The Parry Problem.

So there I was working on Hanse my Fencer and I noticed he had gained no
parry in several weeks. It was at 94.3 but I preferred it to be a nice
even 100. I tried everything, small birds, sheep, female wrestlers in the
Jhelom fighting pit. Nothing worked. I even tried killing myself with
poison and rezzing at a shrine. Then I noticed as I was switching from
my demon slaying kryss to my dragon slaying one that I gained .1 parry.

They changed parry a while back so you can parry with a weapon as well as
a shield. I think with very high weapon skill you never get a chance to
parry with the shield and that something is broken with the parry check
when it is done by a weapon.

Workaround: Go max out parry in the Jhelom pits using just shields and no
weapons in your hand.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

    Polychromic wrote:

    > So there I was working on Hanse my Fencer and I noticed he had gained no
    > parry in several weeks. It was at 94.3 but I preferred it to be a nice
    > even 100. I tried everything, small birds, sheep, female wrestlers in the
    > Jhelom fighting pit. Nothing worked. I even tried killing myself with
    > poison and rezzing at a shrine. Then I noticed as I was switching from
    > my demon slaying kryss to my dragon slaying one that I gained .1 parry.
    >
    > They changed parry a while back so you can parry with a weapon as well as
    > a shield. I think with very high weapon skill you never get a chance to
    > parry with the shield and that something is broken with the parry check
    > when it is done by a weapon.
    >
    > Workaround: Go max out parry in the Jhelom pits using just shields and no
    > weapons in your hand.

    I found using a shield and a cow works well... =p
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On 28 Aug 2004 14:58:35 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

    >>> Workaround: Go max out parry in the Jhelom pits using just shields and no
    >>> weapons in your hand.
    >>>

    >Another workaround: Equip a weapon you have 0 skill in, for whatever reason, it
    >makes it so you'll block less effectively, thus making more parry checks...
    >When Cy was regaining his parry, he went from 0-100 just fighting sheep(and a
    >cow and dog) in Yew, went through 3 shadow iron shields(for durability), and
    >weilded a skinning knife, the parry gains were amazing, even in the high 90's.
    >
    >~Cyrus of Sosaria~

    The advantage of the Jhelom pit is you can get more than 9 creatures
    attacking you at once since they have no problem overlapping. I never
    could get sheep to overlap.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Polychromic wrote:
    > I never
    > could get sheep to overlap.

    TMI !!!
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    I trained my pally in parry by targeting 2 sheep, 2 chickens, and a tern,
    and then taking out a a sixth critter so he wouldn't target the five others.
    It was only a couple hours and two shields getting from NPC trained to low
    80's.

    Can't have looked very impressive to passer-by's but it did the job. <g>
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Baydlor wrote:

    > I trained my pally in parry by targeting 2 sheep, 2 chickens, and a tern,
    > and then taking out a a sixth critter so he wouldn't target the five others.
    > It was only a couple hours and two shields getting from NPC trained to low
    > 80's.
    >
    > Can't have looked very impressive to passer-by's but it did the job. <g>

    A tern???
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:41:17 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"
    <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

    >Baydlor wrote:
    >
    >> I trained my pally in parry by targeting 2 sheep, 2 chickens, and a tern,
    >> and then taking out a a sixth critter so he wouldn't target the five others.
    >> It was only a couple hours and two shields getting from NPC trained to low
    >> 80's.
    >>
    >> Can't have looked very impressive to passer-by's but it did the job. <g>
    >>

    > A tern???

    I said before that birds are the best animals to parry from because
    they're so fast, but they're a pain to collect into a nice group too.

    --
    Michael Cecil
    http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message
    > Baydlor wrote:
    >
    > > I trained my pally in parry by targeting 2 sheep, 2 chickens, and a
    tern,
    > > and then taking out a a sixth critter so he wouldn't target the five
    others.
    > > It was only a couple hours and two shields getting from NPC trained to
    low
    > > 80's.
    > >
    > > Can't have looked very impressive to passer-by's but it did the job. <g>
    > >

    > A tern???

    A bird. It came wandering by as I was gathering opponets.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Baydlor wrote:

    >>>Can't have looked very impressive to passer-by's but it did the job. <g>
    >>>

    >> A tern???
    >

    > A bird. It came wandering by as I was gathering opponets.

    And you just HAD to take a tern for the worst....
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:41:17 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]"
    > <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Baydlor wrote:
    > >
    > >> I trained my pally in parry by targeting 2 sheep, 2 chickens, and a
    tern,
    > >> and then taking out a a sixth critter so he wouldn't target the five
    others.
    > >> It was only a couple hours and two shields getting from NPC trained to
    low
    > >> 80's.
    > >>
    > >> Can't have looked very impressive to passer-by's but it did the job.
    <g>

    > > A tern???
    >
    > I said before that birds are the best animals to parry from because
    > they're so fast, but they're a pain to collect into a nice group too.

    I've always had problems collecting birds in large groups :)

    Archeon
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    <g>

    > >> A tern???
    > >

    > > A bird. It came wandering by as I was gathering opponets.
    > >

    > And you just HAD to take a tern for the worst....

    AAwwwww.....
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

    <g>

    > >> A tern???
    > >

    > > A bird. It came wandering by as I was gathering opponets.
    > >

    > And you just HAD to take a tern for the worst....

    Ouch... :)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Baydlor wrote:

    > "WindsorFox[SS]" <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote in message

    > <g>

    >>>A bird. It came wandering by as I was gathering opponets.
    >>>

    >> And you just HAD to take a tern for the worst....
    >

    > Ouch... :)

    Actually, that was supposed to be tern for the wurst...
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

    Who 'braut' the wurst?

Computers Games Video Games