I also have another question

I have 2 panasonic speakers. Those speakers are connected to a stereo and from the stereo I connect audio cables(red and white) too my tv. I could hear my sound through those speakers when I was playing my xbox. Behind my sound card hub there are also red and white jacks. I hooked them up there instead of my tv. But no sound are coming out of my 2 panasonic speakers. Is it possible to make sound come out of those speakers with this setup? I just bought this card and I don't know how it works.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/28/03 05:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 29, 2003 5:14:38 AM

I'm looking on the web site pic. It looks like the mic can be connected to the PCI card with a 3.5 mm stereo plug or to the outboard box with a 1/4" phone plug. You can use an adapter to convert from 3.5mm to 1/4".

The 2 RCA Jacks on the outboard box look like an external input into your Audigy mixer, not an output like you need to go through your amp to your speakers. The picture on the site is poor resolution but I'll assume that the 3.5mm jack on the PCI card may have an output that can be connected to your amp with the proper cable.
November 29, 2003 5:28:10 AM

What would be the name of the cable I would need? U know?

I would need a cable with the red and white connector like I have at one end. But at the other end I would need bigger and longer connecters so that it fits in the jacks on my card

BTW when you say amp you mean my stereo right?

Those speakers I got there kick ass. So to get 7.1 surround sound do you think I could use those 2 speakers I already have and buy 5.1 speakers. Add them together and get 7.1 surround sound? Will this work?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 11/29/03 04:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 1, 2003 5:36:31 PM

Can someone answer please? I'm waiting for an answer then I'll get a 7.1 setup.

And btw if any here thinks audigy 2 sucks, it doesn't. I have apsolutly know problems with sounds in game or even movies from games. I guess I'm lucky, right?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 12/01/03 02:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 4, 2003 12:02:02 AM

"What would be the name of the cable I would need? U know?"
...a 3.5 mm stereo plug to Stereo RCA(phono)plug.

"BTW when you say amp you mean my stereo right?"
...Yes

"So to get 7.1 surround sound do you think I could use those 2 speakers I already have and buy 5.1 speakers. Add them together and get 7.1 surround sound? Will this work?
"
...yes you could, but it would be better to match the speakers especially the front and center channels. You also have to change your stereo amp to a 7.1 surround receiver.
December 4, 2003 6:28:34 PM

"...yes you could, but it would be better to match the speakers especially the front and center channels. You also have to change your stereo amp to a 7.1 surround receiver."

1. Why would it be better to match the speakers???

2. And why would I need to change my stereo to a 7.1 surround receiver? I am hooking up those speakers to my sound card. And that sound card doesn't need receivers.
December 5, 2003 4:07:31 AM

Question 1. It is important to use voice matched drivers in order to achieve identical sound characteristics from all speakers. The same type of drivers in all five speakers gives you a seamless experience when the sound is panned across the soundstage. Having timbre matched front speakers guarantees a balanced and natural sound from the front of the room. This is home theatre basics and much of this info can be found on the web.

Question 2. I'm assuming you want to connect the sound card to a 7.1 amplifier and amplifier to speakers. The 7.1 receiver will do this. Or how do you intend to drive the other speakers?
December 5, 2003 7:24:53 PM

Does anyone know if there's a 7.1 model of the Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speaker System? I'm just wondering if I could get computer 7.1 speakers, doesn't have to be logitech.

Or if I buy the 6.1 logitech model and add up one more speaker. Will this work???

Cheap Home theather 7.1 speakers are 850$ Canadian. Just wondering if computer speakers are cheaper
December 7, 2003 11:19:05 PM

as someone trying to setup a hometheatre computer I found your post extremely useful Tweeter. Now the way you described it I need a reciever and 5 speakers + subwoofer. This way I can play games with non-computer speakers aswell put a cdplayer into the configuration etc. Can I do this with my audigy gamer or is upgrading to an audigy 2 zs really a good idea?

To cut costs I was wondering about the audigy 2 zx platinums with the external hub. It says it has a bunch of input/output things, does this mean it can output to speakers like a reciever would? I'm just curious what the advantage of the platinum series was, and if using it to output to non-computer speakers was one of them...

anywho any more information on the subject would be useful, thanks.
December 8, 2003 1:50:17 AM

tweeter, maybe you can help...
i just bought the sony 5.1 reciever, which i hooked up to my klipsch promedia 5.1 speakers... amazing sound with dvds... but i want to hook up my audigy zs
i tried the digital out on the back of card (takes a stereo-mini plug) so i got an adapter and used a digital coaxial cable to hook up to my reciever, but i get nothing
i use the same connection and cable but go to the spdif out on the front bay and that works.. but i dont get full 5.1... just the front speakers
what can i do? is my only choice to use the analog outs and go to the 6channel analog in on the reciever?
thanks
December 9, 2003 5:06:20 AM

Does anyone know if there's a 7.1 model of the Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speaker System?
...I don't think so

I'm just wondering if I could get computer 7.1 speakers, doesn't have to be logitech.
Yes, Creative Inspire™ T7700 7.1 speaker system, link http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=4&...

Or if I buy the 6.1 logitech model and add up one more speaker. Will this work???
...I doubt it

Cheap Home theather 7.1 speakers are 850$ Canadian. Just wondering if computer speakers are cheaper
...Yes, usually
December 9, 2003 5:35:08 AM

"Can I do this with my audigy gamer or is upgrading to an audigy 2 zs really a good idea?"
...You can use the audigy gamer the same way as the Audigy 2-ZS by connecting the Frt,Rear,Ctr/Sub analog outputs to the 6 channel direct input of the receiver. This way you can use your home audio speakers and switch other inputs like CD thru your receiver as well. Upgrading to the A2-ZS gives you more features, sound quality, and discrete channels.

"To cut costs I was wondering about the audigy 2 zx platinums with the external hub. It says it has a bunch of input/output things, does this mean it can output to speakers like a reciever would? "
...no the outputs on the hubs are 2 channel headphone and digital coax/optical. The receiver has the internal amplification to drive the audio signal from the sound cards analog out to the speakers with sufficient volume. A self powered sub is still needed to supply the LF channel via the receiver.

"I'm just curious what the advantage of the platinum series was, and if using it to output to non-computer speakers was one of them..."
...the hubs are not necessary to output to non-computer speakers. The PCI card will do this job very well on it's own. The advantage of the hubs are extra stereo analog inputs and digital I/O in coax and optical format and MIDI I/O. This is more useful if you are a musician and need to access these signal interfaces.
December 9, 2003 6:00:05 AM

I only have the ZS...no Plat or Plat Pro bays.
but for all of these models you will not get 5.1 digital out of the coax jack for games that can be decoded by your receiver. Only Creatives digital speaker system will do this. For games you are forced to use the analog outs to the receivers direct 6 channel input. this works very well anyways.
For DTS and Dolby Digital decoding you have 2 choices. One is the analog path as I mentioned for gaming above. The other is to connect the digital out of the PC card with a mono 1/8" plug to the receiver's digital coax input(RCA). Then select "SPDIF digital passthrough" on the DECODER (DTS/Dolby)tab in the Device controls in the Audio HQ application. The DVD player application you use must also have the audio output changed from the default "wave out" to "SPDIF". If you do these things you will get 5.1 digital to you 5.1 receiver digital input and it will decode 5.1 with it's own decoders. This is only for DVD's ...not gaming program. For DVD Audio decoding you must also use the analog outs for a home theatre receiver. The digital out for DVD-A like gaming will only work with creatives speaker system.
December 9, 2003 11:57:40 PM

Does anyone know why the remote on my audigy 2 zs platinum pro doesn't work? I pulled on the tape to activate the batterie. Then I'm poiting at the hub and I pressed on the power button then pressed all the other buttons on the remote. None of them seem to work. The volume doesn't go up or down, no display screen appears etc.........

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zemuron on 12/09/03 09:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!