Sign in with
Your question

Getting 4 SATA drives to work...

Last response: in Storage
November 16, 2003 6:29:11 AM

I have a Gigabyte ga-8knxp (rev 2) mobo and I've been using a wd 250gb sata and a maxtor 250gb sata for a little while with no raid. I added two seagate barracuda 120gb sata drives and I wanted to put them in as regular drives (no raid). In the device manager, you can see the two added disks, but it doesn't say they're SCSI drives like it does for the two 250gb drives and you don't get the same option tabs in the device manager like the two big drives do. In windows explorer, it shows one of the barracudas listed AFTER all of the optical drives are, but it does say that it's a local disk. Why is it only seeing one drive? Why doesn't it look at it like a scsi like the other two drives? Why does it list it after the optical drives??

The only other drives I have in the system are the floppy, a dvd rom, and a dvd burner on ide channels 0 and 1. Prior to the installation of the two barracudas, everything was working ok.

Thanks.

More about : sata drives work

November 17, 2003 12:02:39 PM

Your 4 SATA channels are controlled by 2 different controllers:
SATA0_SB/SATA1_SB (ICH5R, RAID)
SATA0_SII/SATA1_SII (SiI3112) (hp)

Your first 2 channels are RAID channels which can also be used individually. The 2nd 2 channels are not RAID.
One of the SATA -the RAID one- controllers advertises itself to the BIOS as a SCSI controller, the other one as a SATA controller. Advertising yourself as a SCSI controller is actually only a simple trick to tell the BIOS that this device is bootable. This was neccessary when RAID controllers were seldom used, and then only in SCSI environments.

I can't tell from your description which drives are connected to which controller, but I expect that the seagate/maxtor is connected to the SiI3112 controller chip (non-raid, and therefore not advertising itself as scsi but as SATA), and the barracudas are connected to your SATA RAID controller.

Now the SATA RAID controller wants to know how you want to treat the connected drives. I'm not sure if this controller supports individual drives, but it might have decided when you attached 2 individual drives at the same time that you wanted a RAID1 config. So now you need to go into your RAID config menu and decide how you want your drives to be configured.

AFAIK Windows Explorer shows devices in order of drive letter. Drive letters can be assigned to drives at will. Go to the system management console, select the Logical Disk Manager, select a partition and right-click...
November 18, 2003 4:31:52 AM

You da man! I reset them both as normal drives in the raid utility. Then the "computer management" utility in XPs admin tools did the rest. I was trying to fix it in device manager like you do in Win 98. It showed up there and I set it to a "basic disk" from there and then formatted it, rearranged all of the hard drive & optical drive letters, rebooted, and everything was great. At least microsoft did something good by making that utility...

Thanks.
!