Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Newbie question about surround sound speaker cables

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 2:47:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
greatly appreciated.
Mike Francis
Anonymous
May 21, 2004 10:18:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

The experts here believe "wire is wire", but if you want some store
terminated wire there are
a number of fairly inexpensive brands like Tributary and Audioquest(F-4)
that perform well.
Interconnects under $100.00 each and speaker cables under $200/pair was
the last suggestion
I read. The engineers like 16 guage copper from Home Depot.

Mike Francis wrote:

> I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
> system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
> OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
> upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
> audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
> Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
> 704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
> larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
> wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
> greatly appreciated.
> Mike Francis
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 8:23:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

"Mike Francis" <mdfranci@airmail.net> wrote in message
news:c8jci101a5f@news1.newsguy.com...
> I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
> system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
> OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
> upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
> audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
> Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
> 704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
> larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
> wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
> greatly appreciated.
> Mike Francis


I'd recommend 12 gauge--it's not much more expensive than 16 gauge. The
'better grade' isn't necessary. This link is the best I've found addressing
the marketing evolution of wire/cable:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm (the gauge/length matrix may be
helpful, too!)
May 22, 2004 8:26:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

Philip Meech wrote:
> The experts here believe "wire is wire", but if you want some store
> terminated wire there are
> a number of fairly inexpensive brands like Tributary and Audioquest(F-4)
> that perform well.
> Interconnects under $100.00 each and speaker cables under $200/pair was
> the last suggestion
> I read. The engineers like 16 guage copper from Home Depot.

Well, this engineer likes 12-gauge copper wires for speaker cables,
whether from Home Depot, Lowes, Monster or Radio Shack. They all sound
the same, so buy whichever you like.

For interconnects, Radio Shack probably has the best selection at
reasonable prices.

>
> Mike Francis wrote:
>
>> I am having a house built and I finally get a room to setup an audio
>> system in. The surround sound wiring in the house is standard 16 gauge
>> OFC wire and I need to find out if this is acceptable or should I
>> upgrade. I am just beginning home audio but have always been a car
>> audio nut running Dynaudio's and high current amplifiers and 12 gauge
>> Monster wire throughout. I am buying a Denon AVR 3803 receiver and B&W
>> 704's and 705's for front and rear stage. I would think that I need
>> larger gauge wire like 14 or 12 and also upgrade to a better grade of
>> wire like the twisted wire from Straight Wire, any input will be
>> greatly appreciated.
>> Mike Francis
>
!