Anyone know what exploit is being patched today?

Last response: in Video Games
September 8, 2004 5:23:29 AM

Disabling sailing across server boundaries sounds like an exploit fix so I
wonder what was happening?

Of course, I got the server going down message (the first one I have seen
in several years) just as I started sailing my ship so Severin could do
some uninterrupted Chivalry training...

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

More about : exploit patched today

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:37:55 PM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:19:46 -0400, Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:

>After what now..... 7 years...... Something like the 8x8 ought to fall
>under open domain or something. I mean if it's such a problem then why
>address it NOW??

When did we first figure out 8x8? I don't think I paid any attention to
it until at least the 3rd age.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:37:25 AM

Bit like if its not broke why fix it?
Like ya said 8x8 has been around for as long as uo has been around.
*sighs* thats osi for you, i can think of many things they need to
fix...not sailing around on a wee boaty.
September 13, 2004 11:01:29 AM

"Rahwyn" <hcwynne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bit like if its not broke why fix it?
> Like ya said 8x8 has been around for as long as uo has been around.
> *sighs* thats osi for you, i can think of many things they need to
> fix...not sailing around on a wee boaty.

Dunno if this was the exploit, but....

My nephew was 72-hr banned for realising that if you go to Doom Gauntlet and
keep the door open when it locks, it'll lock in an open position (letting
anyone in and out at all times).

That may have been it (or one of them)

He's not been back on to test ;->

--
psz
Anonymous

psz wrote:

> Dunno if this was the exploit, but....
>

> My nephew was 72-hr banned for realising that if you go to Doom Gauntlet and
> keep the door open when it locks, it'll lock in an open position (letting
> anyone in and out at all times).
>

> That may have been it (or one of them)
>
> He's not been back on to test ;->

Okay I'm sorry, but this pisses me off. So holding the door open
till it locks and stays that way is a banable offense, but going to
Haven and gating fools who don't know any better to a Felucca Savage
camp is "using the game mechanics". Some GM in India needs to be
beaten with a buddah doll...
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:46:50 PM

On 2004-09-14, WindsorFox[SS] <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:
> psz wrote:
>
>> Dunno if this was the exploit, but....
>>

>> My nephew was 72-hr banned for realising that if you go to Doom Gauntlet and
>> keep the door open when it locks, it'll lock in an open position (letting
>> anyone in and out at all times).
>>

>> That may have been it (or one of them)
>>
>> He's not been back on to test ;->
>
> Okay I'm sorry, but this pisses me off. So holding the door open
> till it locks and stays that way is a banable offense, but going to
> Haven and gating fools who don't know any better to a Felucca Savage
> camp is "using the game mechanics". Some GM in India needs to be
> beaten with a buddah doll...

Apparantly the sailing bug was what was allowing people to dupe their
character transfer characters.

You could point your boat towards a server line, give it the "forward"
command, and then log off and initiate your character transfer. The
transfer service apparantly couldn't handle this particular behaviour,
where the character ended up on a different sub-server than the
transfer service first found it on.

Brian K
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:46:51 PM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:46:50 GMT, Brian Keener
<keenerb@roleplayga.org> wrote:

>> Okay I'm sorry, but this pisses me off. So holding the door open
>> till it locks and stays that way is a banable offense, but going to
>> Haven and gating fools who don't know any better to a Felucca Savage
>> camp is "using the game mechanics". Some GM in India needs to be
>> beaten with a buddah doll...
>
>Apparantly the sailing bug was what was allowing people to dupe their
>character transfer characters.
>
>You could point your boat towards a server line, give it the "forward"
>command, and then log off and initiate your character transfer. The
>transfer service apparantly couldn't handle this particular behaviour,
>where the character ended up on a different sub-server than the
>transfer service first found it on.

Trust OSI to find a way to dupe characters.
--
I'm on a journey in search of myself.
If I get back first, let me know that I'm

wrote:

>On 2004-09-14, WindsorFox[SS] <windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:
>> psz wrote:
>>
>>> Dunno if this was the exploit, but....
>>>
>>> My nephew was 72-hr banned for realising that if you go to Doom Gauntlet and
>>> keep the door open when it locks, it'll lock in an open position (letting
>>> anyone in and out at all times).

Doesn't it just reset the next cycle?

>>> That may have been it (or one of them)
>>>
>>> He's not been back on to test ;->
>>
>> Okay I'm sorry, but this pisses me off. So holding the door open
>> till it locks and stays that way is a banable offense, but going to
>> Haven and gating fools who don't know any better to a Felucca Savage
>> camp is "using the game mechanics". Some GM in India needs to be
>> beaten with a buddah doll...

My little brother started UO about a week ago. I met him in Haven with a
new but not [young] character so we could start some adventuring and there
were dozens of scammers just waiting to pounce on the gullible there.
*sniffle* Reminded me of year 1.

>Apparantly the sailing bug was what was allowing people to dupe their
>character transfer characters.
>
>You could point your boat towards a server line, give it the "forward"
>command, and then log off and initiate your character transfer. The
>transfer service apparantly couldn't handle this particular behaviour,
>where the character ended up on a different sub-server than the
>transfer service first found it on.

Shoot, I'm surprised they cared. They're still getting their $20 or
whatever right? Unless there was a way to do transfers and not pay the
fee. But it does make sense when you think about how the char transfer
service has been going down every week or two. They've probably known
about the problem for a while and just figured out how it was being done.

I wonder why I missed some of the earlier messages in this thread. I
think I'll switch over to a different server if this keeps up. Weird.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 9:21:15 PM

Polychromic wrote:

> Well one guy was offering 100gp for his horn of retreat and newbie ticket.
> Another fellow claimed to be recruiting for a new guild. Just step into
> the pink gate to join up...
>
> I didn't pay much attention other than note that they were there.

LOL well the horn of retreat is kinna worthless, more so the
ticket. Obviously he wanted the ticket for a house decoration.
However, the ticket should go for at least the price of a hair
restyle deed. The other guy should be shot. Those are the -S- and HOT
asses and the GMs laugh and carry on with them about it. There should
be a rule of only hiring people over 35 to be GMs.