Spades or bananas?

Last response: in Home Audio
June 2, 2004 9:25:38 AM

I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?

Mike Prager
North Carolina, USA

More about : spades bananas

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 3:26:09 AM

Many home theater receivers by Onkyo and Sony do not accept spades
because of a high plastic collar
at the base of the binding post. Some speakers such as Wharfedale
Diamond 8.1 Anniversary do not take
bananas. You may run your speakers through a subwoofer. In order to get
it right, you need to be quite precise
about what components you are connecting and their binding post
capabilities.

Mike Prager wrote:

> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 3:29:00 AM

As a dealer I usually use bananas for convenience in swapping speakers. My
untested opinion is that spades may be better if you have the right spade
lug and a terminal that will withstand a good tightening.
Choosing is difficult because there are significant construction and
materials differences between the various bananas and the various spade
lugs. For example you can get cheap spade lugs that are made of some
unknown material with what apears to be cadmium plating, or you can get
expensive pure copper spades with silver plating. I have assumed that there
would be a performance difference, but I have never done a serious study, or
read one. I just use the nearest thing that looks well made that isn't too
expensive. It would be a service if someone who has made a study of the
relative merits of various spades and/or bananas would post the results
here.

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store
Saint Louis Missouri

"Mike Prager" <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 3:29:21 AM

Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message news:<mxdvc.29842$pt3.29510@attbi_s03>...
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

I prefer XLR connectors or similar bayonet systems. Several are on the market.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 3:35:05 AM

>I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
>banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
>thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
>many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?

My sense of it is that spades make a better connection. But you're right-
dealers do use banana plugs, but there's a reason- with banana plugs, it's far
easier to move speakers around, switch speakers connected to a certain amp.,
etc.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:20:10 AM

Mike Prager hifi@ec.rr.com wrote:

>I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
>banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
>thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
>many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
>Mike Prager
>North Carolina, USA

Spade Lugs drive me Bananas. The newer large style spades are worse as they
tend to want to work loose when used with 5-way binding posts.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:20:30 AM

Dealers often use bananas for ease of switching speakers. Both bananas and
spades may be had in a variety of materials and levels of wirkmanship, so
the question is probably more complicated than "which one is better". Sorry
I don't have definitive nnswert, but perghaps someone has done a serious
comparison and will inform both of us.

Wylie Williams

"Mike Prager" <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:15:29 AM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 05:25:38 GMT, Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote:

>I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
>banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
>thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
>many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?

Spades will always make a better connection, but bananas are quicker
for dealers who are swapping speakers and amps all the time.

June 3, 2004 7:53:40 PM

"Nousaine" makes the point
> Spade Lugs drive me Bananas. The newer large style spades are worse as
they
> tend to want to work loose when used with 5-way binding posts.

I used Google to check connectors and found a site (cablepro.com) that has
small (manageable size, not clumsy jumbo size) silver-plated copper spades
for $1.50 each, and also a few other connectors including WBT expanding
banana plugs for $35 each.
Although I'm sure generic spades can probably be had from Home Depot for a
lot less I would spring for the $1.50 ones on general principles. On the
other hand I would have to be seriously persuaded to pop $35 each for a
single banana.

While I recall that years ago The Absolute Sound was all gaga about Monster
Cable expanding banana plugs, the subject is generally ignored. With so many
RAHE contributors who have compared various expensive audiophile wires to
Home Depot wire you would think that the terminals would have been examined
at some point. There are some very expensive connectors on the market, and
knowing their relative merits would be helpful.

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 8:10:20 PM

"Michael Scarpitti" <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
> >
> > Mike Prager
> > North Carolina, USA
>
> I prefer XLR connectors or similar bayonet systems. Several are on the
market.

What speakers are you using that have XLR or similar connectors? I haven't
come across any in the mainstream.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 8:13:45 PM

Wylie has got it right. The reason that you see bananas in a dealer
showroom so often is for the dealer's convenience in changing
speakers. It also makes for a quick swap without a long wait for the
customer in set-ups that do not have a speaker selector. I think both
connection types work equally well as long as they make a solid
connection. Spade lugs are good for a semi-permanent installation,
where you want to connect it and forget it. For commercial assembly of
electrical equipment where a quick disconnect is not required, ring
terminals are the favorite as they stay connected even if a screw is
not torqued fully. The spade is the next best thing and is still
fairly convenient.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Wylie Williams" <wyberwil@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> As a dealer I usually use bananas for convenience in swapping
speakers. My
> untested opinion is that spades may be better if you have the right
spade
> lug and a terminal that will withstand a good tightening.
> Choosing is difficult because there are significant construction and
> materials differences between the various bananas and the various
spade
> lugs. For example you can get cheap spade lugs that are made of
some
> unknown material with what apears to be cadmium plating, or you can
get
> expensive pure copper spades with silver plating. I have assumed
that there
> would be a performance difference, but I have never done a serious
study, or
> read one. I just use the nearest thing that looks well made that
isn't too
> expensive. It would be a service if someone who has made a study of
the
> relative merits of various spades and/or bananas would post the
results
> here.
>
> Wylie Williams
> The Speaker and Stereo Store
> Saint Louis Missouri
>

> "Mike Prager" <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
> >
> > Mike Prager
> > North Carolina, USA

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 10:15:18 PM

Bruce Abrams brucea@optonline.net wrote:

>"Michael Scarpitti" <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
>> > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
>> > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
>> > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
>> > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>> >
>> > Mike Prager
>> > North Carolina, USA
>>
>> I prefer XLR connectors or similar bayonet systems. Several are on the
>market.
>
>What speakers are you using that have XLR or similar connectors? I haven't
>come across any in the mainstream.

Some professional spealers come with Speakon connectors which have some
characteristics similar to XLR such as a locking device.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 1:19:33 AM

Mike Prager wrote:
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

I use bare wire ends at home. I bought Monster cable, but when I
realized how ludicrous their terminations were, <snip> and voila. A bit
fussy, but the speaker binding posts *do not* come untorqued anymore.

Is this practice not recommended for some reason?

-Sean
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:28:19 AM

"Mike Prager" <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

Are the other wires broken?

The best connection is one that is connected securely. It makes absolutely
no difference what you use to accomplish it. Unless you plan to be moving
your speakers around a lot, you don't really need anything other than the
bare wire.

As a DIY speaker hobbyist, I use banana plugs since they disconnect easily.

Please yourself is the first and only rule you need to follow on this issue.

Pleasure is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:28:56 AM

"Mike Prager" <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

If spades are made of good quality copper, heavy guage that won't splay out
when tightened, and soldered onto the speaker cable, then spades are better.
There are some banana plugs with expanding mandrels that fit very well, but
the general test equipment bananas don't retain their springiness for long,
and a poor contact results, IMO. And if they get pulled sideways just once,
the plug will need to be replaced or the "peel" re-bent. They were never
designed to carry much current, they are test equipment connectors, useful
for quick connecting and reconnecting.
I use speakon connectors extensively in my sound reinforcement work, but not
in my home system. I wonder how stable their contact resistance is?
Tom
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:33:56 AM

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 05:25:38 GMT, Mike Prager wrote:
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always thought that
> spades made a better connection, but I notice many dealers seem to
> be using bananas. Comment?

What about double banana plugs? They help to avoid short circuits
when changing equipment, unlike spades or standard banana plugs.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

"Wylie Williams" wyberwil@earthlink.net wrote:

....snips...

>While I recall that years ago The Absolute Sound was all gaga about Monster
>Cable expanding banana plugs, the subject is generally ignored. With so many
>RAHE contributors who have compared various expensive audiophile wires to
>Home Depot wire you would think that the terminals would have been examined
>at some point. There are some very expensive connectors on the market, and
>knowing their relative merits would be helpful.
>
>Wylie Williams
>The Speaker and Stereo Store

I've used the Monster expanding bananas. Well sort-of. On the pair of speaker
cables that came with them the banana connectors were defective. The sliding
pin was locked forward in one and wouldn't retract far enough to allow the pin
to be inserted in the jack. The other inserted fine but when the nut was turned
the pin moved forward but then wouldn't retract leaving me with a center pin
stuck in my jack. After some careful work I was able to get the connector free
of the jack but I was worried about damaging the speaker.

As far as banana connectors go for plugs I regularly use Pamona brand. A number
of year ago I bought enough of them to cover all my existing connections,
including test bench. I'm still using all but 2 of them, which became rusty
after a couple years inside a car door panel. Actually the plugs themselves
were still fine but the set-screws had rusted in the sleeve.

The ones on my test bench get used over and over and as of now I haven't had
any fail to make a good connection. The petals do not fatigue.

The main problem with a Pomona single or dual banana plug is that a set screw
can disappear when your ready to attach a wire to the plug. When you loosen
them its possible to back the screw off so far that it falls out of the sleeve.
This most often happens when you forget to make sure the screw is seated in
the sleeve when you stack the pllugs up for storage and one will slip out when
get ready to use it again.

About 10 years ago (maybe more) I bought a jar of 100 set screws for $13.50.
Last year when a friend said that he needed a few I counted out that I still
had 70 of my original 100. That means that I had lost roughly 3 or fewer per
year during which time I sometimes tested several dozen speakers/speaker
systems per year.
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:37:03 AM

Gold plated bananas are readily available and reasonably priced.
Anyone owning a good wheatstone bridge might measure the difference in
contact resistance using both methods. I think factors such as
bi-amping and using active crossovers make much greater performance
differences. IMHO

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 05:25:38 GMT, Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote:

>I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
>banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
>thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
>many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
>Mike Prager
>North Carolina, USA
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 3:37:25 AM

Bare wire makes a very good connection with many types of connectors,
but some wire is solid core and must be terminated for the best fit
and longevity. Whatever gives you the best connection and lowest
resistance is good. The ultimate connector would be no connector where
it is practical.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Sean Fulop" <sfulop@uchicago.edu> wrote in message
> Mike Prager wrote:
> > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
> >
> > Mike Prager
> > North Carolina, USA
> >

> I use bare wire ends at home. I bought Monster cable, but when I
> realized how ludicrous their terminations were, <snip> and voila. A
bit
> fussy, but the speaker binding posts *do not* come untorqued
anymore.

> Is this practice not recommended for some reason?
>
> -Sean

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 7:31:41 AM

"Sean Fulop" <sfulop@uchicago.edu> wrote in message
> Mike Prager wrote:
> > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
> >
> > Mike Prager
> > North Carolina, USA
> >

> I use bare wire ends at home. I bought Monster cable, but when I
> realized how ludicrous their terminations were, <snip> and voila. A bit
> fussy, but the speaker binding posts *do not* come untorqued anymore.
>
> Is this practice not recommended for some reason?

Bare wire is typically not used as it leaves the wire exposed and more
highly susceptible to oxidation. Terminating into a gold plated connector,
either banana or spade, is generally better, assuming good soldering
practices are adhered.

> -Sean

Anonymous
June 4, 2004 8:35:54 PM

Bruce Abrams <brucea@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<M3Ivc.3037$%F2.2418@attbi_s04>...
> "Michael Scarpitti" <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> > > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> > > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
> > >
> > > Mike Prager
> > > North Carolina, USA
> >
> > I prefer XLR connectors or similar bayonet systems. Several are on the
> market.
>
> What speakers are you using that have XLR or similar connectors? I haven't
> come across any in the mainstream.

Neutrik connectors are the ones I was thinking of:

http://www.neutrik.com/start.asp
Anonymous
June 4, 2004 8:36:13 PM

Michael McKelvy wrote:

> Are the other wires broken?

not long enough for new setup

Mike Prager
North Carolina, USA
June 4, 2004 8:40:15 PM

Bruce Abrams wrote:
> "Sean Fulop" <sfulop@uchicago.edu> wrote in message
>> Mike Prager wrote:
>>> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
>>> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
>>> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
>>> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>>>

> Bare wire is typically not used as it leaves the wire exposed and more
> highly susceptible to oxidation. Terminating into a gold plated
> connector, either banana or spade, is generally better, assuming good
> soldering practices are adhered.

A gold plated connector might have some use in automobile HiFi, but when the
receptacles are not of the same material it will not be of any advantage
other than optical. Dissimilar metals create a thermic voltage at their
joints. Migration of ions can pollute the surfaces etc.
Soldering the cable ends is a bad practice. Much better is crimping. If you
solder a stranded cable it becomes brittle where the soldered part starts
and the individual strands break much easier. IMHO it is better to use bare
wires, if you do not have the crimping tools. Even if it is against "common
sense", engineers use crimping as the most reliable and least corroding
connection practice.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

While that is true, it is very uncommon for a tinned lead to break-off
under normal use. In addition to the numerous banana connectors that
we use here, I also make-up a couple pairs of cables with bare ends
and then tin the ends with silver solder. That makes a strong pin
connector that protects from oxidation and eliminates the possibility
of shorts from a loose strand. These can be used over and over again
without any failure or maintenance. In fact, the joint of a crimped
connector and the joint of a well soldered connector share the same
weak point, which is the bare wire itself at the joint. I do rather
like the idea of a bare wire connection in cases where it can be made
gas tight and of a good crimped connection when a terminator is
desired. If I am feeling especially industrious, I also sometimes
silver solder over the crimped connection for added strength.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Ban" <bansuri@web.de> wrote in message
news:p B1wc.50512$Ly.12660@attbi_s01...
> Bruce Abrams wrote:
> > "Sean Fulop" <sfulop@uchicago.edu> wrote in message
> >>>

> > Bare wire is typically not used as it leaves the wire exposed and
more
> > highly susceptible to oxidation. Terminating into a gold plated
> > connector, either banana or spade, is generally better, assuming
good
> > soldering practices are adhered.
> >

> A gold plated connector might have some use in automobile HiFi, but
when the
> receptacles are not of the same material it will not be of any
advantage
> other than optical. Dissimilar metals create a thermic voltage at
their
> joints. Migration of ions can pollute the surfaces etc.
> Soldering the cable ends is a bad practice. Much better is crimping.
If you
> solder a stranded cable it becomes brittle where the soldered part
starts
> and the individual strands break much easier. IMHO it is better to
use bare
> wires, if you do not have the crimping tools. Even if it is against
"common
> sense", engineers use crimping as the most reliable and least
corroding
> connection practice.
>
> --
> ciao Ban
> Bordighera, Italy

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 1:28:16 AM

I prefer spade connections like the Postmaster type that have a wafer of
silicone between two spades, they stay tight and don't need much effort to
tighten down. Terminals that aren't chassis keyed occasionally get
over-tightened with conventional spades so its possible for the whole
assembly to rotate causing the twisting or fracturing of the internal
connection.

Mike Gilmour

"Mike Prager" <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
>
> Mike Prager
> North Carolina, USA

Anonymous
June 5, 2004 2:56:26 AM

Bruce Abrams <brucea@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<M3Ivc.3037$%F2.2418@attbi_s04>...
> "Michael Scarpitti" <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> > > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> > > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
> > >
> > > Mike Prager
> > > North Carolina, USA
> >
> > I prefer XLR connectors or similar bayonet systems. Several are on the
> market.
>
> What speakers are you using that have XLR or similar connectors? I haven't
> come across any in the mainstream.

I bought a set of Rogers Studio 1's in 1981, which had XLR terminals,
as these were designed as studio monitors. I recently acquired a set
of Yamaha NS-1000M's and had XLR connectors installed. I imagine any
pro shop can perform such mods on most speakers. There are other
clip-on styles besides XLR's, but I cannot think of the brand name...
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 2:57:59 AM

Bruce Abrams <brucea@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<M3Ivc.3037$%F2.2418@attbi_s04>...
> "Michael Scarpitti" <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Mike Prager <hifi@ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always
> > > thought that spades made a better connection, but I notice
> > > many dealers seem to be using bananas. Comment?
> > >
> > > Mike Prager
> > > North Carolina, USA
> >
> > I prefer XLR connectors or similar bayonet systems. Several are on the
> market.
>
> What speakers are you using that have XLR or similar connectors? I haven't
> come across any in the mainstream.

See also:

http://www.audiogear.com/Neutrkcart.html
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 3:01:26 AM

They are fine when you can use them, but many components and speakers
do not have connectors with standard spacing.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Alan Hoyle" <alanh@unc.edu> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 05:25:38 GMT, Mike Prager wrote:
> > I am buying a pair of speaker cables & wonder if spade lugs or
> > banana plugs are preferred by rahe folks. I had always thought
that
> > spades made a better connection, but I notice many dealers seem to
> > be using bananas. Comment?
>
> What about double banana plugs? They help to avoid short circuits
> when changing equipment, unlike spades or standard banana plugs.
>
> -alan
>
> --
> Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
> "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
> Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.
Anonymous
June 5, 2004 3:52:18 AM

The Monster Cable locking banana plugs are worthless! I bought a set of
these very expensive plugs. The spade lug slides into a collar which, after
tightened, can be locked into position with an incredibly small Allen
wrench. Unfortunately, the nut strips out very easily. Then, to expand the
banana plug for a really tight fit, ones turns a knurled screw until it
tightens. Again, two stripped out preventing a tight fit. I wrote to Monster
and they replaced two of them and one was defective. They again replaced the
bad one and its replacement was no good! So, to heck with them!!

!